News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Already Implemented] phpBB does ordered lists but SMF doesn't - say it ain't so!

Started by phillyuser, February 17, 2006, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyuser

I was going to just reply to this thread, but SMF told me that the topic was more than 120 days old and maybe I should post a new topic, so I am.

I'm a phpBB to SMF convert.  SMF does so many useful things out of the box that phpBB doesn't do, like forum notification and attachment capability.  But here apparently is something useful that phpBB does out of the box that SMF doesn't do, if I'm not mistaken: ordered lists.  Ordered lists would be very useful.  I posted a topic in the Lazarus Guestbook forums (SMF 1.1 RC2) and used an unordered list.  The site owner replied by referring to my questions with numbers, as in 1 - blah blah blah, 2 - blah blah blah, and so on.  I then realized that to those who read the thread, it would be easier to see what he was referring to if I converted my list to an ordered list, but alas, I couldn't because of no ordered lists capability. O, that SMF might implement ordered lists capability.  I can't go back to phpBB, for the same reason that I can't go back to grade school now that I have a college degree, but I sure do miss ordered lists. :'(

ディン1031

Support only via MOD Thread! NO PM Support!
My Forum: ayu][kult Forum
My Mods: My Small Mod Collection
My Parser: DIN1031's ModParser
Current Info: More away the next days, because i've to much work to do :x

Dannii

• something
  • something else
  • more stuff

• something
  • something else
  • more stuff

• something
  • something else
  • more stuff

• something
  • something else
  • more stuff

• something
  • something else
  • more stuff

Try giving it a type :)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

ディン1031

Support only via MOD Thread! NO PM Support!
My Forum: ayu][kult Forum
My Mods: My Small Mod Collection
My Parser: DIN1031's ModParser
Current Info: More away the next days, because i've to much work to do :x

phillyuser

:) Wonderful, eldacar, SMF does indeed have ordered list capability as follows (although you didn't use a code block for your list, thus I initially thought you were just typing out the numbers (which would be of no help), and I didn't see the type=decimal parameter until I hit Reply):

[list type=decimal]
[li]something[/li]
[li]something else[/li]
[li]more stuff[/li]
[/list]

Please forgive me for doubting SMF.  :-[ Also, please tell me where one can see this documented.  ??? I had already looked in Help - Posting - SMF Bulletin Board Code - Insert List, but saw nothing that would indicate that there is a type=decimal parameter.  It would have prevented me from having to post my question.  Thank you.

Dannii

It isn't in the help docs. I wasn't actually sure there was one.. so I had to look up the source code. There is new documentation coming soon, so hopefully it will be in there.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

phillyuser

I just tried type=decimal in SMF 1.06 and it doesn't seem to work.  :( So, I thought I'd go in the admin panel and turn on HTML so I could use HTML <ol> and </ol> tags, but I discovered that there's only a checkbox to turn on basic HTML and the basic HTML doesn't include the ordered list tag.  :o I was surprised because phpBB allows you to specify exactly which HTML tags you want to enable.  So, am I correct in my understanding that in SMF 1.06 there's no way to use an ordered list?

Dannii

Admins can always do anything with the [html[/html] tags. Other than that.. I'm not sure sorry.

Elmacik

Quote from: eldacar on March 15, 2006, 08:48:28 PM
Admins can always do anything with the [html[/html] tags. Other than that.. I'm not sure sorry.
This is implemented in after 1.1.x So 1.0.6 doesnt have this feature.
But if the basic HTML is enabled in 1.0.6, then some tags can be used.
Home of Elmacik

loldaolda

Please do update the documentation. Everything should be in documentation. And if not everything - things like this are a must. For users it is very useful. How can we know there are such parameters?  :o

Thantos

loldaolda

Advertisement: