News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ignore user

Started by dilaca, April 05, 2004, 11:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilaca

Is there an option for people to ignore a particular poster?

Thanks.  :)

Peter Duggan

Not on the boards, but you can set up a PM Ignore List from Personal Message Settings in your Edit Profile screen.

sneedo

can we get an ignore feature that will ignore thier posts?

quake101

I have a new members what would like this feature!

Zencefil

I would really like that function. It works for both the boards and the PMs on VBulletin and I gotta *love* it.

Likewise, an "ignore topic" function would be useful, but the original request is much more important IMO.

Pentium III 550/100 MHz,
384 MB RAM, XP Pro SP 2

gri

IPB 2.0 Team has already developed an Ignore User Feature.
It is really very usefull.

Each user can update his Ignore List by his own hands.
And it is possible to Unignore separate messages
and to change your opinion concerning a member of a List.

This feature has opened up a Way for Mankind to declare:

~Moderator - is the enemy of a Human Being !
Go away from the Planet !~.

I think that I would prefer IPB 2.0 product line..
while SMF developers will study
what Human Being Is.

Ben_S

It would only fragment topics to certain people then they would start posting asking people what is going on and end up wasting everyones time.

Surely the human brain can ignore posts it doesn't like?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

gri

Quote from: Ben_S on January 26, 2005, 05:09:15 PM
It would only fragment topics to certain people then they would start posting asking people what is going on and end up wasting everyones time.

Surely the human brain can ignore posts it doesn't like?

Ben_S,
Surely Moderator's brain can not ignore posts it doesn't like?
Whether deleting of other's posts
would not fragment topics to certain people
and why nobody then start posting asking people
what is going on and end up wasting everyones time?

Ignoring - is the priority of the reader.
In case of Ignoring somebody's posts
the link to the post instead of the text of the message
is under the click of the mouse.
Unignoring of the message - is the priority of the reader
if his brain would report that it need any fragment.

Do you have an example of IPB 2.0 forum ?

carhartt

i really *need* this function, too!
and many users of my forum...

kind regards,

carhartt.
straight is great! ;)

gri

Quote from: carhartt on March 03, 2005, 01:16:55 AM
i really *need* this function, too!
and many users of my forum...

kind regards,

carhartt.

carhartt,
it seems many people of your forum
are Human Beings.

Hence they have a good chance to be the first
who will include the appropriate code of Ignore feature
to the SMF programm.

In any case.. give the link to your forum please.

I know a lot of forums where Users just dream
about having an ability to Ignore..
my posts.

Instead of Locking my topics and Deleting them.

Oldiesmann

Ignoring posts doesn't make the problem go away... Locking and deleting them does.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

gri

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 04, 2005, 05:42:58 PM
Ignoring posts doesn't make the problem go away...
Locking and deleting them does.

Locking and deleting posts does initiate another problem
of thousands and thousands of the copies
of the deleted or locked posts
and new and new topics instead of those have been locked
and will also result in locking of the moderated forums

<< http://agreetogri.newmail.ru/subs-user.htm

It will explose a War on the Planet.. between Humans and monkeys.
I stand for Peace.

Deleting of the original post is not the same action as
the control of displaying the scene of a post
in the topic.

I suppose that the Author of the topic would select
Ignored posts or Users in his topic.
But a half of the registered readers should apply
the Author's defaults
but another half of the readers
should select their own sets of posts/posters to Ignore.

The _known fact_ of the Ignored post by the Author of the topic
is a good reason for the poster
either to modify or delete his original post
or to move the scene of the original post
to his own topic or to another topic
with all links and quotes to it being preserved.

Neither Ignoring of the scene of the post
nor the Locking of the topic with the scene inside
should prevent from modifying the original post.

In many cases Ignoring posts is a compromise
which may allow _process of making problems go away_
to be continued in a mild way.

What other problem does a reader feel
concerning the posts he had selected to be NOT read
by his own hands ?

Jazhawk

It is a feature some users want on my forum as well and I think it makes sense in some respects where the comments of some should not be allowed to stink up the entire post.  We all have repugnant members.

Now it won't help if that ignored poster is quoted by another poster so in that case, the quoted ignored poster should say "ignore enabled."

You are not suggesting that IPB can do something that SMF cannot?  :o

-Jazhawk

rudoka

As I see it, the Ignore function it's not about moderating a forum or not, or to take over the Moderator's job.
Let's suppose that on a forum there is someone who annoys me, and only me. He/she is polite, not flaming no one, cute, funny and stays on topic. Only that it's antipatic to me. Well, the moderators would have no reason to detele his/her posts, or block him/her form writing.

In these cases that ignore feature would be VERY handy for me as normal user. In a board that had this feature I even used it once ;) Hehe.
Otherwise the place was horrible to navigate and use, posting reading was awful. this was the only positive thing I could find. I droped that place when I lost interest in the content of the forum.

I'd really like this feature to be included in the standard version.  :)

Rudolf

whatevah

I've got a forum that could really use this feature, too.  :)

perhaps, if instead of not showing the message from the user at all, only the header of the post is shown, with a javascript/dhtml/css button to show/hide the message.   of course, you wouldn't be allowed to ignore moderators or admins, or add a checkbox to the post menu for mods/admins that reads "make this post visible, overrides ignore lists"

I guess that would have to be supported by all of the themes, so if added to the SMF base, it would have to be in SMF 1.2, since 1.1 is almost finished.   however, if it used CSS to do the show/hide, then a package could add it, and not adversely affect themes already installed, they just wouldn't be able to make use of the feature.

I'd sponsor this mod (if that's allowed)... probably shouldn't take _too_ much time for an experienced coder to write, I'm guessing an hour.  maybe $50 PayPal'ed to the coder?

Shannon

I would really like an ignore user function as well...

Thing is, the people who want the ignore user function -- in my case -- are both dear friends of mine. Whatever bickering they're having is in the forum for it, but it still is causing tension in my forum's community. I'd really like an ignore user feature to be available... it seems a big shame for it to not be available at all.
maroon5ed.com [nofollow]
clow legacy [nofollow]
mr. a-z [nofollow]

rudoka

I thought a little about this, but it seems a bit hard for my programming/SMF skills.
I just managed to do some modification for myself (not mod yet, and don't know if it will be), but that was pretty easy and involved little changing.

I have an idea on how it could be done, but how to actually implement in the code I have no idea. Now I don't even have time and energy to look in to it deeper.  :'(
It would be really cool to be in the standard version, as a "main" feature. The forum as it is now it's quite perfect and contains everything I can think of for an enjoyable "foruming experience".  ;)  This would be the cream on the cake, as it is said in our parts.  :)

Rudolf

CartDestr

I REALLY need this fuction on my forum. PLEASE, I NEED THIS QUICKLY. Is urgent.

Sorry my bad english.

rudoka

I was thinking that maybe it could have be done using a some kind of reverse "buddy list" type of feature, to store the names we want to ignore (and ignore them!!). I just saw that in the 1.1 there is one included, so I thought maybe one could modify it.
   The problems are is that I do not have 1.1 yet, so I would have to wait until becomes public, and second, that I find it quite useless writing mods. If they are simple modifications they can make sense, but a mod that changes a default functionality, or performs complex modifications throughout the forum it makes it pointless and very annoying to keep the forum updated.
   As I expressed my views on this, I repeat. Even if the Package Manager is a powerful tool, uninstalling and re-installing mods everytime I want to do an upgrade is simply boring, and not something everyone is willing to do.
   Personally I would like to keep my forum upgraded and up-to-date, applying the releases as they come out, because I do like how SMF is now and I know the development team is doing a great job there.

I saw some interesting ideas about mods, but none of them was tempting enough to take the trouble to write them. (Read the reasons above -^)
   This would be the only one I would be really interested in working on it. So if anyone (mod writer or not) has some ideas about how to actually write this mod, I would be more then glad to cooperate (and share my modest experience from my first mod-writing  :P) If not then I think I'll find something else to do for myself (not SMF related).

Rudolf

rudoka

There are countless requests for this feature, and yet I see that it is being ignored since years, already.

I read some of the other topics on the subject, and I find all the concerns about this rather silly. Ignoring a user would not break anything in the forum, since it would be a user based ignore. Meaning that if I chose to ignore someone that would only do to don't show up that post in the topic. And onyl the topic.
  Instead of the body of the post, it would appear "Currently this user is ignored by you". Or something similar.

The software would work the same as it works now, and most of the things could be solved in the template. I really can't see how this would break anything on the forum. The other users would still see the posts as normal, and the "structure" of the posts/topics/boards/statistics would be intact.

I was thinking about how to accomplish and it doesn't seems that hard, theoretically. Now i'm learning smome advanced php to write it.

Rudolf

Advertisement: