News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Setting Up Database for forum thru host TABLE?????

Started by theblackcotton, December 05, 2005, 01:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theblackcotton

Ok I am trying to set up the Table so that my installer program can read what's on my database to connect.

I have the name up set for the Database however

Now I am trying to structure it but dont know what to do.

I have Create new table on database

NAME: ((((DO i name it smf or whatever))))

field: ((((What does this mean, I have to put a number ### what should I put?))))

Because I keep getting an error code that says
Error

SQL-query : 

CREATE TABLE `NAME OF TABLE` (

`a` VARCHAR NOT NULL
)

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NOT NULL)' at line 1
Back

Dannii

You could have just replied to your other topic..

Now what are you trying to do through this? You don't need to set up a table for SMF to install - it will make all it's own tables.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

theblackcotton

sorry bout that, so what do I title the table, its asking me, it wont let me title it smf, cuz it needs four letters or more, and it says that i have to enter a number in the field so what number should that be.

theblackcotton

ok so i call the table a name and fields i type 1 then go.
then i get:
Field          Type [Documentation]           Length/Values*       Attributes    Null      Default**      Extra     Primary    Index     Unique ---

Fulltext

(((((IT ALSO SAYS THIS KEY AT THE BOTTOM B4 Save)))))
*  If field type is "enum" or "set", please enter the values using this format: 'a','b','c'...
If you ever need to put a backslash ("\") or a single quote ("'") amongst those values, backslashes it (for example '\\xyz' or 'a\'b'). 
**  For default values, please enter just a single value, without backslash escaping or quotes, using this format: a 
-------------------------------------------------------

What do I do?

what do I suppose to do. beacause I do nothing and click save and I get this error message:

Error

SQL-query : 

CREATE TABLE `NAMEOFTABLE` (

)

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1
Back

kegobeer

Listen: You don't make any tables.  Just write down your MySQL username, password, and database name.  Run the SMF installer and enter that information when you are asked.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Dannii

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS smftable (
`fieldA` VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY ( `fieldA` ) )

That should work.

Are you using myphpadmin?
Why do you want to make this table?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

theblackcotton

ok thanks for the code, I don't know what it did but it set up some table, but

when i am on the installer page for my forum, i continue to get this message.

Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Click here to try this step again.

redone

As mentioned in the installation guide you need to create a mysql database for SMF to function. What kind of control panel does your host offer?

theblackcotton

I set up the mysql already.....I wouldn't been able to use the code above to set up whatever table.

i am on godaddy, there is a data base name set up FOREXAMPLENAME

the mysql database site my control panel sends me to is https://mysqladmin.secureserver.net  and I can log in and everything
I see the lil 1 table that was made, when I copy and pasted the code from eariler.

Its just not connecting when i am on my installing page.

MySQL server name: is LOCALHOST

MySQL username: THEONE THAT I SET UP ON MY CONTROL PANEL (((CORRECT?)))

MySQL password: ((((THE PASS THAT LOGS ME ONTO MY SITE ((((CORRECT)))) its the same for the mysql I set up anyway

MySQL table prefix: what the hell is this mean i tried the same screen name thats on the username line/ i tried the smf thats already there/ i tried the smftable that was sent to me in the above code 2 replys up.

I  AM STUPID, this stuff is so fustrating but i am trying to be patient cuz I REALLY WANT IT TO WORK!

Dannii

The table prefix should be filled in by default, if not use "smf_" or anything else.
Try that and tell us exactly what the install.php file says is the problem.

theblackcotton

Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Click here to try this step again.

kegobeer

Contact your host and give them this error message:  Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

Tell them you get that when you try to connect to your MySQL database.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

theblackcotton

Thanks for the help.
It was the server name I didnt have correct. it was myserver whatever so I AM IN THERE! THANKS YALL! I LOVE YOU!

Advertisement: