News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrkid

Out with the old, in with the new. Went smooth like butta! Thanks Nao! 8)

Tiribulus

Quote from: zrorox on June 01, 2010, 07:50:51 PM
I can't seem to get the media link to show on top of my forum too:

http://neoncafe.co.cc/index.php

Nao mentioned install-1.1.xml, but all I can do is stare at its code in list files and that's it. It isn't a file for some reason on my server too. So I'm lost X.x...

How do I have a link named "Media" on top?

Please attach the index.template.php for your theme and I'll see what I can do, but NAO is right. It would be to your great advantage to learn at least some troubleshooting and editing yourself. There's no way he can do everybody's edits for them. He'd be planted in his seat all day doing nothing else.

FUBAR

Quote from: Kindred on June 04, 2010, 11:40:09 AM
why do you need to uninstall?

by upgrading (i.e. copying the RC3 files to your server) you will be removing all mods anyway

I recently upgraded from 1.1.8 to 2.0 RC3 using the large upgrade package.  I had a fairly old version of the Auto Embed Mod and SMF Gallery installed, both working as they should.  I didn't uninstall my mods because I was under the impression that using the large upgrade would remove all of my mods anyway.

I would like to install the most recent version of AeVa but I have two questions, I've read other threads but couldn't find a definite answer. 

1. Since I didn't "uninstall" and used the large upgrade instead will this affect my new install?

2. I think this mod makes changes to the database, so will this also be upgraded when I install the latest release even though I had fairly old versions of Auto Embed Mod and SMF Gallery?

I really appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

Kindred

I believe that this mod is "smart" in that it detects if the database tables alreayd exist and does an update to them if they do, or an add if they do not.  So, yes, using the large upgrade package means that you have a clean install of SMF and you can just install most mods (including this one) without pain.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tiribulus

I thought he had a good question and this is good to know.

FUBAR

Thanks for the quick reply Kindred, much appreciated.   I feel better proceeding with the install now and I'll keep my fingers crossed.  I'll be installing this mod and also upgrading to the lastest version of TP (TinyPortal).  Do you think there is a good order to do this in or does that  even matter? 

Kindred

order should not matter with those two mods. Some others make a difference because they don't install fully-cleanly...  but TP and AeMe are well built and should not interfere.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FUBAR

samueliyinbo

Hello,
Please I need help. I want to uninstall the Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio   7.0 which is on my smf, so I can install this mod but I get the following message

"Error in Package Installation"
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Please help

Sabre™

Can you see this text? Im not sure if you can, so holla back if you can see this!
lol :P

You will see which templates fail the uninstalltion as you scroll down the screen.
With those templates, you will have to "manually" remove the code.
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Road Rash Jr.

I was seeking help on installing 1.2 with per existing 1.1b from the programers site.
I was told to come here because he couldn't' be bothered to support his product on his support site. This is the reaction I got from this A hole and I've since put his program in the toilet were it belongs.
     Citation de Road Rash le Hier à 18:36  <blockquote>i'm installing your program not SMF. Why do you have such a bad attitude to help someone fix your broken program? I'm not the only one having trouble upgrading to 1.2</blockquote>    You're not the only one to speak like an idiot either. It doesn't change the fact that you ARE an idiot.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

TheListener

where you looking at installing the newer version before uninstalling the previous one?

Road Rash Jr.

Hi Brack1,
No, I un-installed 1.1b, then while installing 1.2 I got many errors in sub.php and index.php and several other files. Originally I had installed the first version without errors, and subsequent updates without error doing the un-install each time. I have no programing skills but I've been around long enough to know about un-install. No new mods were added or removed during this period of time. It's a shame that some people allow their intellect to cause their personality to be as defective as their programing skills.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Kindred

road rash... please do not bring arguments from other sites to this one. Also, please avoid such personal insults which do not contribute  anything to the topic.

AeMe installs just fine on a clean install of SMF. If it is not installing on your site, then you must have othe rmods which conflict and you will have to manually install the mod into the conflicted files.   Calling the mod "broken" because it is not installing in a modified source file is just silly...  and Nao is certainly not defective in his programming skills... we invited him to work with the team as a consulting developer!
Слaва
Украинi

Tiribulus

Quote from: Road Rash on June 04, 2010, 09:33:19 PM
Hi Brack1,
No, I un-installed 1.1b, then while installing 1.2 I got many errors in sub.php and index.php and several other files. Originally I had installed the first version without errors, and subsequent updates without error doing the un-install each time. I have no programing skills but I've been around long enough to know about un-install. No new mods were added or removed during this period of time. It's a shame that some people allow their intellect to cause their personality to be as defective as their programing skills.
That many errors doesn't make a lot of sense. Can you post a screenshot of the errors on the install page?

Ya gotta kinda get to now NAO. O:) He's impatient (with better reason than you might think), but he is a good guy. This mod also happens to be very tightly written. I can't imagine how you can be getting errors all over the place like that. Even with a bunch of other mods. You don't sound like you do very much editing yourself so that makes it even weirder. See if you can post that screenshot.

Road Rash Jr.

I agree and apologize for my indiscretion. My intent for posting was to bring to others attention the lack of support they can expect on his support forum.
Having just read his resignation here I now understand his intolerance of people like myself who do not possess his intellect.
Like I said all previous installations were done with the mods
Users online today and Simpleportal without incedent.

Tiribulus

Quote from: Road Rash on June 04, 2010, 10:55:30 PM
<<< his intolerance of people like myself who do not possess his intellect.  >>>
That's not it, but it's also another story. Where are you with this mod then? If you are getting errors in /sources/subs.php, index.php and "several other files", it might be useful to see a screenshot, or at least a complete list of what files are failing. I'm no programmer either, but I can usually get myself past installation errors and there's other guys around here that are 1000 times better than me, but we need to know exactly what isn't working.

Road Rash Jr.

@ Tiribulus
You're right I do not do editing myself because I don't have the knowlege or skill prefering to leave it to the experts. If I were 20 years younger I'd dip into the realm of programing however I don't have the patience, or knowlege for programing.
I would gladly provide a screenshot but being impatient myself at others lack of respect, and lack of patience for noobs, I removed his program and installed another program (without incedent). I'm sure a screenshot would have been informative for all the others who were experiencing the same thing I did, so perhaps they would be so kind as to provide one. For me now it is a mute point.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Tiribulus on June 04, 2010, 11:10:50 PM
Quote from: Road Rash on June 04, 2010, 10:55:30 PM
<<< his intolerance of people like myself who do not possess his intellect.  >>>
That's not it, but it's also another story.

The only stupid question is the unasked question.
Sure sounds like it is, I quote in part from his resignation
QuoteBecause I know that the fun of programming itself will be completely destroyed by the awful feeling of having to bear with people who do it wrong, and don't take time to understand what they're doing.
All of my hopes were shattered week after week really. Release after release. New people coming to ask stupid questions.
There's more but that should make the point.
I understand his frustration, in life no matter what field we are in, we are confronted with the new people on the scene and all that is involved, however it doesn't deserve the disrespect shown to myself and others especially when the inquiry is done with respect of one who is more knowledgeable.

Tiribulus

Believe me, there's much more than you are seeing, but how bout what you are seeing? Check the guy on the previous page. Huge red text asking a dime a dozen question that's been answered one million times if he took the time to look around before expecting people to trip over themselves to do everything for him. NAO gets that kinda stuff all the time. Every day... for years. Your answer to him was "don't know how". I mean this with only the most constructive intentions, seriously,  but if I were giving paid lessons on how not to get a response for help with an open source package I doubt I could do much better than that. NAO will read this and will be nodding up and down in agreement.

This a true story. I have 2 PM's  (they're old now) in my inbox where other SMF users asked me "howcome he always answers you, but calls me names?" LOL!  I'm not kidding. I think there's 3 reasons. He can tell I genuinely appreciate the very long hours he puts in providing a very cool free mod and maybe more importantly, my questions are not ones that are answered either in the quite large read me file or 100 times already on this forum. He can also tell I've at least tried everything I can myself before asking. You don't have to know how to code to do your own editing. Most people could do more than they think if they only tried. You just have to be a bit analytical, observant and cautious(do those backups).

Oh well, forgive me for getting off on all that folks.

Advertisement: