How to verify if my sql Privileges are set correctly in WAMP

Started by Bruce the Shark, December 06, 2014, 04:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Um.... No.

I have WampServer running. It is set to online (because if it is not set to online, it is not working at all), and it is not publicly accessible.

This is so because of the router blocking all incoming connections but also because the default configuration should only be listening to requests from 127.0.0.1:80. External requests do not have that IP address.

Night09

You just access sites via localhost when offline. What im saying is even if he sets up offline using localhost if the servers turned online and made public its a risk to have no passwords.

Bruce the Shark

Nighty09 is correct i do have this set to off line and it is safe so no one can access the data base but i decided to uninstalled this program again and just to see if i could re enter the password from the beginning but now it appears the user name and password are being rejected and i am getting an error that reads 

( Critical Error:-
The installer was unable to access the "smf" database. With some host, you have to create the database administration panel before SMF can use it. Some also add prefix - like your username - to your database name )

Somehow something has gone terribly wrong.

I have placed all the SMF files back into the root directory wamp/www.
and tried following the on screen instruction but this error is now appearing, what a mess.

From my logical way of thinking ( which i dont have much logic any way ) i think it is asking me to set up my passwords for the data base before proceeding. hmmm? am i right?

Sorry i cant add no more comments to this as i am hopelessly lost. ( but i am having heaps of fun with this program )

Night09

Even reinstalled WAMP wont ask for any passwords so they will not be there as default. You cannot give SMF a database password at this point because it doesnt exist. The phpmyadmin is where you need to set the passwords after WAMP install and before SMF install.

If all is set then phpmyadmin wont let you access it again until you update my.ini in the sql settings (password is blank unless changed) then you will regain access. Once your happy that part is resolved then install SMF as normal and put your new password in then.

Im not really sure where your up to on this though so have tried to give a reasonable answer to the setup procedure.

Bruce the Shark

Not sure if i will word this correctly here  but before i re installing this program i went into the phpmyadmin and set up First the username and then proceeded to install this again.
I did these as followed
server name =localhost :3306
Username = root
Password ----- left blank
data base i left empty as well " i think unless there was something in it already"
so this proceeded to setup better than before.
However in another forum i was told it was not a good idea to place the files in the wamp/www directory but this is the only place i was able to re install the program and get it to work.
Not really sure what he meant by that,  however to sum this up, it is up and working locally on my pc but when it come to accessing it externally from an outside connection i can not.
I think this has something to do with my service provider blocking port 80....( they dont really allow you to run an home server not on that port anyway )
Or and i quote " unless i have placed the content in the wrong folder/ directroy  and possible this is why the program isnt showing "
I think i might try setting up and using another port or go back to using port 8080.

青山 素子

Quote from: Bruce the Shark on December 09, 2014, 01:46:16 PM
Not really sure what he meant by that,  however to sum this up, it is up and working locally on my pc but when it come to accessing it externally from an outside connection i can not.
I think this has something to do with my service provider blocking port 80....( they dont really allow you to run an home server not on that port anyway )
Or and i quote " unless i have placed the content in the wrong folder/ directroy  and possible this is why the program isnt showing "
I think i might try setting up and using another port or go back to using port 8080.

It is a very very bad idea to make an installation like that public. You're asking for your computer to be attacked. I encourage you to please not do this, as it's dangerous and if you don't know what you're doing you'll have problems. Judging by your questions, you don't know how to safely manage a server.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Deaks

Bruce I have marked this as solved as you havent came back to it in a month,the advice given should be adequate to answer your querry, if you need further help please update us.  Please remember this is only in regards to the original issue. :P
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: