Need some suggestions for a single-thread "Journal" feature

Started by profzelonka, February 12, 2017, 09:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

profzelonka

The imagined ideal:
User has a topic post page with a dropdown of which category(board) to post their "Journal entry". A "music journal" is one of the categories. User posts their entry as a new topic-thread in the "music journals" board. User comes back to the same form and posts another entry to the same board. This second post does not create a separate thread but submits the post as a reply to the first topic-thread. Best yet, each post has individual comments. So really I'll looking at threads acting as auto-generated boards per user. The whole purpose is that each user has their own journal without spamming a board with multiple/many entries.

Available mod resources:
Blogs, I know. The problem is that every entry is a new thread, therefor messy and no easy index of all "My Journal entries". Then again, comments on same-thread posts would make it just as messy. While, other blogs are separate from forum boards altogether, but I would much rather have this simply be a part of the forum rather than a separate side of the forum. 

I looked through all available mods and features to try and come up with a solution and still face 2 issues:
1. Individual thread posts can't have comments.
2. Can't force post to be a reply to thread.

Is there a solution for my idea?

Sesquipedalian

I suggest a different approach to accomplishing the same ultimate goal.

Create a board called "Journals" (or whatever), and then inside that create a child board for each member that you want to give a journal to. Set the permissions on that child board so that only that member can create new topics within it, but that other members can reply to topics. Now the child board functions as that member's journal, and each topic functions as an individual journal entry (plus comments).

The downside of this approach is that the admin needs to create the "journal" child board for each member, but aside from that it is the best way to accomplish what you seem to want to do.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

Or perhaps a blog mod, since that's really what we're talking about.

profzelonka

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on February 28, 2017, 02:29:54 PM
I suggest a different approach to accomplishing the same ultimate goal.

Create a board called "Journals" (or whatever), and then inside that create a child board for each member that you want to give a journal to. Set the permissions on that child board so that only that member can create new topics within it, but that other members can reply to topics. Now the child board functions as that member's journal, and each topic functions as an individual journal entry (plus comments).

The downside of this approach is that the admin needs to create the "journal" child board for each member, but aside from that it is the best way to accomplish what you seem to want to do.

The downside here is that I'd like all members to have the ability to have a Journal, and Boards page will get real messy real quick lol But actually a decent solution, thank you.
I already went ahead and came up with a more lightweight, thread solution - made a board allowing for each members to make only 1 thread (can't remember mod title), and made a custom profile field where they can enter their Journal thread url which is then shown on their profile. This way, the Journal threads are a part of the forum (unlike the disconnected blog solutions) and are tied in with the user's profile.

It'd be even better if I had a php code (I'm just a decent manipulator) that checks a specified board for a thread by (profile id) user, and displays a simple link and title of it. That would be awesome! Cause what I currently have set up makes the user manually enter their thread URL in a custom edit profile field.

Advertisement: