SimplePortal

Started by SimplePortal Team, March 10, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFlame

Ok, so I installed SimplePortal and most things are good.  One thing is really bothering me though and I can't figure it out.

In the linktree, I have this when I go to the Forums, and into the default "General Discussion" board which is part of the "General Category":

Forum > General Category > General Discussion

The problem is that the url that is linked to for the "General Category" part of the linktree is incorrect.  It still points to "http://myboard.com/index.php#1", when it should now point to "http://myboard.com/index.php?action=forum#1".

Does anybody know where I went wrong or where I need to go to fix this?  When you click on the "General Category" link as currently defined it directs back to the portal page instead of the forum like it should.

I did a complete pristine install of SMF 1.1.8 and then only applied the SimplePortal 2.1.1 mod and I get these results, so I'm beginning to think this must be a bug in SimplePortal or SMF 1.1.8.
www.YamahaSuperTenere.com - Yamaha Super Tenere Motorcycle Forum

[SiNaN]

That's a know bug and will be fixed with new version which is currently being tested.

For now:

SPortal1-1.php

Find:

#c

Replace:

#

There are more than one instances, make sure you change them all.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

PerryM

I love this module but I can't incorporate it into my smf 2.0 RC1 sites because I'm scared to death of this error:

[/t] 16. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/css/dropmenu.css Test failed
[/t][/t]
[/t] 1. Replace ./Themes/default/css/dropmenu.css Test failed 

I get this all the time on my test sites when I install/uninstall modules and this module is involved.

Many times I can't un-installed this module because of this error and if I install some other modules before this module I get this error.

If you could look into this error and fix it I can then use your module.

Thanks much.
Perry

[SiNaN]

It is perfect to ignore it, if that is the only test failed error.

Quote from: Blue Dream on February 20, 2009, 02:12:25 AM
Quote from: Blue Dream on February 19, 2009, 10:20:57 AM
Ignore the error and install the mod, if it is only dropdown.css. It fixed a bug in SMF default theme, but it have been fixed with SMF 2.0 RC1. The rest should be fine.

We will get rid of that edit with 2.2 version which will be released very soon.

PerryM

Quote from: Blue Dream on February 21, 2009, 05:23:01 AM
It is perfect to ignore it, if that is the only test failed error.

Quote from: Blue Dream on February 20, 2009, 02:12:25 AM
Quote from: Blue Dream on February 19, 2009, 10:20:57 AM
Ignore the error and install the mod, if it is only dropdown.css. It fixed a bug in SMF default theme, but it have been fixed with SMF 2.0 RC1. The rest should be fine.

We will get rid of that edit with 2.2 version which will be released very soon.

Thanks for the great support.
Perry

[SiNaN]

That should appear every time on RC1. In SMF 2.0 Beta 4, there was a admin menu bug and the edit fails was to fix that. Now it is fixed in RC1, so that edit is no longer needed. Edit fails because codes are changed as you may guess.

tbk22

Is it compatible with custom themes/templates?

sry i wasnt able to find that information in the topic
=)

[SiNaN]

Yes, it is compatible with all SMF themes. Only you should add 'forum' button to your custom theme for SMF 1.1 and a single CSS file edit for SMF 2.0 manually. You can use the mod parser in the Mod Site to see manual installation instructions.

tbk22

=)

abbyh

:(

Hi,

I tried installing this mod but after installation, I get database error on my board like this.

Database Error
Table 'abbyh_smfgm.smf_sp_blocks' doesn't exist
File: /home/abbyh/public_html/greenmidori/Sources/Subs-SPortal2.php
Line: 53 

Hope, somebody help me to figure this out. Thanks.

Edit. I figured it out now. I tried the upload package installation and it said I installed it successfully. :)

[SiNaN]

JFlame

Hello.  After installing SimplePortal my linktree no longer shows the Forum Title, instead it just shows "Forum."

Before:

MySite >> General Category >> General Discussion

After:

Forum >> General Category >> General Discussion

This setting used to be controlled by the "Forum Title" setting in the server settings.  It is still set to "MySite", but appears to not be used in the linktree any more. 

Any ideas?

jossanaijr

Hi,
how to create a list of last X members that paid a subscription?

victoryrock

So I tried to install using Install Manager, but I got this error:

7. Execute Modification ./Sources/Recent.php Test failed

Can someone look at it and maybe tell me what is wrong with it?  I am new at manually modifiying code and do not want to mess things up.

File Attached

Thanks!!!

jossanaijr

Hi,
installed and working fine but sometimes in my "Last image attached" block the image does not load and it shows an "X".  Any help?
If I modify the post and delete and attach again the image the block starts to work fine again and load the image.
Have already tried with different browsers and Ctr+F5 too...

[SiNaN]

JFlame:

That's an intended behavior. Once you install the portal, the first item of the linktree will redirect users to forum, not main page.

jossanaijr:

I'll try that later.

victoryrock:

I've applied the changes to your file manually. Ignore the errors and install the mod. Then use the file attached.

jossanaijr:

When it is broken, do you see it as it should be in topic view?

jossanaijr

Quotejossanaijr:
When it is broken, do you see it as it should be in topic view?

Just checked it.
No, at first I cannot see the image in my post, only the image icon and file name.  If I click icon then it reloads and image appears.  But then if I return to portal it is not showing.

victoryrock

Blue Dream,

Do you want me to install it first ignoring the errors, and then replace the new file?  OR Vice Versa?

VR

Quote from: Blue Dream on February 24, 2009, 10:28:28 AM

victoryrock:

I've applied the changes to your file manually. Ignore the errors and install the mod. Then use the file attached.

[SiNaN]

If you don't see image correctly in topic, then its related to SMF I'm afraid.

----

First install the mod ignoring error. Then replace your file with the one I attached.

JFlame

Quote from: Blue Dream on February 24, 2009, 10:28:28 AM
JFlame:

That's an intended behavior. Once you install the portal, the first item of the linktree will redirect users to forum, not main page.

I can see your point of view, and I'll offer you mine.

SMF out of the box is a Forum.  That's it.  It makes sense then for the linktree to have at its base the forum itself, even if it goes under an alias such as "MySite." 

When you install a portal and other modifications, SMF grows to be more than just a forum.  For example, if you start with SMF Forums, and then add Classifieds, Gallery, and Articles, you have a pretty full featured site that is way more than just forums. 

It does not make sense in my example to continue to use the forums as the root of the linktree.  I don't view something like the Gallery as a subset of Forums, I view it as a peer.  In my mind, extending the base SMF package with mods creates this type of structure:

Portal
---->Forums
---->Gallery
---->Classifieds
---->Articles

Whereas you are suggesting this structure:

Portal
Forums
---->Galery
---->Classifieds
---->Articles

This is evident by the way that the linktree will show Forums->Gallery after installing the Gallery mod, even though Gallery is arguably a peer of Forums, not a child.

The linktree actually made more sense when it was aliased with the site name, so at least it LOOKED like Gallery was a peer, rather than a child:

Example:  MySite->Gallery (Pre-SimplePortal installation)
vs  Forums->Gallery (after SimplePortal installation)

The purpose of the linktree is to provide the user reference for where they are, as well as the structure of the site.  I think it's confusing to have top level menu options such as "Home, Forum, Gallery, etc," which implies peer relationship, yet show a parent/child relationship in the linktree.

Food for thought.

Advertisement: