News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Premmision Problem.

Started by Tomer, March 19, 2004, 11:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomer

While changing unregistered guests premissions or any premissions you have 3 options,

Allow, Deny and none. whats none???

allow gives them access
deny denies them acees.
what does the blank do?

[Unknown]

Wrong.  You could search for deny, it'd help.

Allow let's them do it.
Blank/none says, "ask your mother."
Deny says, "YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS!!"

So, basically, if you deny a permission to some group, your global moderators might stop being able to do that.  Deny is final.  Allow is not final.

Blank means... nothing.  It means, "we'll see."  It leaves it up to the other groups a member is in.

-[Unknown]

Tomer

So if you look at is, deny and blank are the same?
I mean then do the EXACT same thing.

Grudge

No. Blank will mean it will neither give nor take away. Deny will ALWAYS take away. Two examples below for editing profiles for a member:

Group "Ungrouped members" gives it permission: ALLOW
Group Newbie gives it permission: "blank"

Outcome: Member is allowed to edit profile as the permission has been given in ANY of the groups they are a member of - and has not been denied in any.

Example 2:
Group "Ungrouped members" gives it permission: ALLOW
Group Newbie gives it permission: DENY

Here the member CANNOT edit profile as although he is allowed in his first group the second group denies him permission to edit it - and deny ALWAYS overrules.

One more example.

Group "Ungrouped members" gives it permission: "blank"
Group Newbie gives it permission: "blank"

Here the member does NOT have permission to edit profiles as it has not been allowed by any of his groups.
I'm only a half geek really...

Tomer

Hmm now im more confused.

There are only 2 settings, either they CAN do it or they CANT do it, deny means CANT, and allow means CAN, what does blank mean? Thats all I want.

Tyris

blank means it will 'fall back' to any other settings.
Basically members can be a member of multiple groups... so if ANY of the groups have a DENY for something... they will be DENIED regardless!
however, if any of the groups ALLOW, and the rest BLANK, they will be allowed...
All you need to know is that DENY over-rides all occurances of BLANK and ALLOW for that permission. reffer back to Grudge's examples... I dont think anyone can make it much clearer than that...
blank means "use the permission of other groups this person is a member of"
deny means "regardless of other groups' permissions, ALWAYS deny this permission"
allow means "if this permission is not denied in any other groups this user is a member of, then allow the permission"

Tomer

Ok I kinda understood.

Thanks.

Oldiesmann

Frankly, the only thing I find a "blank" permission useful for is in the local permissions thing. Otherwise it just gets too confusing.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 22, 2004, 07:19:16 PM
Frankly, the only thing I find a "blank" permission useful for is in the local permissions thing. Otherwise it just gets too confusing.

I don't think you understand.  Let me put it this way.

IF YOU DENY LOCK, GLOBAL MODERATORS PROBABLY WON'T BE ABLE TO LOCK TOPICS ANYMORE!!!

Deny means no.  Even if you are a global moderator, deny means NO.

Does the colored text help?

-[Unknown]

Daniel D.

You're right, the "blank thing" is a little bit confusing. But we've to live with that, even if many users are against it. Any chance to change it to two options Unknown (allow/deny) ?

[Unknown]

Elmo, first off you cannot deny admins from doing anything, so no.

Second, the "blank" box SHOULD say something.

And Daniel D., there is absolutely no chance, so please stop or shut up.  Making it just allow and deny is stupid.

-[Unknown]

[Unknown]

In the box currently is this:

Allow

Deny

This is mine SWORN ENEMY.  It has caused so much problems it's not funny.  Instead, it should be something like this:

( ) Allow        (o) Don't Allow   ( ) DENY TOTALLY <-- when you click that a popup should come up asking if you're sure.

-[Unknown]

David

It is changing for beta 5. :)
This space for rent.

mikeweb

I think it's fine the way it is... I understood the moment you explained it.  I don't understand why no one else gets it.

I just have one question, what is the blank for again? ;D

I kid, I kid...
Don't expect anything.  Don't expect fun, don't expect friends.. if you get something...it's a BONUS -FZ

Advertisement: