Non-ASCII character make posts disappear?

Started by ArMaP, March 25, 2017, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArMaP

In a forum I help administer we made a new installation and, with phpMyAdmin, I exported the old database and imported the data into a new one. At first it all looked OK, but I must have made a "zig" instead of a "zag" somewhere and some posts are now missing.

After a little search through the forum and the database I found out that what was causing the problem was the horizontal ellipsis character (...), removing it from the post (directly in the database, the only way I could find to access the posts' text) solved the problem. Replacing it with the corresponding HTML entity code also worked. I also found a post with apostrophes (probably copied from an email, according to the context of that post) that were also making the whole post appear blank.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited to add that, although I could try running an update command on the database to replace the known culprits would work, it's better to know how to really do it, in case I have to do this process again.

I forgot to add that inserting those characters on a new post works as expected, although they appear as strange characters on the database.

Kindred

Change your forum to UTF8

See the FAQ/wiki on how to do that
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ArMaP

I thought about that, but the old forum wasn't in UTF8, or at least it didn't look like it to me.

I'll try that.

PS: is that something we choose while installing? I don't remember.  :-\

Sir Osis of Liver

Look in the database and check the table collation.  If the db is already utf8, I believe the conversion will fail.  If that happens, manually add this line to Settings.php -

$db_character_set = 'utf8';

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

ArMaP

Thanks everybody for the answers, converting to UTF-8 worked. :)

whoey

FYI, this also worked for us, we had a severe crash that wiped the config file, and the repaired config file was missing the utf-8 line

Advertisement: