News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Cotton Candy

Started by shawnb61, August 26, 2022, 02:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb61

Link to the theme

Cotton Candy

Overview:
Candy is a light pastel theme, hinting at cotton candy being spun.  Suitable for anime, cartoon, or similar light-hearted themes.  Or sites featuring serial killers.

This theme is built up from the 2.1 Curve2 theme, with several features added for flexibility.

The goal is to provide a single very flexible, usable and feature-rich theme.  A theme that is usable right out of the box - no need to even build a custom banner, it dynamically builds one for you.

This theme is, in part, a demo.  Theme designers should feel free to borrow code & ideas.  It is very straightforward to copy these features over to any theme.

Features:
  • Background animations.  A simple framework is provided for animations.
  • Simplified yet flexible color palette.  The forum's entire palette of colors may be updated on the Current Theme admin screen.
  • Even the colors for checkboxes and radio buttons are under user control.  Including their backgrounds...  No more blinding white squares on dark themes...
  • Real-time color updates.
  • SVG graphics can use style elements from the theme.  E.g., the hamburger icon is dynamically colored to match your palette.
  • Dynamically built SVG forum banners, guaranteed to match your forum color scheme.
  • Color palette is automatically propagated down into the sceditor as well.

Requirements:
  • The Color Changer mod must be installed.  Or bad things happen.
  • Javascript must be enabled for any of the js to work, including some admin functions as well as the animations.
  • 2.1 only.

Limitations:
  • Some browsers handle the animations much better than others...  Modern browsers will be fine.  This was tested with Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, Edge and Safari (iPhone only).
Releases:
 - v1.4 Initial release
 - v1.5 Ensure proper defaults used on initial load
 - v1.6 Color enhancements; more user control & fix some contrast issues
 - v1.7 2.1.4 updates
 - v1.8 Improve contrast, consistency, user control
 - v1.9 Fix typo, address console error
 - v1.10 Fix stray checkbox bug
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

TwitchisMental

Nice theme, keep them coming :D.

-Rock Lee-

This goes wanting, cute designed :).

Regards
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

d3vcho

Hey! Old men are now allowed to make themes?  ???

Just kidding mate, I just took a look at your themes, nice looking all of them! ;)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Doug Heffernan

Agreed, nice theme.

You are on a roll @shawnb61 :D 

shawnb61

For those who like to play around with these...

You can get some very trippy effects on this one by varying the # of trails in theme.js (line 65) and the width of the trails (line 168).  Either LOTS of skinny trails, or better yet, a small # of huge trails, e.g., 60px wide.  Or... LOTS of WIDE ones... 

It's also fun to muck around with the color generator...  Emphasize some colors over others.  For example, exchange:
    let finalHexString = "#";
    for (let i = 0; i < 6; i++)
    {
        finalHexString += hexSet[Math.ceil(Math.random() * 15)];
    }
    return finalHexString;
With...
    let finalHexString = "#";
    for (let i = 0; i < 2; i++)
    finalHexString += "00";
    for (let i = 0; i < 2; i++)
    return finalHexString;

...to pull all the greens out & only use reds, blues & purples. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

- v1.6 Color enhancements; more user control & fix some contrast issues

shawnb61

v1.7 released.  Minor tweak to allow control of new SMF 2.1.4 attachment UI colors.

shawnb61

Latest version uploaded - 1.10 - addresses a couple minor bugs.

Advertisement: