How to add AddThis?

Started by Petter B, February 22, 2017, 11:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petter B

I would like to add the sharing service AddThis to my forum. Has anyone here done that?
I know there are a few mods for this but I think they are outdated?
Will it be possible to share a specific post or only the whole thread?

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

The way I did it was go to add this website and follow their directions for adding an html tag, they will eventually give you a snippet of code to copy/paste at your site, the easy way is if you use a portal, I just pasted the code into a custom html header block that shows on every page for all users... I am extremely happy with its usefulness...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Kindred

AFAIK, this mod still works on 2.0.x -- although you may have to use version emulate (see the wiki)
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2483
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Petter B

Thank you very much for the answers  :)

I tried the mod and the newer variant of it http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2111
In both of them:

1. It seems to be a preset button , not connected to the personalt account created at AddThis, where its possible to see statistics of sharing, and design your own button and how it will work.  See attached "Addthis 1".

2. It seems not possible to share a post, even if there are buttons at each post. Only the first post on the page get quoted and linked to. I got a link on how to fix this, see attached "Addthis 2", but it seems too hard...

If no 2 is impossible to get anyway, I might as wee implement the addthis button as they suggest, see attachment, but I do not know where to put the code I got... I is supposed to be above the closing </body> of a HTML website. See attached "Addthis 3".

Petter B

Sorry, I forgot to state my questions to the comments above:

1.   ....  -How can I use the new kind of buttons from AddThis?
2.   ....  -How can I set them to share a post (quote&link) instead of the topic/page?

Kindred

1- ask in the mod support thread.
2- I don't think that you can.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Petter B

Petter B

If I skip using a mod at all, just paste the AddThis code i got, where shall I put it?

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Petter B on March 14, 2017, 03:59:00 AM
If I skip using a mod at all, just paste the AddThis code i got, where shall I put it?

If you use a portal mod, you can just copy/paste the code into a html block that you'll want to display near top of every page, this way it doesn't matter whether the user is viewing a topic or some other page, the share button is always there for your users to use if they choose.
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Petter B

Thanks, that is an idea I will consider.
Since the AddThis-buttons include Print and Email, it would be nice to get rid of those two original smf-buttons and put the AddThis buttons there instead. Like this:

Should I put the AddThis code snippet in index.template.php with something like

echo '
<script type="text/javascript" src="//s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js#pubid=ra-58xxxxxxxxxxx"></script>
<div class="addthis_inline_share_toolbox"></div>';

??

Advertisement: