News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[3565] Active "Jump To" option Shows HTML Formatting Code

Started by CarpeDiem, July 02, 2009, 12:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarpeDiem

I'm using 2.0 RC1-1.

I notice that when I activate a topic and look at the Jump To list, the Jump To list shows the HTML formatting code, but the line that shows the path is simply formatted (but the code doesn't show, it just works as expected).

A picture is worth 1,000 words they say, so instead of trying to say more, please look at the attached picture.

Notice in the attached picture at the top it shows Quick Overview and on the Jump To it shows the HTML coding after the arrow like this:
Quote=> <u>Quick Overview</u>

Since the HTML code will probably confuse my non-computer oriented users, I'm sending in a possible bug report (it shouldn't show the HTML code on the Jump To line in the active on-line forum is what I'm saying -- coding is not what we usually display to the public at large). 

I don't know if it was true before 2.0 RC1-1, since I never used anything before this version.  I do notice that it always is true of whatever topic is open (in other words, if I switch to another topic, the Jump To shows the HTML coding for that then current topic, but the HTML formatting that was displayed before, like on Quick Overview exampled above, no longer shows, and so forth -- with every current Jump To topic showing the coding, well if there's HTML coding at all that is).

ThorstenE

this isn't a bug.. I belive the Title from your Board is "<u>Quick Overview</u>" ? remove the HTML-Tags from the Board title and everything should be fine...

CarpeDiem

I believe it is a bug!

Why doesn't it show when it is NOT the selected Jump To object?

I don't believe our HTML coding should show on the selected Jum- To line and that it can be excluded as it is on the non-selected Jump To's.  I have put underlining and italics on many of my board titles to help users focus, and the HTML display on the one selected Jump-To line should be eliminated.  It displays everywhere else as desired.

I don't believe I have to remove my HTML coding!  Formatting is traditional and it shouldn't show as code to the users of our forum anymore than the HTML of the webpage shows to our users!  It should ALL be behind the scenes.

Your solution is not a solution.  It makes the problem go away by ignoring the problem.  The selected Jump-To line is the problem (and no where else).  The selected Jump-To line should not display coding.  It should only display text like all the non-selected Jump-To lines DO (it can be done, as it is already being done on the non-selected lines -- and that's my point).

ThorstenE

it's not a solution but adding HTML to board titles (you can use this for the boards description but not the title) is only a workaround for styling.. this will surely cause other issues (ORDER by name isn't working)

you can easily edit the BoardIndex.template.php and add your HTML code
something like

if ($context['id_board'] == 2)
echo '<u>'

CarpeDiem

I need to emphasize (and I don't think you're listening to this) that the HTML is stripped from the non-current Jump-To titles; it only shows in whatever is the currently selected one.  THEREFORE, the program is already removing the display of the HTML code in the Jump-To table for all the titles that are not the current, SO why can't it do the same thing for the current one?  That's still my question that you simply do not address.

Unless you can tell me what the "other issues" are (as you call them) and what problems they will cause me in the operation of my forum, since it's MY forum that I'm talking about, I'll do it my way.  Please tell me what the issues are, rather than dangle a veiled warning as though there will be problems for me if I don't comply.  I'm a reasonable person, but you are not providing reasonable details, other than don't do it since I said so.  I attempt to be very careful in setting up my display so that some titles are emphasized to help my users see what's important, and using styling through variable HTML coding is an appropriate tool to provide variable emphasis in topics and descriptions (I taught desktop publishing in the public schools for many years and styling is an ordinary tool to emphasize words and titles in publications, and our forum is indeed a publication).  By variable emphasis, I mean some words may be bold, some underlined, some italicized, etc., but I don't mean ALL the words in bold, or ALL in underline, etc. -- but variable emphasis in a line of text according to emphatic need.  I'm afraid the example coding you gave in your last post would provide only constant emphasis and not variable, and I need variable to communicate to my users (my user's needs are my target here).  Again, there's an inconsistency in how SMF is displaying these Jump-To's according to which one is current (all the others have been parsed to not display the HTML coding in the Jump-To's, but the currently selected one displays it -- that's simply inconsistent).  I don't think my desire to provide emphasis to my users is inconsistent, I think this display issue is.

Ordering by name is something I hadn't considered and will consider since you mention it (I assume the HTML coding would enter into alphabetic sorting for sure, etc.); however, I don't want my users reorganizing the forum, since I have organized it in a manner that I believe will be appropriate for non-computer users to operate.

Again, why does the non-selected Jump-To's NOT display the HTML formatting that is actually there BUT only the currently selected one does.  If you select another topic, then it will display the formatting HTML on the new one, and the previous one will no longer show the HTML.  It's this movable disparity that seems like an error to me and you have not convinced me otherwise.  They should both work exactly alike:  either both show the HTML or both not -- and that's what I'm reporting.  This is an inconsistent operation in SMF's display of Jump-To's and that's usually considered an error report.

I beg to differ!  This seems clearly an error.

ThorstenE

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you.. This is indeed a "bug" and I'll track it to our bugtracker (this is simple to fix).
Nevertheless: adding HTML to the boards title isn't a good idea

example, Let's say you have this board names:
<s>Board1</s>
<u>Board2</u>
<span class="red">Board3</span>
<b>Board4</b>

The Board's name (including the HTML) is stored directly to the database., therefore it's impossible to order the boards by their names..

SELECT name from smf_boards ORDER by name;
try it yourself with phpMyAdmin and you'll see the result.

I would always recommend to modify the template or install a mod (like "Colorize Boards") instead.

karlbenson

TE has tracked this bug.
http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3565

We have already partially fixed this in the svn already for rc2 (when it is released) but the active option isn't being affected.

CarpeDiem

TE, thanks for seeing that this seems a bug.

RegularExpressions, too bad that the active display won't be adjusted like the non-active Jump-To displays.

Both of you, I use variable emphasis, like I said earlier, and this might look something like:

Note:  This is it (but don't worry)

The above is only an example, but notice there is bold on some portions, underline on other, and italics on some.  This is a way to visually grab the eye (as I said, I have a desktop publishing background and this is the way it is done in that field).  To use this post as an example, a static style would only allow this entire post to be all underlined, or all bold, or all italics, etc. -- and that logically defeats the entire purpose of styles, which is comparative emphasis!  The word "comparative" means that not everything has the same style, as that's what grabs the eye (the variations).

Also, yes, I know phpMyAdm will interpret the HTML coding as just alphabetic information in sorting, but I can see absolutely no need that I have to sort my fields in phpMyAdm, so the problem you're pointing out does not seem to have merit in my case (I'm not saying it doesn't have virtue for others, but in my case, serving the needs of my users is more important than my looking at a sorted alphabetized field name list in a database).

Again, I'm sorry to hear the active option isn't being affected, and I can't help but ask "Why isn't the active option being corrected?"  We shouldn't be showing code to the public, and I can't use the examples of styles which affect the entire display with only one style for everything (as I exampled above, I use variable style, not static style).

By the way, if something is being fixed BUT not the active display, just what is being fixed?  I don't understand.

karlbenson

You misunderstand

Currently in RC1-1 in the jumpto
- Current/Default Selected option shows html (This is a bug)
- All the other options also show html (This is a bug)

In the svn (for RC2 when it is released)
- Current/Default Selected option shows html (This is a bug and has not yet been fixed, BUT will be fixed for RC2)
- All the other options stripout html (This HAS already been fixed)

So it will be fixed.  It just hasn't been on yet. Obviously the active option part was missed when other parts were fixed.
That is why the bug is still showing as unresolved on the bug report

CarpeDiem

RegularExpression, thank you SO much for your post.

I feel I know what's going on now and I'll stop jumping up and down (thank goodness, it feels good to rest)!

karlbenson

I have updated the topic title and moved it to the bug reports area.

karlbenson

CarpeDiem

At last, I will rest easy, knowing the calvary is on the way (well, when RC2 arrives)!

Thank you, RegularExpression!

Advertisement: