News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Password Protected!

Started by Vinoth, July 09, 2004, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinoth

Can we have this feature done,

password protected sections/ 

u need a magic cookie password to view the contents of the forum/
Vinoth And Sachin ( SpecHackers Team )
The Best  Way to Help Poor Is not Becoming One Of Them.

Peter Duggan

Why complicate things with passwords when member groups and permissions already do exactly what you need?

Vinoth

but a password protected would look more nice, and the directory would also been seen/

Peter Duggan

So I want to read this section (and have the rights), but I have to enter this frustrating password every time to get in? Meanwhile everyone who can still see it but doesn't have the rights is equally frustrated by their exclusion...

So just how does that 'look more nice'? ::)

Daniel D.

Quote from: SpecHackers on July 10, 2004, 01:15:04 AM
but a password protected would look more nice, and the directory would also been seen/
What?!? HAHA, you're funny man - it looks nicer. I would be angry if I see a board and a window pops up to tell me that I can't visit the board until I have the right password. ::)

edi67

Quote from: Peter Duggan on July 09, 2004, 04:26:36 PM
Why complicate things with passwords when member groups and permissions already do exactly what you need?

because if i create one membergroups only for entry in one section protected after i must give this permission to all other mebers as moderator, global moderators and other group members with password protection will be more simple make this for example in my moderators somebody dont want use some section protected with password and how i can have him without permission and others yes?

only asking..
CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

Vinoth

cool guys,

see if i need only my self and selected members to enter that forum ( selected members are from different sub groups ) !

then it would be more difficult for me to unite them to one group!

better if a directory has an password, only the person who knows password can enter the magic world to make posts/

Think developers, think/

edi67

i liked this idea  by many time and i was asking some times already
CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

Vinoth

Let see if this is added in offcial mod list or taken into consideration/

Yonkey

Why don't you just make that board invisible to all members, except those who are allowed to see it.  Global Moderators and Administrators will see all boards anyway.

Vinoth

you are not understanding what i say,

lets take for an example/

a new member,  a senior member  and  only  on moderator /

i need these three to only allow to see the contents of board/

so i must make these three in an special group and by the way i have to setup a new group for the moderator ( coz due to permissions )

See lot of works,  better  have an password protected/

if u have password , enter else  get away/

Yonkey

You can make a "Omnimpotent User" group and put all three members in that member group.  Then you make the board only visible to Omnipotent Users.

It's not a lot of work, it's probably the same amount of work as you telling each person the password.

Vinoth

nope,

one is an mod and others are members/

so prob two groups for accessing the   directory.

u have to keep on adding each time a new member when he needs access to that forum,

seems little work , but better withno work just give the password

Yonkey

A moderator isn't really different from a regular member (in terms of member groups).  It's a Global Moderator that's different, but they can access every forum anyway.

A password protected forum isn't very secure because if someone tells that password to someone, they could get in, or worse tell someone else.  Then you'd have to change the password and notify everyone all over again. 

But, if you make the forum membergroup specific, only the authorized people can get in.

Anguz

Quoteseems little work , but better withno work just give the password

you seem to forget that if you set a password, you'll have to msg each one of them... and if something happens and you need to change the pass, there you go again...

if you just put them in a group and you need to take away that priv from one, just modify that profile and the rest remain the same... iirc, the Member Specific Permissions mod by Grudge was written because of this kind of request
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

[Unknown]

Remember that a member could be in 5, 10, or even 15 groups.  There's no reason you're limited to restricting access to their primary groups.

-[Unknown]

Vinoth

why not we have both the features enabled, by which users can choose which one to opt/

Yonkey

Quote from: SpecHackers on July 10, 2004, 06:43:55 PM
why not we have both the features enabled, by which users can choose which one to opt/

Probably because the membergroup permission feature is already done.  :P

Grudge

This does get asked a lot and I think that there *may* be some cases where people want to use it. I mean with the SMF permissions there is no real need for it but I'm not morally against it - that said I certainly woudn't expect to see it any time soon. I do like the idea of showing someone a board yet them not being able to enter it - that's one thing that could be useful for some.
I'm only a half geek really...

Vinoth

Lets Hope that this feature is added in your lists/

emrys

Ok ive tried doing a pasword preotected area before
A Its a pain in the BLANK for the Users cause entering a pasword everytime you want to do anything int he protected area is annoying

B You would also have to hange the entire cookie structure and session handling to do your Magick cookie theory naming who get sthen and who does nto in the code itself or wuld have to be a membergroup thing

If you were going to do it that way ti wold be a waste of time because ember groups and permissions Already do this you can edit a users permissions right from their profile now as it is so why all teh added work and drama?

soweb

Here is how and why I need password protection. We have a fan club and inside the fan club section we allow members to view the fan club board only. I put a password up in the fan club seciton and change it out from time to time. That way when new members come in they can get the password. And I don't have to go and change thier status in SM.

This is very very important for me. is there a mod?? can we have this option?? Please!!

k//eternal

Look, passwords don't have to be entered EVERY TIME you enter a protected forum... I was thinking that the password would set a variable on the user's account that would allow the user permanent access to that forum.

Membergroups CANNOT be used as a complete substitute for this purpose. As proof I submit the following.

1. If you set a member's usergroup, the new usergroup will show with each post they make. What if I don't want that?

2. Say there are several protected forums, for example, 5. But you don't want them to have layered access; that is, each forum is equal in status, it's just that they target different types of people, and a user may be any number of these types. In that case, you would have to make 32 usergroups to allow for each combination. That is a major pain in the ass.

3. Look how many people want this feature. If membergroups were a complete solution, then WHY are people complaining?

I was under the impression that SMF aimed to be a complete and easy-to-use board. While for the most part it is (which is why these people aren't giving up on it entirely), if you want to achieve this goal, instead of insisting that this feature is unnecessary (which it isn't), you could just implement it.

Nobody said it was easy, but if you just want the coding to be easy all the time, you're not going to have the best board. That's all.

bolaoni

Sorry I am waking this thread up.

I think it is high time SMF has what is being asked for here.
Any solution yet?

I have tried creating Member groups, but there are some people within
a group that I will want to view multiple threads, so how do
I merge them all together?

Pure.

I may be missing something here. But doesn't the "Secondary Group" option solve all of this? You can have as many of those as you want per user without affecting what is "displayed" next to their name. Why not use it. It's a great feature.

Peace, Lance

Advertisement: