2.1 stats

Started by Bigguy, October 22, 2018, 08:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

It's really nice to see it in action. Especially all the progress that has been made since I opened the site again 9 months ago. Some users like finding bugs, lol. ;)

Gwenwyfar

I purposely break things and make silly tests, so that goes beyond your common bugs ;) I think the menu on mine is still mostly unusable since last time I edited it. That's not something you can do on production.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Bigguy

No your right there, lol. Sounds like a lot of fun actually. I do play around with the css a bit but for now I will leave it to that. After RC1 than I will play a bit more.

GigaWatt

@Bigguy: I actually kinda like Arantor's sarcastic tone in some threads ;)... I guess mostly because it's something I could probably never do... or at least not be successful at it.

Also, in my limited knowledge, for the way you'd like the site to count time online, the site has to reload itself at least 6 times a minute (that's 360 times an hour) in order to maintain a "semi" continuous connection with you as a user. That puts real stress on the servers and the user's browser and if you insert code like that, especially on busy forums that don't run on a dedicated server, this might overload the server, not to mention waste bandwidth (reloading the same thing over and over 360 times an hour).

About that stats issue (top poster and all that), I'll see if I can upgrade my main forum on a test site during the week or the weekend ;). It wouldn't get any new posts (the domain will be locked), but I can see if the stats from all of the previous posts are correct ;). Is that good enough?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Bigguy

If that's something you wanna take time at doing that's great. All I'm trying to do is tell ya what we found. If you guys can't find it then...I guess we were wrong. I don't think we are though. From the stats I posted there should be others in that list that are not there. Gwenwyfar was sayin she has noticed a problem and Arantor didn't count out the topic bug. More confirmation on it would be awesome I think.

GigaWatt

OK, I'll see if I can do it during the week. If not, there's always the weekend ;).

Will post here with results ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Bigguy

One pic of the stats page and one of the member in questions profile. Member has 63 topics and not on the list.

GigaWatt

See, that wasn't so hard, was it ;).

I finished uploading a backup of my forum on a test site, I'll see if I can run the upgrade tonight ;).

Bigguy

None of it was hard. I never said that. I said I had to ask my members.

GigaWatt

OK, I did the upgrade, and there was something weird. As in your case, one of my members wasn't showing on the Top Topic Starters list, though he is on the Top Topic Starters list on 2.0.15.

The user is a mod, if that makes any difference.

There are also some other anomalies, like the number of New Topics and New Posts, but I haven't checked if this is correct (if there are any topics or posts missing). This might have happened during the conversion process... will have to check after I recalculate statistics, see if the same numbers appear again.

Note for all of those converting their forums: It does take some time to convert the attachments, so don't lose hope, it'll finish eventually ;).

Though, there is one positive thing that happened after the conversion :). It revealed the orphaned attachments and thumbnails no longer used (I had thumbnails enabled and then disabled it, but it doesn't clean house and delete the ones already created), so now, I can do a little bit of a clean up on my forum :).

live627

Quote from: Bigguy on October 25, 2018, 06:55:54 AM
One pic of the stats page and one of the member in questions profile. Member has 63 topics and not on the list.
First!1

* live627 disengages youtube comment mode

I call bug. Will look into it.

live627

Modified Stats.php attached. Can we fix it?

GigaWatt

The attached Stats.php seems to have fixed the bug, now the member is showing in the Top Topic Starters stats ;).

live627

Splendid. BTW, the first quote in your signature describes Tetris.

Bigguy

That fixed the error with the top topic starters. Awesome.

live627

Neat! I'll submit the patch now.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Thanks for the report Bigguy, and for the fix live one :)

P.s. what was wrong?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

The Top Topic Starter stats were incorrect, the second most active topic starter was always missing from the list ;).

Quote from: live627 on October 26, 2018, 07:40:42 AM
BTW, the first quote in your signature describes Tetris.

LOL :D, that's not the point of the quote... well, at least not entirely :P.

live627

I know, but coincidences are funny sometimes. Ayy.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: GigaWatt on October 26, 2018, 06:30:24 PM
The Top Topic Starter stats were incorrect, the second most active topic starter was always missing from the list ;).
That I kinda figured, but I meant more like why it did that? :P
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: