General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

FrizzleFried

...yet he still has plenty of time to come in here and not answer questions.    ::)

PS:  To the guy looking for subscribe to the commercial version of AEVA... Know this... (A) It's worth it if you want/need the features it offers over the lite version.  (B) You will get less support for the commercial version THERE than you get for the free version HERE... which is OK as it states so right up front.... just know it.  (C)  You WILL suddenly get 4 errors every time someone uses the drop down menu on the right to post images... OR if they use the BBC button.  The error are harmless unidentified index errors but they ARE annoying... and nope... no one at the official support site is willing and/or able to help out.  I've been told more than once by the gentleman above that it's something not worth fixing (I am paraphrasing here...).  So don't expect those errors to go away anytime soon.

Arantor

Because trying to offer support for something I spent a great many hours to learn is in principle a good thing, is it not? Never mind the fact I submit bug reports to the SMF team (like the one that will break paid subscriptions soon), of course.

Regarding C), of course no-one at the official site is willing to help out. That's what 'unsupported' means, it means you will not get any official support from the people selling it. If users want to offer support, fine. The only reason I stated that here is not the proper venue is because the only place to get 2.x is not here, and the bulk of people who come to this thread use the free version.

Any more passive aggressive insults? Any more amusement at the expense of others?

hardcorps

Quote from: FrizzleFried on September 30, 2012, 12:44:39 PM
To the guy looking for subscribe to the commercial version of AEVA... Know this... (A) It's worth it if you want/need the features it offers over the lite version.

Well, after looking it over last night, it doesn't really offer much I need over the free version... except it removes the Wedge backlink (but not the copyright) which is kind of all I was after. I probably could have searched through google to find how to excise it from the code, but would have felt bad doing it that way.

As for additional features, I can't get videos to work in playlists, which makes the whole thing sort of redundant for me, so I've switched the function off. Maybe not worth $10 when 1.4w basically does it all, but I'm still happy to pay something for such a neat mod.

Quote(B) You will get less support for the commercial version THERE than you get for the free version HERE... which is OK as it states so right up front.... just know it.

I noticed lol.  :) My thread post has been open for 24hrs with about 3 views no answers. It's ok though, I can live without Playlists.

Quote(C)  You WILL suddenly get 4 errors every time someone uses the drop down menu on the right to post images... OR if they use the BBC button.  The error are harmless unidentified index errors but they ARE annoying... and nope... no one at the official support site is willing and/or able to help out.

That's concerning. I've just gone off to test this and I can't see any error messages appearing from using the right hand drop down to add images to an album. It seems to go smoothly, but if you can let me know the steps to replicate this error I would be very interested (unless you mean it appears in the error log admin side?)

I know I just paid for it, but I'll happily downgrade to 1.4w if this version has unfixable issues.

Also, I just noticed the Avea Media button in the post section, is this what you meant by BBC button? When I click it, it opens a new window that appears to be a shortcut for uploading images to your albums, but then subsequently places a BBCode link for the image into the forum post.

This is quite a confusing feature. I would have expected it to allow you to browse your existing album images and insert a BBcode for one of those, rather than require you to upload a brand new image to add something to the post. Is there a way to disable this button if I wanted to?

Also, it doesn't throw an error when I use it, just opens a pop up window. How do I get it to throw the error?

Thank you again guys. My site is still under maintenance at the moment and I'm hoping to iron out any bugs before going live. Please don't argue though gents, not worth it. I appreciate any help at all.  ;)

Kindred

IMO. The bbc button works exactly as it should...  A shortcut to upload a new image and link to it...   It would not make a huge amount of sense to try and find existing images... Especially if there are thousands of images In the galleries.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hardcorps

Quote from: Kindred on September 30, 2012, 11:32:10 PM
IMO. The bbc button works exactly as it should...  A shortcut to upload a new image and link to it...   It would not make a huge amount of sense to try and find existing images... Especially if there are thousands of images In the galleries.

Yes I can see that I suppose. I just hope people won't use it irresponsibly because it's a quick way to get an image from their desktop into a post, I'd prefer galleries to be purposeful and well-kept rather than pointlessly eating server space. I'll monitor its usage.  :)

So you have no errors with the BBC button? And the other error (dropdown menu) where would I look for these?

Thanks all.

Kindred

I get occasional "undefined" variable errors... nothing major and nothing which I consider more than a minor annoyance.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hardcorps

Quote from: Kindred on October 01, 2012, 11:10:36 AM
I get occasional "undefined" variable errors... nothing major and nothing which I consider more than a minor annoyance.

And that's on the frontend? 

Funny, I can't seem to replicate it.  :P

Does this error exist on 1.4w or only on 2.X?

Kindred

no, it's not on the front end...  they just appear in the SMF admin error log. As I said, nothing more than a minor annoyance.
Слaва
Украинi

hardcorps

Quote from: Kindred on October 01, 2012, 11:39:39 AM
no, it's not on the front end...  they just appear in the SMF admin error log. As I said, nothing more than a minor annoyance.

Cool, I can live with that. Thanks for the info.  ;)

FrizzleFried

Yeah... the errors don't show up for the users (well,  they do but you have to look for them...basically the "FILE SIZE LIMIT" is supposed to display... but it doesn't... and it generates the unidentified index error for 4 different entries on the screen.  The user just sees a blank spot where the file size limit should be... the errors are then generated in the LOG... 4 per photo.... not a huge deal,  but if you're anal about keeping your error log clear,  it can be a little frustrating.

Personally,  I deal with it.  I also have another mod (a vote mod) that does the same thing... generates 3 or 4 errors per vote... THAT one gets a little old as my users run a ton of polls... I end up deleting some 300 to 400 errors a week due to that mod.  Again,  nothing noticeable from the users perspective though so it's not a huge deal.

hardcorps

Quote from: FrizzleFried on October 01, 2012, 03:45:11 PM
Yeah... the errors don't show up for the users (well,  they do but you have to look for them...basically the "FILE SIZE LIMIT" is supposed to display... but it doesn't... and it generates the unidentified index error for 4 different entries on the screen.  The user just sees a blank spot where the file size limit should be... the errors are then generated in the LOG... 4 per photo.... not a huge deal,  but if you're anal about keeping your error log clear,  it can be a little frustrating.

Ah, now that explains why the file size limit doesn't appear anywhere. I thought that was an oddly lacking feature, it just says the file is too big without explaining the parameters. I figured I'll just have to create a rules section dictating gallery usage and put the info in there.

Now I do have a small prob I was hoping you can help with. After dicking about with it today, I created a regular user account to see how the gallery looks to an observer rather than author, and noticed that all the images are labelled 'new posts' as they would be in the forum.

All well and good, except when I click on the images and view them, then go back to the home page, said images still say 'new posts' as if they haven't been viewed. I tried this with all the test images in the gallery, same thing, so it's global.

Does anyone know if this is something to do with permission settings? For instance, if you have an account that's allowed to view the galleries in-depth, but not allowed to create your own, it permanently labels everything 'new posts'?

Thanks for the info, hoping this is a documented issue. I'll mess around with it more in the meantime.

FrizzleFried

Try clicking mark all new as read option... then try again and see if the behavior remains.  I don't have any new images right now so I can't tell you exactly where to look for that option (I do believe it's a drop down option though)...

hardcorps

Quote from: FrizzleFried on October 01, 2012, 05:24:38 PM
Try clicking mark all new as read option... then try again and see if the behavior remains.  I don't have any new images right now so I can't tell you exactly where to look for that option (I do believe it's a drop down option though)...

Ok, weird behaviour.

The newbie test account was given permission to view any album but not comment or create albums etc.

I went back into the album created under the admin account with the newbie account, and found after clicking on two items, the 'new post' tag went away, but for all the others it wouldn't.  ???
The 'mark as read' button isn't available if you only have viewing rights.

Also, when viewing with the newbie account, it breaks the template slightly, allowing you to scroll the forum about 100px to the right - I can't see any reason why it's doing this. With the admin, it's in a totally fixed position.

Finally I gave the newbie account full access to the gallery functions and went back using the account. I clicked 'marked as read' and it instantly marked the entire folder as read (as opposed to the one image I had ticked) - is this normal behaviour.

Also, when the newbie account has full privileges like this, the template doesn't break anymore!

And so it begins...   :-\

I also ran maintenance and didn't see any difference. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

EDIT:

I solved the broken template thing by slightly adjusting the permissions, oddly. I also managed to make the 'mark as seen' button appear for newbie's who have viewing but not usage rights over the galleries.

Can someone just confirm something for me by checking their gallery?

If you use a newbie account with spectator privileges only to view someone's gallery, does the 'new' notice disappear from the overview once you have clicked on the image and viewed it within their album, or do you have to click 'mark as seen' to make those tags go away?

phpshiva

Hi love this gallery but my pakkagemanager is not working so i got to do it by hand
all other mods are ok
but looking over and over again i stil keep getting this error

index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=878: Undefined index: aevaBestand: /public_html/Themes/default/Aeva.template.php
line: 441 and 442

i cant find the error in those 2 line's
The rest of the gallery is working just fine

i got sms 2.0.2
and Aeva media 1.4
and language is dutch

hardcorps

Hello guys, despite buying 2.X, I've downgraded to 1.4w which seems better behaved.  :P

Does anyone know how to disable all Playlist functionality in 1.4w?

phpshiva

weerforum

If a member has a youtube video post I only see the url.
Only after a reaction is the movie does appear.
Is there a setting for members ?
I as admin can post without these problem.

hardcorps

Quote from: phpshiva on October 09, 2012, 09:59:26 AM
Thats in admin settings of Aeva media untick the box

That option doesn't seem to exist in 1.4w sadly.

I've gone back to 2.10 after deleting all the db files for a fresh re-install. Seems slightly better for now, although this mod is giving me a bit of a headache.  :(

phpshiva

Advertisement: