News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to create Scheduled Tasks in SMF 2.0

Started by Miker1029, May 22, 2016, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miker1029

Hey,

I see the topic is old, but I could use some help, I have a MOD in that uses the Run-Task (Auto Added) option, The MOD Isn't built so well, if you go into settings on the mod and change the data it doesn't change the Data/Settings in scheduled tasks, Now Ya, I can PhpmyAdmin the DB, And remove the data for that mod in tasks, and when I go to the MOD and re-eneter the (old/new) data, It runs the task with the new settings.....

NOW, For the Question, Is there a way to Just delete a Task from the Admin Center???

I mighta missed (or forgot) it....

Seems Logical to have one if there isn't, tho, Maybe Idea for 2.1- Ain't messed with that As they're not taking it out of Alpha anytime soon, Plus Waiting for .ext to build up 9-)

Mike

Arantor

No, there is no way to add or remove one from the admin centre and it strikes me as a feature that SMF shouldn't incorporate as it encourages mod authors to not do things properly.

Irisado

Topic split.  For future reference, it's much better to start new topics rather than to raise old ones from two or more years ago.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Miker1029

Quote from: Irisado on May 23, 2016, 01:26:50 PM
Topic split.  For future reference, it's much better to start new topics rather than to raise old ones from two or more years ago.

Ok Will do next time..

@Arantor  Ya, I agree, But Stinks for the END USER, 8 Months ago I would have been worried of frying my DB stopping around in there,  But there should be an Option to Remove tasks Built into SMF 2.0.11, Heck What If I didn't want to have the built in tasks...Ya you can Disable...But...

Dunno just just seems that it'd be handy..

But thanks for the reply.

Mike

Arantor

I don't agree that it stinks - and I'm the one who wrote the guide.

Only a handful of mods ever created tasks in the first place (I was involved in most of them to some degree or another), and if a mod doesn't clean up after itself on uninstallation, that's an issue that should be flagged up to the author so they can fix it.

You can disable the built in tasks. You can disable any scheduled task that uses the standard scheduled system the exact same way, since they all work in literally the same database table, so that's not an issue.

As for adding a remove option, it will not happen in 2.0 because that's not getting new features (and hasn't since 2011 when 2.0.0 was released), and I would argue strongly against it being in 2.1.0 on the basis that this will cause issues when people end up removing key system tasks that need to be there, like the daily maintenance (if people remove it manually, that's their own lookout as far as I'm concerned)

For your individual use case, I can see how you think it might be useful. But years of working with SMF admins tells me it won't be - you are the first person I remember to have asked for it.

Miker1029

Ya now that you put it that way, I would agree with you.  And yes, The Mod Should be notified, and a fix be put in place, But I've noticed A LOT of Mod Creators don't have time to keep up with it, as Life gets in the way, which I understand...

Quoteyou are the first person I remember to have asked for it.

Well, To me as I understand the MOD Approval System here, It's really not gone over with a fine tooth comb (So To Speak) do to time issues (As I've read), But say a MOD is Old, Or The forum is not notified the author isn't supporting the MOD anymore, THEN you would Really need a Removal Tool To Completely Uninstall the MOD

And Ya I could see me as a NOOB to SMF removing them  ::) and I haven't disabled any of them, as I want them to run!

Mike

Advertisement: