News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Happy Birthday mail

Started by Tim, November 21, 2004, 06:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I just received a Happy Birthday mail from a vBulletin forum I frequent.

i don't know why, but it brought a little sparkle in my eye ;)

An idea for SMF?

Anguz

This has been requested a few times. Those emails are a nice touch.

Happy Birthday Tim.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Peter Duggan

Happy Birthday Tim! :)

PS Welcome to the 'wish yourself a happy birthday club' (Ben S, Peter Duggan 2003).

Amacythe

The birthday email has been requested a few times.  I think it should be an option in the admin panel right below the 'Show birthdays on board index'.

codenaught

I agree. Would be a nice little 'gift' to the users.  :P
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Tim

It's really amazing, because even though I know noone there would have remembered, getting the email seemed like they did..

Talk about a nice gift lol ;D

[Unknown]

If someone wants to write code for this, I can put it into 1.1.  I don't have time for it right now, though.

One thing though - I would say that it would mean one thousand times more if it was just a button someone had to press.  Maybe even the possibility for a personalized message.

Because, while a little message may make a sparkle in your eye, the knowledge that *someone* cared enough to do it... well, that will put a sparkle in your heart.  It also means it won't be sent at midnight, which will probably mean all that much more.

One related thing I have wondered about - people in other time zones... should it show as your birthday only when it is your birthday... in your time zone?  Seems horribly complicated, though.

-[Unknown]

Webby

Tim, gefeliciteerd nog ;)

I asked for this a few time, in combination with a sendcard (www.sendcard.org) script that is. Although it would be nice if it was just a simple message saying happy birthday......

Would be nice if someone could write a script for this !!

see :

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=19542.new;boardseen#new
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=19922.msg160612#msg160612

Tim

Button to click?

You mean like users can click a button and wish the member a happy birthday?

Or the admin needs to click a button?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Tim on November 23, 2004, 07:38:05 PM
You mean like users can click a button and wish the member a happy birthday?

Bingo.  Except, I would say it only has to be clicked once, and it would be an email from the forum still.  Just sent by some member - or even perhaps a guest.

-[Unknown]

Anguz

Well, in the upcoming calendar link with the member's name, you could maybe make that send the HB email. :)

Oldiesmann

I actually didn't think too much of that vBulletin email when it was my birthday because I post on two or three different vBulletin boards, and I got the same message from all of them (even one that I rarely post on), so it didn't seem as special to me. It's more fun when people start happy birthday threads in your honor ;)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tim

Well, if you add ten diferent messages chances of getting the same one from multiple boards get slimmed down a bit :)

I like the idea to have a user send the member a message, but what about us less popular ones?

[Unknown]

If it were easy enough, the birthday emails could depend on the community - I mean, to whom they are sent.  I think this would "feel" a lot better, personally.

Of course, it would need the "midnight option" just in case all members hated each other or something.

-[Unknown]

Anguz

Well, the default bd email could be editable by the admin, that'd make the emails from different SMFs unique. Also, it doesn't have to go at midnight, it can be sent once that day, but may be at noon, for example, or some other chosen time by admin.

Amacythe

Maybe send it upon the first post of that day? or the third or whatever...

[Unknown]

Wouldn't work for an international forum like this one, or for a forum that gets only one post a day.

-[Unknown]

Webby

Well, I would like to see it work with a cronjob, but first there has to be someone who wants to write such a mod...... ;)

Webby

Nobody who wants to have a go at this ?

Maybe some suggestions then on how to do this ?

Webby

Pause

Quote from: Webby on December 14, 2004, 11:39:35 AM
Nobody ???
If I was any good (and knowledgeable) at coding, I would, but unfortunately I'm not so I can't... it's definately a good idea though... Probably best for it to be a pm in my opinion (if they have notify on private message, then they'd find out about it in their email anyway).
"You and me, inside that box, now." - The Doctor

Bite Fusion
Fusion Web Network
VG Fusion
Wrestling Fusion + Wrestling Fusion Forums

Webby

Maybe someone could give us a push in the right direction ?

Midgard

Han

I'd like to give this topic a kickstart.  ;)

This is a really nice idea. We now send this bithday-email by hand.
It would be nice if this was a forumfunction.

SekondeR

windirect

URPG

You could send a <your website's Team> E-Mail instantly and send one at 23:59 on the birthday and all Members have time to click a button to sign a greeting card by the members? Would reduce the amount of E-Mails send and have a nice personal touch too.

flegmatyk

It could work this way that a day before birthday everyone who log on the forum (but the person who have birthday) will get a question if he/she wants to sign a birthday card. Then, at birthday will be sent an email with all these people signed ;) That would be nice i think, but it could be problematic if your forum is big and there are more than 5 birthdays everyday...

Advertisement: