News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Error Log categories activation

Started by TourFL, January 07, 2013, 07:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TourFL

Hello everybody!

Would it be possible to select errors or categories of errors we don't want to log?

For example, I don't care when a member mistype his password, when a user tried to upload a picture too big, or when banned robots try to log every 5 seconds and gets a "you're banned" message. What I want to see in error logs ... is actual errors needing to be corrected!

My error log is "polluted" by those which are not errors and need constant cleaning. I wanted to install the mod to display the number of errors on top of the forum, but I realised it's not relevant, because of all those.

Not sure if it is a SMF feature request or mod request, but I hope something can be done  :D

Thanks!
If you like Fiat 500 and derived models, the SMF forum I'm helping with: www.500-126.com

emanuele

I remember another request similar to that.

It is/was in my plans to do a mod for 2.1 (since all the logging activity should pass through a single function).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Ban entries hitting the log can be turned off. Password errors is a bit different... if you get a large rash of hits for a single user, it might be someone trying to break into an account.

The other errors are generally indicative of things you should fix anyway. I don't really see this changing much in 2.1 though.

TourFL

I agree with this. But in that case, logging only after 3 failed trials would be more relevant.

I get about 20 entries of mistyped passwords per day, and I my forum is not that big ...
For ban, it's already logged in the ban log. For picture too bigs, I cannot do anything.
If you like Fiat 500 and derived models, the SMF forum I'm helping with: www.500-126.com

Arantor

The problem with logging only for the first three, is that you have to go figure it out, which is not an easy thing to do.

As I said, in 2.1 you can turn off the ban items hitting the error log.

As for picture too big, there's no good way around that one.

Advertisement: