Problem with frequent error -- do I have a security situation?

Started by pepf, May 06, 2024, 12:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepf

Several times a day the forum shows error messages like the one below:

<quote>
 196.xx.xx.xx
 3647e157cce338675055f21611ce40b1
 https://xxxxxx.com/forum/index.php?action=register  Backtrace information

Type of error: Template
Error messageSelect
Unable to load the 'main' template.
<unquote>

Is this from bots trying to register?
Checking the IPs found that they are from different places like South Africa, China, USA.
Sometimes it is only a few seconds until a retry from the same IP occurs, sometimes a few minutes.
None of these have successfully registered, that is why I suspect that it is a bot abandoning the try and doing another one just shortly after.

What is the 'main' template? Shall I just ignore the whole thing? These errors started suddenly and are usually within about ten or a dozen a day. It may have started after I had to unblock registration via VPN access for legitimate users.

@rjen

Let me guess, using Optimus, latest beta version?

That is a non existent action that would normally not log an error.
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

pepf

Thanks for answering.
Optimus is given as version 2.11, but there is a problem with the package installation. I had it installed and later tried to remove it. It did not work...now it sits there with a button for listing the files and one for deleting it, but none to Install or Uninstall. I did not dare deleting it fearing that something unrelated might break.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

pepf

Thanks, did do that. But the problem with the registration error "main" template persists. Perhaps not related to that mod as it (the mod) was installed long before the problem started.

pepf

I just reinstalled the VPN blocking mod as there was again a number of registration tries since yesterday. If they cease, then it will probably be clear what caused the error.

pepf

Still getting the error messages after reinstalling VPN blocker mod.

Kindred

Then it seems that the VPN blocker mod is the problem.   Ask the author for assistance in the thread dedicated to supporting that mod
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: