FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) mod

Started by Suki, June 20, 2011, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki

Will this mod install ok on smf 2.0.2 or should I wait for you to update it?

Yes, you just need to emulate version 2.0

How do questions get added to the FAQ page?

one you istalled the mod, you will be redirected to the mod's admin interface from there you will be able to add faqs via the "add a new faq" button,  you can also see this button in the faq page.

Can I just mark a topic in our forum as a FAQ and it automatically gets added to the FAQ page?

No, FAQs are independent from the messages.

Edited to add: Do FAQ's show up in forum searches?

No.

this mod uses permissions, if you need someone else to add FAQs make sure this person have the permission in the membergroup

@Eclipse16V  attach your /Sources/Faq.php file.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

ApplianceJunk

Ok, going to give it a try.
Was about half way through reading this whole topic and was glad to see categories got added.

Going to have FAQ with categories for

Refrigerators
Washers
Dryers
etc....

I tried creating FAQ topics at one time and pinning them to the top of the different board, but did not like the way it looked.
This should make a nice addition to our forum, thanks.

Edited to add: Seem to install just fine, thanks!

I have not added a new mod to our site in sometime. It's kind of like getting a new toy. :)

Happy to add the FAQ mod © Miss All Sunday at the bottom for all your hard work.

ApplianceJunk

I notice after you click to preview a FAQ it changes the category back to the #1 category if you had something other then that selected.

Maybe it's just me or it's already been reported?

Suki

No it hasn't been reported before, thank you.  Most likely a bug.

I will take a look, and will update the mod when I find some time.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Miss All Sunday on December 23, 2011, 03:56:38 PM

When you go to edit a FAQ it also automatically switches back to the #1 category.

How can I increase the max amount of text I can add to the title?

Thanks,

Eclipse16V

I think I've found the mistake.
Had all the FAQ again re-entered and created the new categories. Since coming to me ever any more error messages. I'm waiting times from the day whether there's times that result.
Thanks anyway for the help ever.
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

Suki

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on December 23, 2011, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: Miss All Sunday on December 23, 2011, 03:56:38 PM

When you go to edit a FAQ it also automatically switches back to the #1 category.

How can I increase the max amount of text I can add to the title?

Thanks,

currently it is harcoded in the FAQ.template.php file, find:

<input type="text" name="title" size="55" tabindex="1" maxlength="55" value="',$faq_edit == 1 ? (isset($context['preview_subject']) ? $context['preview_subject'] : $context['edit']['current']['title']) : (isset($context['preview_subject']) ? $context['preview_subject'] : ''),'" class="input_text" />

and change  maxlength="55" to whatever you want to be the maxlength.

ApplianceJunk

Quotechange  maxlength="55" to whatever you want to be the maxlength.

Thanks

ApplianceJunk

QuoteUse Javascript to hide the body?
If enable, this mod will use javascript to hide the FAQ content,

So if I use the option to hide the body does it also hide the body from google index it or can google still open it and index the context of the body?

I want to make sure google can index everything in the FAQ section.

Suki

Well, the hide is made with JavaScript by changing the div's display property to none but the entire body is still there and can be indexed by Google.

On my site I had see the few FAQs I have are all indexed by Google, if you enable the FAQ list then Google will index every FAQ's own page.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Miss All Sunday on December 23, 2011, 06:55:29 PM
Well, the hide is made with JavaScript by changing the div's display property to none but the entire body is still there and can be indexed by Google.

On my site I had see the few FAQs I have are all indexed by Google, if you enable the FAQ list then Google will index every FAQ's own page.

Awesome,

How can I refer someone to a certain FAQ or post a link to it?

Suki

If you enable the FAQ list, the list will contain a direct link to the FAQ,  also if you don't hide the body and you click in the FAQ title it will take you to that FAQ own page.

the generic url is this:   yoursite.com/index.php?action=faq;sa=show;faqid=x

where x is the FAQ id you want to see or link to.

GlitchPC

I haven't seen this mentioned within this mod support topic...

Have any of you checked the number of queries this mod generates?  Any concerns?

Suki

I made this mod in a time where I wasn't too worry about queries or performance for that matter.

The mod indeed can generate a large amount of queries if you have a large amount of FAQs/categories, however, those queries aren't that resource-intensive.

I should probably add the SMF cache system to those queries and probably fetch the FAQs just once instead of fetching it whenever I got a chance.  Problem is time and in a lesser extent, motivation.

Eclipse16V

Same Error

Quote from: Eclipse16V on December 23, 2011, 12:22:49 PM
Hi,

became this Error

http://.../index.php?action=faq;sa=category;catid=1
8: Undefined index: 1
Datei: /.../Sources/Faq.php
Zeile: 551
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Suki on December 24, 2011, 08:01:03 PM
I made this mod in a time where I wasn't too worry about queries or performance for that matter.

The mod indeed can generate a large amount of queries if you have a large amount of FAQs/categories, however, those queries aren't that resource-intensive.

I should probably add the SMF cache system to those queries and probably fetch the FAQs just once instead of fetching it whenever I got a chance.  Problem is time and in a lesser extent, motivation.

I still like it ;)
Thanks,

Suki

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I didn't built this thinking: "Hey! I'm going to build this mod so I can ****** up someone else's forum, you know, just for fun..."

Eclipse16V

Can no one help me with my error message?
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

Suki

do you have a category with id 1?

what do you do when the error appear?

Advertisement: