News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Newsletter CPU Use

Started by shin111, April 23, 2015, 12:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin111

I'm using SMF 1.1.20.

I sent out a newsletter recently and the amount of CPU usage caused my webservice provider (Webhostingpad) to temporarily shut down the site. I have a small forum that hardly uses much resources, so I am quite displeased with Webhostingpad. However as that's what I have until -- I have the time to make the effort to change service providers -- I'd like to know if there's a way to configure SMF to use less CPU sending the newsletter?

(I am not upgrading to 2.x because I would not be able to keep the forum's theme, mod packages and overall customization)

margarett

How many members did you send the newsletter to?
1.1.x doesn't feature mail queue like 2.0 does so everything is sent at once. While that can cause you spam-like problems (eg, you being "marked" as spammer) I would debate if that can cause a CPU hog...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

shin111

Actually it did break it up into 3 parts sending it off. The forum has only around 200 members.

The resources usage part of cpanel showed I had been limited and the CPU had hit the 100% allowed usage mark -- right when I sent out the newsletter. And then of course there was the temporary downtime after the webhost enforced.

margarett

Sending 200 emails is hardly resource intensive...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: