News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

"No text in body" when editing posts

Started by Sigyn, December 30, 2016, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigyn

Myself and my members have been getting the message that there is no text in the body of a post when we go to edit the post. I am not sure what is causing it. It doesn't happen on all posts, and there is nothing consistent between the ones it happens with.

We are running SMF 2.0.12 on our forum which is set up to be a roleplay forum. If there is more information you need, please let me know and I will happily provide it.

*edit* Also occasionally when previewing a post, the preview will be empty despite there being text in the body of the post as well.

Kindred

Do the posts start with a series of BBC entries?   If so, it's a known issue that will be patched in 2.0.13 shortly
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sigyn

Quote from: Kindred on December 30, 2016, 10:17:50 PM
Do the posts start with a series of BBC entries?   If so, it's a known issue that will be patched in 2.0.13 shortly
Well that would explain it; yes they do. Thank you for your quick response, Kindred! I'll mark this as solved and await the patch in 2.0.13!

Sigyn

So I have since updated to 2.0.13 and tried to edit the same post that was throwing this error before. I had assumed that updating the forum version would fix this (as was mentioned) but I am still getting this error.

Is there anything that can be done at this point?

Steve

Does the same thing happen with new posts made since the upgrade?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sigyn

Quote from: Steve on February 10, 2017, 08:58:45 PM
Does the same thing happen with new posts made since the upgrade?
I am going to go with 'no' here because people have been able to make posts with the templates that have large blocks of code -- but posts before the version update have this issue for sure.

Kindred

what is the post?  (please paste the first 5 lines of the failing post in code blocks here)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sigyn

Quote from: Kindred on February 12, 2017, 09:19:35 AM
what is the post?  (please paste the first 5 lines of the failing post in code blocks here)

As the first lines are actually text, I expanded your request and gave down to the first large BBCode block:

[offtopic=Creating Characters with Major and Minor Holds in their History:]As of January 2016, the main families of each [b]MAJOR[/b] Hold cannot be used in biographies. This means the Lord, Lady, their children and the Steward of the [b]MAJOR[/b] Holds cannot be included in histories. Siblings of the main families can be used, (ex. Lord Holder's brother, Lady Holder's sister, Lord & Lady Holders children can have cousins.) Lord and Lady Holders of previous turns before the current ones cannot be used. Please see Sigyn if this needs to be discussed for a history of an older rider.

Minor Holds may be used and 'created' with prior permission of the Admin and must be plotted beforehand. Characters made previous to this statement of MINOR Holds may PM the information to Sigyn to be added where necessary. For those occasions where duplicate Minor Holds were used, the character first made with that Minor Hold will take precedence and other names/plots can be worked out to fix it.[/offtopic]

[plainbox][gfont=Architects Daughter][size=16pt][b][glow=black,2,300][color=#0b00b8]T[/color][color=#231abf]i[/color][color=#3c33c6]l[/color][color=#544dcd]l[/color][color=#6d66d4]e[/color][color=#8580db]k[/color] [color=#b6b3ea]H[/color][color=#ceccf1]o[/color][color=#e7e6f8]l[/color][color=#ffffff]d[/color][/glow][/b][/size][/gfont][imgright]http://i.imgur.com/2KtBOW7.png[/imgright]
[i]Home to the [url=http://www.dragonsriseau.com/index.php?board=83.0]Seacraft & Fishercraft Hall[/url] and at least 5 unnamed Minor Holds in addition to those listed.[/i]

What it's displaying
Link to Thread

Please let me know if you'd like my login for the Admin section and I will happily provide it.

Kindred

No...  the first thing there is BBC...

If you put any character before the off topic BBC tag, I'll bet it works
Слaва
Украинi

Sigyn

Quote from: Kindred on February 12, 2017, 06:21:35 PM
No...  the first thing there is BBC...

If you put any character before the off topic BBC tag, I'll bet it works

You would be mistaken. I edited the code to read:

A note on... [offtopic=Creating Characters with Major and Minor Holds in their History:]As of January 2016, the main families of each [b]MAJOR[/b] Hold cannot be used in biographies. This means the Lord, Lady, their children and the Steward of the [b]MAJOR[/b] Holds cannot be included in histories. Siblings of the main families can be used, (ex. Lord Holder's brother, Lady Holder's sister, Lord & Lady Holders children can have cousins.) Lord and Lady Holders of previous turns before the current ones cannot be used. Please see Sigyn if this needs to be discussed for a history of an older rider.

Minor Holds may be used and 'created' with prior permission of the Admin and must be plotted beforehand. Characters made previous to this statement of MINOR Holds may PM the information to Sigyn to be added where necessary. For those occasions where duplicate Minor Holds were used, the character first made with that Minor Hold will take precedence and other names/plots can be worked out to fix it.[/offtopic]

[plainbox][gfont=Architects Daughter][size=16pt][b][glow=black,2,300][color=#0b00b8]T[/color][color=#231abf]i[/color][color=#3c33c6]l[/color][color=#544dcd]l[/color][color=#6d66d4]e[/color][color=#8580db]k[/color] [color=#b6b3ea]H[/color][color=#ceccf1]o[/color][color=#e7e6f8]l[/color][color=#ffffff]d[/color][/glow][/b][/size][/gfont][imgright]http://i.imgur.com/2KtBOW7.png[/imgright]
[i]Home to the [url=http://www.dragonsriseau.com/index.php?board=83.0]Seacraft & Fishercraft Hall[/url] and at least 5 unnamed Minor Holds in addition to those listed.[/i]

So that it starts with letters, and it still throws the error.

Kindred

Then what you are reporting is not related to the 2.0.12 issue at all, and I suspect that it is related to your mod(s)
Слaва
Украинi

Sigyn

Quote from: Kindred on February 12, 2017, 11:48:11 PM
Then what you are reporting is not related to the 2.0.12 issue at all, and I suspect that it is related to your mod(s)
Hmm... It wasn't always doing this and I haven't put in any new mods in a long time. Do you have any idea what may cause issues like this?

Illori

it is possible something in the upgrade to 2.0.13 broke that mod and how it detects if it has the bbc in place and valid to not trigger that error. you would need to check the mods edits and make sure they are all in place.

Steve

If you list your mods maybe we can give you an idea of where to start. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sigyn

Quote from: Steve on February 13, 2017, 06:58:54 AM
If you list your mods maybe we can give you an idea of where to start. :)

Welp... I can do that;  just keep in mind we are a roleplay forum so we have A LOT of Mods installed xD

1.   Our Important Topics   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
2.   Lazy Moderator Menu   1.0.1   [ Uninstall ]
3.   SMF 2.0.13 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
4.   Hide Info Center From Guests   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
5.   Stop Forum Spam   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
6.   Threads Participated In   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
7.   SMF 2.0.12 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
8.   Vote polls with points   0.1.3   [ Uninstall ]
9.   Random BBCode   1.2.1   [ Uninstall ]
10.   Move Topic Default: No Redirection Post   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
11.   Member NotePad   2.0.3   [ Uninstall ]
12.   Forum Hit Hard Preventer   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
13.   @mention members   1.1.3   [ Uninstall ]
14.   Word Description   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
15.   Line Prefix BBC   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
16.   Footnotes   1.08   [ Uninstall ]
17.   Expanding & Collapsing Spoiler Tag   2.4   [ Uninstall ]
18.   BBC In Custom Title   2.0r2 - SMF 2.0.x   [ Uninstall ]
19.   Add [nobbc] button   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
20.   Personalized BBC   1.91   [ Uninstall ]
21.   SMF Post Prefix   2.0.3   [ Uninstall ]
22.   ROAM - Re-Organized Admin Menu   1.2.2   [ Uninstall ]
23.   SMF 2.0.11 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
24.   Recent Topics On "Recent Posts" Page   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
25.   Move recent to the top   2.7   [ Uninstall ]
26.   Prevent Topic View Increase by Author   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
27.   Chatwee Plugin   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
28.   Enhanced PM System   2.8   [ Uninstall ]
29.   SimplePortal   2.3.6   [ Uninstall ]
30.   SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
31.   Topic Solved   1.1.1   [ Uninstall ]
32.   Sorted BBCode List   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
33.   Custom Copyright   1.0.4   [ Uninstall ]
34.   Change All Subjects   1.3   [ Uninstall ]
35.   6 Custom buttons / tabs with Sub Menus (4)   0.5   [ Uninstall ]
36.   Alternative Menu With Top Menu Icon & Button Remover   1.4.2   [ Uninstall ]
37.   SA KB   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
38.   QRR: Quick Reply Reposition   1.1.2   [ Uninstall ]
39.   Track User Logins   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
40.   LUP: Logout Under Profile   1.0.0   [ Uninstall ]
41.   Enhanced Dropdown   1.3   [ Uninstall ]
42.   Boilerplates for posts   3.1   [ Uninstall ]
43.   [BBCode] Dotted Underline   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
44.   Justify BBC   1.0.0   [ Uninstall ]
45.   BBCode Google Web Fonts   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
46.   BBC you Tag   1.3   [ Uninstall ]
47.   Add list/li Button   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
48.   Annoy User   1.2.4   [ Uninstall ]
49.   [BBCode] Overline   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
50.   Ultimate Menu   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
51.   SRAVC - Separate Replies And Views Column   1.9.4   [ Uninstall ]
52.   Spiders Don't Increase Topic Views   1.1.1   [ Uninstall ]
53.   Unknown Actions   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
54.   Remove "Last edit" mod   0.2.5   [ Uninstall ]
55.   Indent BBC   1.0.1   [ Uninstall ]
56.   Image Floating to Left or Right BBCode   1.8   [ Uninstall ]
57.   FancyPosts   0.4.2   [ Uninstall ]
58.   Add Social Media Icons To Profiles   1.2.0   [ Uninstall ]
59.   Additional Topic Authors   0.1.1   [ Uninstall ]
60.   Expanding & Collapsing Off-Topic Tag   1.6   [ Uninstall ]
61.   Dice Roller BBcode   1.3   [ Uninstall ]
62.   Lazy Admin Menu   1.12   [ Uninstall ]
63.   Drafts   2.1   [ Uninstall ]
64.   Better Profile Menu   1.7   [ Uninstall ]
65.   SMFShop   3.3.1   [ Uninstall ]
66.   Recent Post Settings   1.3   [ Uninstall ]
67.   Avatar Rounded Corners   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
68.   Bots VS Browsers   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
69.   SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
70.   nneonneo's AJAX ShoutBox   1.22   [ Uninstall ]
71.   Team Page   4.0   [ Uninstall ]
72.   Auto Refresh Who Index   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
73.   IP to Country   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
74.   Password Protect Boards   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
75.   Drop Guest Email Requirement In Posting   1.0.1   [ Uninstall ]
76.   nCode Image Resizer   1.4   [ Uninstall ]
77.   Resize Attached Images   2.4.1   [ Uninstall ]
78.   Topic Descriptions   1.3   [ Uninstall ]
79.   PartyMembers   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
80.   Global Headers Footers   2.0.1   [ Uninstall ]
81.   SimpleColorizer   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
82.   Username BBCode0   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
83.   Recent Forum Topics Boardindex   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
84.   Page Management   1.4   [ Uninstall ]
85.   Separate the sticky topics   1.0.0   [ Uninstall ]
86.   Add And Remove Buttons   0.4   [ Uninstall ]
87.   SMF 2.0.8 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
88.   Remove Help From Menu   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
89.   Custom BBCode   2.00   [ Uninstall ]
90.   ResizeImagesToFitScreen   0.1.6   [ Uninstall ]
91.   Board Icons   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
92.   Welcome Topic Mod   2.2   [ Uninstall ]
93.   Unread PMs Favicon   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
94.   SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum   2.0   [ Uninstall ]
95.   Admin Notepad   2.0.2   [ Uninstall ]
96.   SubAccounts Mod   1.0.1

Dzonny

Whoa, that's quite a number of installed mods. I would be surprised if everything is working okay with that much mods :D
Every BBC related mod that you have may trigger the error you're getting, not really sure where to start here, but someone may have better idea though.

Anyway. not sure if you already wrote it, but is there some errors in your error log?

Sigyn

Quote from: Dzonny on February 14, 2017, 06:45:15 AM
Whoa, that's quite a number of installed mods. I would be surprised if everything is working okay with that much mods :D
Every BBC related mod that you have may trigger the error you're getting, not really sure where to start here, but someone may have better idea though.

Anyway. not sure if you already wrote it, but is there some errors in your error log?

Could you tell me where the error regarding the BBCode may be located in the Error Log? I haven't cleaned this out in awhile so I wouldn't be sure what to find for you without assistance.

Dzonny

Well, you can't actually filter just BBC errors there. Error is most likely in Subs.php or Subs-Editor.php file, although it may be in various of files reported. If you have a lot of errors you should clean error log, browse your forum, and start with fixing one by one from a newly created error log.

Sigyn

Quote from: Dzonny on February 14, 2017, 07:08:20 AM
Well, you can't actually filter just BBC errors there. Error is most likely in Subs.php or Subs-Editor.php file, although it may be in various of files reported. If you have a lot of errors you should clean error log, browse your forum, and start with fixing one by one from a newly created error log.

I know next to nothing about fixing errors with code; my attempts to do so would very likely break more than it fixes. I will go through the Error Log and look for mentions of those two things, however.

Illori

then post the errors you see in the log here and we can try to assist you with them.

Advertisement: