News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellion

it seems like no emails are being sent.

new registrations are not receiving emails either.

ThorstenE

try to switch between php and SMTP in Admin- Server-Settings - Feature Configuration

SleePy

What is the forums webmaster email set to?
Some hosts will require this be one from your domain and not a personal or external one.

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ellion

also package manager wont install any mods. telling me  the package directory or one of the files is not writable. the directory and all files have 777 permissions.

ThorstenE

Quote from: ellion on July 08, 2008, 01:43:43 AM
also package manager wont install any mods. telling me  the package directory or one of the files is not writable. the directory and all files have 777 permissions.
the cause may be a wrong path in package-manager-settings.. the path is the same you can see from an FTP-CLient .. something like /public_html/forum
it is not the full path from the server-settings (Example /home/www/user1/public_html/forum)

ellion

i have emails working changed it to smtp, that worked!

how do i find package manager settings?

ellion

packages are at public_html/packages/

and the path i provide for package manger when requested is public_html

ThorstenE

maybe it's only the missing slash  .. try /public_html

ellion

i dont know how to make the settings show. there does not seem to be any logical way to show the settings, they appear randomly when i request to change package options.

ellion

i can download packages via package manager to the Package directory.

when i browse packages i can connect to the package server and view packages that are available. when i click on install now i get the error message. [cannot download or install packages due to files/ directories not writable ]

when i go back to the browse pcakage panel the package has been downloaded to local package folder.

i am sure this means that the path and permissions are okay for writing to that directory.

ellion

i am not sure what is wrong but i have managed to install the login mod. although it is installed it has not worked. i managed to install an avatar pack just to check things where working and the avatars are displaying.  then package manager stopped working and giving the usual message [unwritable directories/files]

ThorstenE

goto Admin - Packages - Options
- try "cleanup permissions" - select All files are writable..
on the next page you have to enter your ftp-information. verify the correct user, password and path. hope it helps..

SleePy

Does adding a "temp" folder to the "Packages" folder in SMF help any? You would need to grant it full permissions
Sometimes permissions on the host are not setup in the best way and php and your FTP user can't work on the same files without the permissions allowing it.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ellion

Quote from: ThorstenE on July 08, 2008, 05:26:35 AM
goto Admin - Packages - Options
- try "cleanup permissions" - select All files are writable..
on the next page you have to enter your ftp-information. verify the correct user, password and path. hope it helps..

this doesnt work. i was playing with this yesterday.

so far i have figured out that if i log in as admin then go to packages and select a package to install, i can then add ftp information and the package will say it has installed. however there are a number of minor issues that equal a major problem.

1 when the packages are installed they dont work.
2 after installing a package the manager stops working. i have figured that if i log out and log back in as admin then package manager will let me install one package again. [the package just wont work]

now another problem not related to the above but very important for me.
sef url's dont work. there is a red note by the option saing apache only. but the server is apache.

ellion

Quote from: SleePy on July 08, 2008, 12:43:22 PM
Does adding a "temp" folder to the "Packages" folder in SMF help any? You would need to grant it full permissions
Sometimes permissions on the host are not setup in the best way and php and your FTP user can't work on the same files without the permissions allowing it.

i will create a directory named temp in packages directory and give it full permissions.

do i need to do anything else with it?

ellion

i have been thinking, (not always a good thing to be honest) i might try to reinstall the forum fresh and restore the database.

i am thinking that my problem might have been because of the way i set up the forum.

what i did was converted the forum in a subdomain of my original phpbb installation.

then when i had a succesful conversion in the subdomain, i installed another smf in the toplevel domain. then i restored the database into that domain. which gave me two forums on different domains using two different databases with the same content.

however the top level domain was only accessing the tables it had been set up to access.

so i still had the forum i want to use in the subdomain although ihad a database and tables for it in the toplevel domain.

i decided [in my infinite wisdom] to copy the files from subdomain to /domain. then run repair_settings.php

this indeed gave me a working forum as i wanted it. only with a trillion niggley errors.

now i am certain that my problems have something to do with this set up process.

if i back up the database. [actually already have done]

and delete the current installation from public_html

and make a clean installation and restore the database.

am i going to end up with the exact same forum with the exact same problems or will i have a spanky new forum with glitch free function and my old content and userbase?

SleePy

You might end up with the same problems. It depends really if thats how permissions are setup.

ellion

everything is working now.

there was some problem with how i had tranfered my forum. as once i had re-installed everything was fine. also had to add the temp folder to packages. but the first mod i tried said that there was an error with my temp folder. so i created a temp dir and give it full permissions.

the only problem now is getting the search engine friendly url's working.

SleePy

That would be a question I would suggest posting in the support boards :)
Please do a search though before you search, somebody else most likely has had the same issue/question and an answer may be present.

ellion

thanks SleePy, i will look look around the support areas.

Advertisement: