News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Reinstalling Full Install over a running forum

Started by showngo, November 28, 2017, 04:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

showngo

Will reinstalling SMF over an existing forum rewrite the core files but leave the "working" forum alone?
I have an error on my part that is on the forum side i need to correct.
I would loose too many post going to a complete back-up that i have. 
My DB is (or seems) okay, im running 2.0.15

showngo

Is it possible to copy all the files and folders from a "backup" site (I have a second mirror forum) and over write the original ?

I have tried the "upgrade" and I still have issues that is why I was wondering about the FULL INSTALL.

Illori

what issues are you having?

this is as close to a reinstall you can have with keeping your database.

Illori

i did not ask you to send me a PM with your issues. if you want support you should post here for everyone to assist you. you have multiple topics on your issues, this will not help you get better support. IMO start with fresh files and go from there looking at each issue. most likely your host is your issue. find a new host and i bet most of the issues will go away.

showngo

I have no notifications going out.     I can send emails from profiles, Email forwarding works through the server and I can run PHP script through the server and get mail.

I had issues with simple portal , It was my fault, I went to install an upgrade, had errors and installed anyway, then re-uninstalled it.  After that I messed with it and notifications stopped.

If you know what files/folder is in control of the notifications being sent out, I can copy and paste from my sudo site and run it.   

I have spent about 5hrs total with Godaddy on the phone (They did do all they can) but with being 100% sure I can run the mail php  script and it work, they said it is on my end. 

With 30k members and a bunch of posts every day, I cant loose time  that is the biggest killer.

PS   stmp will not send out notifications either.

I did the "upgrade"  No luck and as stated mail.php runs and sends mail from the server so there are no servers issues.  Im stumped other than a complete wipe out.   

showngo

From the How to file
Extract the archive to the forum's directory, making sure that you delete upgrade.php and all the upgrade-x.x.sql files, and overwrite index.php, the sources folder, and the themes folder. You can either use FTP or cPanel's File Manager. On your forum, if you have replaced the standard smiley files with your own and/or replaced the standard avatar files, you might want to refrain from uploading both the smileys and the avatars directory.

" making sure that you delete upgrade.php and all the upgrade-x.x.sql files, and overwrite index.php, the sources folder, and the themes folder."
Is this BEFORE you run the upgrade.php  or after?
The wording for Delete upgrade.php would be after but delete the  index.php, the sources folder, and the themes folder before?

Illori

it NEVER says to run upgrade.php you are DELETING it.

showngo

Quote from: Illori on November 28, 2017, 09:00:58 AM
it NEVER says to run upgrade.php you are DELETING it.

So just extract the files and then delete the ones I posted (In the instructions) 
If thats the case, Ive been running the upgrade.php and going through the setup again.  Could very well be my problem.  Operator error

shawnb61

If you had mods installed, they may have left hooks in place.  If you are starting with a fresh set of files, you might want to use the repair_settings.php tool to delete all hooks as well.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SaltedWeb

Quote from: showngo on November 28, 2017, 06:24:18 AM

I had issues with simple portal , It was my fault, I went to install an upgrade, had errors and installed anyway, then re-uninstalled it.  After that I messed with it and notifications stopped.

As you may have noticed installing the modification with errors had the expected results.
Just an FYI having the issue with SP in my opinion probably was the result of installing a non-compatible modification
with the SMF version you were using. Simple Portal and most portals on here integrate well with SMF compatible versions.
I just did a fresh install in fact using the newest SMF and Simple Portal. I installed the portal then a theme so I could see the compatibility.
Then if you have other mods installed you should see the errors if any and avoid the final mod install.

If you have errors on a mod rather then rolling the dice, ask the developer of the mod if there is a work around and be sure to copy the errors
and files effected. ( before the install you can see what is effected) They may not always have a answer to why its not working as depending on how many mods you have installed or plan to, the more chance of certain mods not playing nice with each other.

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you upload clean set of files to GoDaddy account via FTP, some of the /Sources files may be deleted.  Try uploading with cpanel file manager.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

showngo

If a Moderator can change the Topic   I GOT THE ANSWER / SOLUTION

My domain was blocked at the server.   HOWEVER the direct testmail.php that I read to do and direct SMTP mail worked because it was not generated my my SFM forum, it was server generated.

There was some mass spamming in November and that is what triggered my forum.   It is also why the same Database on a different server (My test forum to not screw up the real one) was sending out notifications.
This is on a Godaddy host.

Thank you everyone here.  The support for us newly learning members is outstanding.

Advertisement: