News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New, intermittent problem

Started by GuernseyPete, July 07, 2016, 05:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuernseyPete

I'm on the current version of 1.1.21 and have beeen using SMF for years with few issues but suddenly I've started get the following error message - not always but mostly. It usually happens when I've entered a post - it seems to hang for a while then gives this error, although the post or other action does get completed. I've checked with my hosting provider and there are no database or connection issues (I share the server with a number of othe SQL databases that continue to work fine). Can anyone help please?

Database Error: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
File: /home/content/04/7091804/html/smf_1-1-11_install/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 2560Database Error: The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
File: /home/content/04/7091804/html/smf_1-1-11_install/Sources/Load.php
Line: 2020

Illori

you would need to contact your host to get them to fix that issue.

GuernseyPete

They say it's an application issue - as I say, my other applications on the same server are fine.

I also get the following message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Illori

there is no way that first error message is an "application issue" somehow their mysql server got started in read only mode, there is no way at all SMF can cause that to happen. if they will not fix it on their end i would start looking for a new host.

also for the internal server error, they should be able to tell you why it is happening if they cant find a new host. you should also be looking to upgrade to SMF 2.0 as SMF 1.1.* may not be getting further security updates moving forward.

ziycon

As said before this is an issue only your host can resolve, there are two possible causes.

1) MySQL might to go read only, due to a disk issue or corruption of a database.
2) Someone has set the global read_only flag as on: SET GLOBAL read_only = ON;

There is nothing anyone but the host can do as any errors would be in the logs where in most cases a user on a shared host wont have access to.

GuernseyPete

Thanks for these responses.

The host has suggested that I set up a new SQL database and export my tables to it - do you think that is good advice or should I push back and make them fix it?

Also, would upgrading to SMF 2 be likely to fix the problem?

Illori

neither will fix the problem. your host is feeding you anything they can to make it seem like they are solving your problem but it is THEIR problem.

you will need to upgrade at some point in the near future anyway.

ziycon

Quote from: GuernseyPete on July 07, 2016, 07:14:25 AM

Thanks for these responses.

The host has suggested that I set up a new SQL database and export my tables to it - do you think that is good advice or should I push back and make them fix it?

Also, would upgrading to SMF 2 be likely to fix the problem?
I think you need to push back again, if it was a case that the global read-only setting is set on it will affect any database you create, similarly if its a disk issue it will continue to happen.

No harm trying a new database in the interm, but it might only be a stop-gap fix if there are underlying issues.

Illori

Quote from: ziycon on July 07, 2016, 08:07:48 AM
No harm trying a new database in the interm, but it might only be a stop-gap fix if there are underlying issues.

if you do that then you need to make sure you update the db name/user and password in Settings.php otherwise it will not take effect.

bayonetbrant

GuernseyPete, are you using GoDaddy as a host?  I'm wondering if it's a problem w/ them b/c poking around online I'm seeing a few different people reporting the same thing, all within the last 24 hours, and wondering if it's the same hosting company that's somehow responsible.

GuernseyPete

Yes, it is GoDaddy!

Of course they are a big supplier so we might expect several users to be with them. What surprises me (and them when I mentioned it) is that the problem is intermittent. If it was a physical hardware issue, I would expect it to always be there. Also, they checked and said no read only settings appeared to be on and they wouldn't ever go into a users files to do this. I know I haven't so not sure how that could have happened.

There can't be global read only settings on their server because I also use this for several Wordpress sites with SQL - no issues.

Illori

Quote from: GuernseyPete on July 07, 2016, 10:25:11 AM

There can't be global read only settings on their server because I also use this for several Wordpress sites with SQL - no issues.

i bet that database is on another database server then the one for your forum.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GuernseyPete on July 07, 2016, 10:25:11 AM

Yes, it is GoDaddy!

Of course they are a big supplier so we might expect several users to be with them. What surprises me (and them when I mentioned it) is that the problem is intermittent. If it was a physical hardware issue, I would expect it to always be there. Also, they checked and said no read only settings appeared to be on and they wouldn't ever go into a users files to do this. I know I haven't so not sure how that could have happened.

Same behaviors on my end.  And like Illori said,  WP and SMF live on different databases

Kindred

Yes... one of the sites that I support is on GoDaddy and is also screwed up

-- While waiting for their technical service, the site seems to have recovered...

--- I take it back.  The main site now loads, but any action results in an error.   Idiots.

-- and now... interesting...   I changed the database row...   
smf_settings.variable = smfVersion changed the value field from 2.0.4 to 2.0.11 and the error seems to have cleared again

--- and now it's broken again
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bayonetbrant

I'm talking to GoDaddy right now, and he's relaying w/ his higher-level support dude, and it looks like it's a wider GoDaddy problem

It looks like an issue with the parent server where the MySQL instances are hosted

One possible cause - sometimes the DBs with SMF get too big for the HD where they're stored, and they need to move them for space, and the landing spot isn't always properly config'ed.  That could've been a concern w/ ours b/c we had a log file that got HUUUUUUGE somehow and deleted the table to clean it up

Kindred

you can not just DELETE the table!

TRUNCATE is the proper response...

of course, interestingly enough... even in mySQL, with Read-only mode set, I can not perform any database write actions

GoDaddy has got to be one of the most incompetent hosts I have dealt with....   and their help system sucks bananas
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bayonetbrant

OK - so GD's enterprise-level support guys are supposedly working on it, but it's a problem affecting literally hundreds of MySQL DB's b/c of the application settings on that particular instance in their system.

They said they're going to call/email me back when they've fixed whatever instance my site is on, but right now they're working on it, so that's what the problems come and go.  However, until they fix their configuration on their application servers, there's absolutely nothing us mere mortals can do about it.

GuernseyPete

Yep, several more reports of this error have gone into GoDaddy and they acknowledge it's a 'known issue'. They will now get their admins to work on it.

I'm half way through trying the export/import routine to see if I land on server without the issue - not sure if I should continue or just park it and wait!

Many thanks to all for your help.
:)

ziycon

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 07, 2016, 11:16:17 AMOne possible cause - sometimes the DBs with SMF get too big for the HD where they're stored, and they need to move them for space, and the landing spot isn't always properly config'ed.  That could've been a concern w/ ours b/c we had a log file that got HUUUUUUGE somehow and deleted the table to clean it up

Just to clarify the error reported at the beginning of the topic is in no way caused by SMF, the issue would happen regardless of the software being used, by the sounds of it they have a corrupt node, not sure if they use clustered mysql (doubt it) or if its just multiple individual nodes for there mysql setup.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: ziycon on July 07, 2016, 03:25:42 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 07, 2016, 11:16:17 AMOne possible cause - sometimes the DBs with SMF get too big for the HD where they're stored, and they need to move them for space, and the landing spot isn't always properly config'ed.  That could've been a concern w/ ours b/c we had a log file that got HUUUUUUGE somehow and deleted the table to clean it up

Just to clarify the error reported at the beginning of the topic is in no way caused by SMF, the issue would happen regardless of the software being used, by the sounds of it they have a corrupt node, not sure if they use clustered mysql (doubt it) or if its just multiple individual nodes for there mysql setup.

Correct - sorry if I implied that it was an SMF-specific problem.  *Any* DB that got too big based on a table getting over-sized would've triggered the same thing.  It just so happens that most of us who were caught by this problem at GoDaddy seemed to have been doing so w/ SMF

Advertisement: