News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

creating a "favorite boards" option

Started by meester fox, January 09, 2006, 09:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meester fox

to me, this actually doesn't seem so impossible.

with the feature of SMF that allows /index.php?action=unread;boards=11,6,3,4 and the such, it should be easy.

What I figured out is creating a simple form with checkboxes. and each checkbox has the name of the board (and the ID, more importantly). then once submited, any checkbox that was checked ad's it's number to the boards= dude. (i'm thinking, if, then, else statements)

that way, a member can go to a "manage favorites" page, create the link, and boom. bookmark it or set it to their homepage.

but a few things I need to do. First off, is retrieve a list of all the boards along with their ID #'s, dynamically. I could hard code them all in there, but I want this to work for other forums as well, not just my own.  And I don't know how to do this. any idea's?

From there, instead of just bookmarking the generated hyperlink, why not set it to a variable, like $memberfavorites? and then add a link somewhere that would echo that variable... effectivly making it intergrated into the site.

But I don't know how I would go about that as well. maybe setting it up as an action? like the action=profile? just a way that it pulls that particular users link out from the DB and allows them to click it, and give them the board ID's they wanted.

I'm pretty sure I could manage manually setting the board names and their ID's, and doing the if then else statements, along with generating a hyperlink. but it's:
% pulling the board list from the site dynamically along with the board ID's
% setting the generated link into a variable that can be retrieved from the user within the site (and not just a book mark)

So... any adivce into this would be great. tips or resources.

I GUESS this is the right place to post this, by the way. Sorry if it's not.

thanks,
-M.Fox
Qdork is my SMF/mkportal website. Nothing amazing. A few mods, iTunes giveaways, and decent members.

Safeway

Advertisement: