News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Last version to use php 5.5 or 5.6

Started by Methen, October 30, 2022, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Methen

Did not know where to put this at since I do know the appreciate version But what was the last version to use php version 5.5  or 5.6 ?
Somebody is asking for a Hinne Whooping!

Methen

Steve

Live's messing with you, sorta. If you upgrade your forum to 2.0.19 you'll be able to use up to php v8.0 ...

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Requirements_and_recommendations
DO NOT pm me for support!

live627

Methen

Quote from: Steve on October 31, 2022, 06:06:46 AMLive's messing with you, sorta. If you upgrade your forum to 2.0.19 you'll be able to use up to php v8.0 ...

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Requirements_and_recommendations
The problem with that is iam using other things that are no longer supported cause the companys went out of business and will not support higher versions of php

Steve

Sorry live ... from your answer I thought you were. My apologies.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Quote from: Methen on October 31, 2022, 10:23:00 PMThe problem with that is iam using other things that are no longer supported cause the companys went out of business and will not support higher versions of php

IN that case, you are in trouble.   php 5.5 and 5.6 are dead. They are not receiving updates any more. There may be known security holes in those versions which are not going to be patched.

Change hosts, ASAP.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Methen

Quote from: Kindred on November 01, 2022, 08:34:53 AM
Quote from: Methen on October 31, 2022, 10:23:00 PMThe problem with that is iam using other things that are no longer supported cause the companys went out of business and will not support higher versions of php

IN that case, you are in trouble.   php 5.5 and 5.6 are dead. They are not receiving updates any more. There may be known security holes in those versions which are not going to be patched.

Change hosts, ASAP.
My host does not do that they let people have a choice and have been doing so for years and their are web host that specialize in using old versions of php for people that run old scripts and even if that were not true a person could still sit up their own server and run what ever version of php and mysql that they choose to do so, it seems to real solution is to designed the soft ware to work with any version of php or mysql  or to at least to be a little more tolerant . There is also suppose to be  a work around by doing something by having the script to point to the proper version pf php but you have to have a separate domain not a web host

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Methen on November 01, 2022, 10:49:25 AMMy host does not do that they let people have a choice and have been doing so for years and their are web host that specialize in using old versions of php for people that run old scripts and even if that were not true a person could still sit up their own server and run what ever version of php and mysql that they choose to do so, it seems to real solution is to designed the soft ware to work with any version of php or mysql  or to at least to be a little more tolerant . There is also suppose to be  a work around by doing something by having the script to point to the proper version pf php but you have to have a separate domain not a web host

Who is your host? Any decent host does the opposite. They encourage their customers to use the latest php/mysql versions.

I would not touch the services of such a host with a 10 foot pole.

To echo my colleague above:

Quote from: Kindred on November 01, 2022, 08:34:53 AMChange hosts, ASAP.

Kindred

Quote from: Methen on November 01, 2022, 10:49:25 AMMy host does not do that they let people have a choice and have been doing so for years and their are web host that specialize in using old versions of php for people that run old scripts and even if that were not true a person could still sit up their own server and run what ever version of php and mysql that they choose to do so, it seems to real solution is to designed the soft ware to work with any version of php or mysql  or to at least to be a little more tolerant . There is also suppose to be  a work around by doing something by having the script to point to the proper version pf php but you have to have a separate domain not a web host

No. You are completely and utterly wrong.
This host is knowingly allowing people to run services and scripts with vulnerabilities... they not only expose THAT account, but, since several vulnerabilities allow server access, they potentially expose other accounts.

We retire support for versions which have been End of Lifed for a significant time because expecting US to support versions that the distributors/authors no longer support is just silly (not to mention futile)

I mean, by your standard,  we should still support internet explorer 1.0 -- which won't even run modern web pages.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Methen

Quote from: Kindred on November 01, 2022, 07:55:02 PM

No. You are completely and utterly wrong.
This host is knowingly allowing people to run services and scripts with vulnerabilities... they not only expose THAT account, but, since several vulnerabilities allow server access, they potentially expose other accounts.

We retire support for versions which have been End of Lifed for a significant time because expecting US to support versions that the distributors/authors no longer support is just silly (not to mention futile)

I mean, by your standard,  we should stoll dupport internet explorer 1.0 -- which won't even run modern web pages.
as I said there are places for older php hosting not all people think like you

https://www.a2hosting.com/php-hosting/5.6

https://www.webhostface.com/php-4-hosting/

https://www.hostingadvice.com/best/php-hosting/

The purpose of a web host is to make money , The smart ones know that they are not going to do that by stopping people from running their favorite scripts all that is gong to do it drive away potential customers.

Kindred

And I am telling you that those hosts, in their goal to make money, are knowingly exposing their customers to being hacked because they allow unsupported versions of software with known vulnerabilities.

Anyone who uses such a host is either clueless or stupid
Слaва
Украинi

Methen

Quote from: Kindred on November 01, 2022, 08:12:47 PMAnd I am telling you that those hosts, in their goal to make money, are knowingly exposing their customers to being hacked because they allow unsupported versions of software with known vulnerabilities.

Anyone who uses such a host is either clueless or stupid
Then there must be a lot of clueless and stupid people then.

savo

Bluehost doesn't list older versions of php as being available anymore.

You cannot view this attachment.

Kindred

Quote from: Methen on November 01, 2022, 08:18:28 PMThen there must be a lot of clueless and stupid people then.

Yes.  Yes there are
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: