News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Karma system instead of Post Count?

Started by RayCRP, June 09, 2006, 02:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayCRP

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a mod or could make one that would replace the "post count" system that most forums use to measure members with a "karma system" similar to GameFAQs.com [nofollow]'s: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/entry.html?cat=18 [nofollow]

Basically, rather than giving the post count stat to provoke some people from spamming or flooding just to up their post count, they'd only get 1 karma per day logged in, shifting the focus from posting for the sake of it to just visiting often. It's described in the link above, but basically you get 1 karma each day you're logged in, and once you pass certain milestones, your status goes up and you gain access to more features.

The karma thing itself doesn't sound too hard - just a +1 for each day logged in, and then the rest is once you reach a certain number, your status goes up. I would think the hardest thing would be removing (or maybe just hiding) the post count stat. I don't know PHP or MySQL enough to mod it from scratch though.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

RayCRP

bump, I've been informed that such a mod might be possible using something called a "cron job" to update someone's number once a day? does this help anyone considering this mod? hopefully? lol

diffy

lol, you should check what a "cron job" is :)
it's the unix "task scheduler", with it you can run unix shell scripts, executable .php as well,

you do need a snippet of code though :)

RayCRP

I don't know anything about php and mysql though :( that's why I'm asking if anyone can help.

It doesn't seem like it'd be hard... I want to just hide post count from the public, and create a new field that goes up by 1 every 24 hours that I and maybe other mods have to ability to lower if necessary.

Then again, since I don't know anything about php coding, I can't say how hard it really is...

If anyone can help me, please let me know...I'm overhauling an entire website behind the scenes of the current one, and I'm trying to have it online by July 30 (it's a marching band site, and much of the content will be useful to them during band camp days, starting that day).

Reynard

Its been a long time... I have been searching for many different mods to do this, but have been unable to compile one. The closest was the infractions mod created by harzem which at the end production on it has stopped. http://www.harzem.com/test/rc3/index.php?topic=2.0

It would be great for someone with enough coding/scripting abilities for this to actually create one seeing as there have been many requests for this but none have been made for years now.

JPDeni

To get rid of the post count, in Display.template.php, comment out (put // at the beginning of) the following lines:

// Show how many posts they have made.
// echo '
// ', $txt[26], ': ', $message['member']['posts'], '<br />
// <br />';

Your karma thing for each day logged in is more complex. Each time there is a check to see if they've logged in, you would need to do a check to see if they've got a karma point for that day and if not, to add one. At the very least you would need to add a field to the member table to keep track of the last date a karma point was added.

NEMINI

you could alternatively just choose to turn post counts off for all forums (not sure how it affects the display though)
signatures are boring.

RayCRP

Well, I don't merely want to remove the post count, since the post count serves as an incentive to post. I just want to shift it from being an incentive to post as much as you can to being an incentive to visit often/daily. And by being there daily, you're not pressured to post just for the sake of posting to increase a post count, but since you're there, you feel you might as well check some of the updated topics.

Also, I was reading up on GameFAQs Karma system. It's not necessarily 1 karma point for each day logged in. It's 1 karma point for each day logged in that the user has an "active message" (GameFAQs receives so many posts per forum that they're usually automatically purged once they're old enough that they reach a certain page in the specific forum). So if a user logs in but doesn't post anything, but they don't have any active messages, then they don't get a karma point.

I don't know if this makes coding such a mod easier or harder, but I figured I might as well mention it. I don't know much about PHP, but I'm guessing instead of having the code check whether or not they logged in every single day, it just checks the accounts of those who logged in for whether or not they have an active post.

Advertisement: