News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SimplePortal

Started by SimplePortal Team, March 10, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slumdog10

Hi I have installed the latest simple portal and m running the latest smf. but after installing the simple portal and setting it as front page i can see all the blocks which is great but there is the section in the centre wiht all the writting about the simple portal.

Can you tell me how i get rid of all the writting about the simple portal and add my own welcome text.

thanks

Angelina Belle

slumdog10 -- look through all the blocks in your blocks list.  You will see the welcome block. Click on the picture of the wrench/spanner to edit that block.  For more information, please see Simple Portal documentation at simpleportal.net

zexion -- Here's how I found the answer:
1) sp_recent uses 'ssi_recent' . $type in SSI.php. 
2) So I looked in SSI.php for ssi_recentTopics,
3) which calls ssi_QueryPosts.
4) and ssi_QueryPosts
brings back the author of the current post, not the author of the topic.

Making the change you want would require a change to PortalBlocks.php as well as a change to SSI.php. Of course, it can be done, but it will not be convenient, as the SSI.php changes could disappear on any SMF upgrade, and the PortalBlocks.php changes could disappear on any SimplePortal upgrade.  Still interested?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

żεχเ๏ภ

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on October 12, 2011, 03:11:38 PM
zexion -- Here's how I found the answer:
1) sp_recent uses 'ssi_recent' . $type in SSI.php. 
2) So I looked in SSI.php for ssi_recentTopics,
3) which calls ssi_QueryPosts.
4) and ssi_QueryPosts brings back the author of the current post, not the author of the topic.

Making the change you want would require a change to PortalBlocks.php as well as a change to SSI.php. Of course, it can be done, but it will not be convenient, as the SSI.php changes could disappear on any SMF upgrade, and the PortalBlocks.php changes could disappear on any SimplePortal upgrade.  Still interested?

Indeed, what changes would I need to make?

Angelina Belle

I was wrong about queryPosts, of course.
This change requires a change to the SQL query.  It requires an additional join, back to the fist post in the topic.
I'm not so confident I'll get it exactly right.
If I gave you some inappropriate SQL, it could slow down the query a LOT, or else, accidently filter out some rows you actually want.

I'm going to recommend you do one of two things.
1) Take this to one of the custom coding boards here at SMF. Say you want to retrieve the author of the original post in the query in ssi_recentTopics
2) Bring it to SimplePortal.net, to the custom coding board.  Say the same thing there, or go on to say you want to use this in the sp_recent block.

I'm sorry -- I just don't want to give you some bad SQL off the top of my head.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

cloksin

I have Simple POrtal 2.3.3 installed on SMF 2.0 RC3 (yes, I know, upgrade SMF... in the process, with all the mods I have that's going to require a complete rebuild then databse port, its in the process.) In the meantime, I'm having problems with permissions in Simple Portal.  I need to set permissions for my shoutbox so that everyone initially has permission to use it, but if the privilage is abused, that permission can be revoked.

In theory what I should be able to do is set the shoutbox permission to "One Membergroup" and select the membergroups I want to have permission to the shoutbox, then I would do the same for the block that the shoutbox is in.

When people join my forum they are automatically put into a membergroup called "Unclassified", after they make their first post they are automatically moved to a membergroup called "New Arrival".  After they've finished their arrival thread with a member of my staff, that member of staff moves them to a membergroup related to the department they will be in, and also adds them to a member group named "shoutbox".

I have all three of these groups selected for permissions in both the shoutbox and the block that it resides, yet when using my test member and removing that member from all groups except his primary department group, he is still able to see and post in the shoutbox.  If I change the permissions to "All Membergroups" then only admins are able to see the shoutbox.  Selecting "Ignore Permissions" defeats the purpose.  Is "One Membergroup" broken in 2.3.3?

What can I do to get this fixed.  I've had a problem with a couple of people using the shoutbox to verbally abuse my other members, banning this person works for a limited time as they keep using proxies to log in with new IP addresses and creating new characters, going after other members.

The way my site is set up I need to let new members use the shoutbox, as its a tool to get info and help on how to get started from more experienced players, and I can't block proxies because many of my members use them for various reasons (such as when using a computer in a public place such as a library and ned to circumvent the filters).

I really need to find a solution to this quickly.
SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

Angelina Belle

Last time I checked, these permissions worked.
The proper way to do this is, as you suggest
* Require users to belong to only "One Membergroup" of the ones you have checked (requiring "All membergroups" limits things to users who belong to all of the checked usergroups)
* Allow only members of the "shoutbox" membergroup to make shouts in the shoutbox.

Is this what you want to achieve?

cloksin

That is exactly correct, yet members that do NOT belong to the shoutbox group (or any of the other two groups selected) are still capable of seeing the shoutbox as well as posting in it.
SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

Angelina Belle

Thanks for being very precise. You are not using "ignore permissions" any longer, on the shoutbox or on the shoutbox block?

cloksin

I am not using "ignore permissions" on either.  Both the shoutbox itself and the block it resides in are using "one membership"
SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

Angelina Belle

Well, that just confirms that something is wrong.
I am not going to be around for several days, and I do not understand why this would have gone wrong, anyway.

Can you take this over to SimplePortal.net? I cannot guarantee anyone's availability over there, but you might have a better chance of having someone look at it.  A subject of "shoutbox ignores permissions" might help attract the right kind of attention.
Right now, all the most knowledgeable hands are busy with beta testing for 2.3.4, but I am hopeful for you....

cloksin

Thanks Angelina, I've already got a thread over there for this http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=9892.0, although its not quite as detailed as this one is.  Do you think I should take my first post from here and post it over there in that thread?
SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

Angelina Belle

I suggest making the subjec specific, and making it easy for the support helper (usually me, but not for the next several days) to absorb the information in one read.

cloksin

SMF 2.0.1
SimplePortal 2.3.3

żεχเ๏ภ

Is there anyway to remove the linktree from the portal page?

Angelina Belle

Removing the linktree from the portal page will require some custom coding in your theme.
Are you ready for that?

żεχเ๏ภ

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on October 26, 2011, 07:22:23 PM
Removing the linktree from the portal page will require some custom coding in your theme.
Are you ready for that?

Nevermind, I solved this with help from simpleportal.net   :D

Angelina Belle

I am glad you found the answer there. I know someone else asked the same question recently.

smitch6

strange one here.
my portal has vanished off the home page of my forum ?
not sure if its a coincidence or not but roughly the same time i had someone report a post
so there was a 'reported post' bit at the top of the forum?

the portal shows everywhere else that i have it set though very strange
Friendly, reliable web hosting at affordable prices
www.normanboatforum.co.uk l www.PatTesterSuffolk.co.uk

Angelina Belle

Are you getting an error message at the top of your forum?

smitch6

no i'm not getting an error at the top :)
Friendly, reliable web hosting at affordable prices
www.normanboatforum.co.uk l www.PatTesterSuffolk.co.uk

Advertisement: