News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Non-Error Glitch With Who's Online

Started by Eldougie, December 31, 2009, 04:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldougie

I have a little annoyance on my site.  I'm using SMF 1.1.11 and MKPortal M11 Final.  The Who's Online on the main board shows everone that is online just fine, however, when I click to see where the users are browsing, it doesn't update right away (it shows no one online), until after a refresh the page once or twice, then it does.  Sometimes if I keep refreshing the page, users will disappear and re-appear from it.  Not getting any errors on my site, just seems that it doesn't update the Who's Online page immediately (without some help).  I've searched these forums to see if there's anything similar to the problem I'm having, but no such luck.  Everything else on my site seems to be running great.  Could there be a setting somewhere that could possibly correct this?  I just updated my forums to SMF 1.1.11 (from 1.1.1) last night hoping this might solve it, but it still does the same thing.  It does the same thing whether I click on Users Online from the main board index, or use the Last Click feature (same link) in the MKP blocks (note, the MKP users online block shows everyone online correctly).  I tried taking my board out of MKP (my forums are viewed inside the portal), to see if this made and difference, but still does the same thing.  This is more of an annoyance than a problem, but I would like to fix this if possible.  If not, no big deal, this is something I can live with.

Thanks in advance.

Eldougie.....

Eldougie

Think I figured it out.  It seems the problem is within MKPortal.  There is a few second delay for the users to register when switching between the portal home page and the forums.  If I stay in the forums, it registers right away.  There must be a lag between MKP and the forums somewhere.  Have to look into it further.  For now, gonna mark this as solved.

Arantor

It doesn't update the who's online data every single page load, by the way. There are limits on how quickly it updates it to prevent the server being flooded with unnecessary queries.

Eldougie

Thanks Arantor.  I figured it might be something like that.  It seems more likely to happen when switching between the main MKP home page and the forums view, though if you give it a few seconds, and refresh, it finally shows who's on, and what they are doing.  If I'm already in the forum view, it seems to update more quickly, and shows who's online.  It is not as pronounced after the forums update to 1.1.11, but only happens now as mentioned above (last click on the main MKP page blocks).  Must be some lag between MKP and SMF.  Anyways, unless it starts causing errors (which I have not yet seen), it's something I can live with.

Thanks for your help.

Eldougie.....

Eldougie

I know this one is marked solved already, but here is an update to the glitch I am having.  Figured out that the Who's Online list only shows those users that are in the SMF board only.  It won't show any users that are on the main MKP home page, in the image gallery, shoutbox, chat room, etc...  Unfortunately, the MKP forums is closed for tech support, so there is no support from MKP for this glitch.

Advertisement: