News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Installing own zipped theme fails. Ftp directly works.

Started by Dani V, October 27, 2015, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dani V

Hi!

Have made my own theme. Works fine locally.
But when uploading as a zipped file to remote server, it says it's installed, but actually fails.
The problem is that random files won't write to the server.
Could be images that says they're there but actually not as they're on 0 bytes.
Could be text files (.css, .js or whatever) that acts the same way.
As I wrote, it's random. In one upload a file may right as it should. In next test it won't.
I'm on Mac and have tried both Mac's own zip compresser and Stuffit Archive Manager. Doesn't matter. Same problems.

However, when I upload the same files straight into the remote via ftp, it's all fine. Same when I simply move the files into position locally (without using SMF:s upload function).

I get a feeling it's something up with SMF:s unpacking ability. Anyone knows if there's an issue with zip files created on Mac?

Have also tried compressing in other formats but that doesn't work either.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Dani

Kindred

actually, this issue is usually due to a configuration issue with the server and possibly file permissions....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dani V

Quote from: Kindred on October 27, 2015, 09:49:34 AM
actually, this issue is usually due to a configuration issue with the server and possibly file permissions....
Thanks for respons!

I'm neither a network magician or a SMF guru, so chances are that I'm dead wrong. But I don't think it has anything to do with the server or file permissions.

Have unwrapped hundreds (thousands?) of zip files this way both locally and remotely without any problems at all. Also have correct permissions (and even checked file ownerships). I even tested CHMOD 0777 on all files/folders. Same disappointing result.

If it was a permission issue, I'm pretty sure that the same files would be affected every time I tried a new install of the theme, no? And I can upload and install other themes without problems (have tried 5-6 of them, downoaded from SMF repository).

But as I wrote, I'm far from an expert so I'm curious to learn more how the server and/or file permissions could cause this, and how to fix it...

Cheers,
Dani

Advertisement: