News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

bug in regular members group??

Started by MysticBrewing, March 14, 2006, 08:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MysticBrewing

OK,  as far as my understanding of the regular members group. It is there to provide permissions to a member that is NOT  assigned a primary group. If that member IS assigned a primary group, then the permissions assigned to that group should be the ones used.  Also access to boards are based on selecting what member groups are allowed to SEE that board. please correct me if that understanding is wrong.

The problem I have run into is this. We have a special members group for trouble makers. They are restricted to a single board and only allowed to post in that board. Before upgrading to RC2, everything worked fine. After the upgrade, this special group can still only post in that one group, but they can SEE all board that the regular members group can see. I need to know how to fix that. So they can only SEE and post in the one board that is selected for them to view/post in. if there was a way to auto assign a group when a new user registers, then that could be a possible workaround and we could simply set the regular members permission to match the special members group. But I haven't found a way to make that happen either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aitsukai

Make sure that these trouble-makers are assigned to that group only. If they have the regular members group as either a primary or secondary group, they will inherit permissions from that group.

Dannii

I thought you already had a topic..

Can guests view the other boards?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

MysticBrewing

yes, there is another topic on it, in a different board.

yes, guests can see the other boards which is selected as viewable by guests, but not by the trouble makers. The trouble makers are only assigned to the trouble makers group. It acts as if they are inheriting read permissions from the regular members group (used to be called ungrouped members)

Dannii

Everyone can see boards available to guests. They could log out and see them remember

If you can create a temp admin account and PM me the details I'll have a look for you.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

MysticBrewing

PM sent...and just to make sure this wasn't a weird problem with just one board... I set it up on my own website just as it's setup on my clients... same results... there's also another post on this exact same subject in teh admin and functionality board by another user having teh same problem.. so it does appear to be a bug in permissions.

Dannii

You have to remove the access for post count groups. Every member will be in at one of those, and they all have access!
http://mysticmead.com/forum/index.php?action=membergroups;sa=edit;group=4
click on [ Show boards ] and untick them all.

MysticBrewing

sorry...forgot about that one... but it is turned off on the other site...

Dannii

You have to do that for each and every post count group, not just the newbie one.

MysticBrewing

Maharet

Advertisement: