SFTP support.

Started by Colask8, February 01, 2012, 09:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colask8

Hi,
I have problem with installing packages in smf, i have searched forums and tried averything, setting permissions to 777 and making temp folder, tried setting smf to go to sftp:// and wrote port: 22 but no luck. If anyone can provide DETAILED process how to install packages.

Illori

smf does not support sftp, you would need to manually set your file/folder permissions using your ftp client or ssh etc then do the install.

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Colask8

I cannot install package through admin cp, so i need to install manually? argh :S It still asks me for ftp :(

Illori

that is because your file/folder permissions dont allow the package to be uploaded correctly, check them again.

Colask8

My whole folder is set to 777...

Illori

what "whole" folder? did you check EACH folder?

Colask8

whole public html folder, tho packages are being uploaded successfully, but when i click on install mod it asks for ftp.
yep, i checked all folders, even files.  and btw which permissions should i set, 777? cuz 755 didnt work for uploading so i made 777, but im insecure in 777.

Illori

then check your file permissions to make sure they can written to by the server. also verify that there is a backup folder in the packages folder and the server can write to that.

Colask8

checked, im setting permissions again to see if i forgot to check 'apply permissions to subfolders and files'. I'll let you know when its finished. Also tell me if using 777 is secure?

Illori

that depends on your server configuration, but it should be on most.

Why chmod 777 is NOT a security risk

Colask8

Sorry about double post, just wanted it to pop out so you see it did work out. Thank you! =]

LiroyvH

Did you read the link in her post?
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

MrPhil

If 755 doesn't work, try 775. Don't do 777 unless that's the only thing that works. Contrary to what some people think, 777 may be world writable by other users sharing your server (if not by those coming in on a browser). Therefore, 777 should only be used as a last resort. Your host may also have security software (e.g., suPHP) that denies access to directories modded 777 (as well as files 666).

LiroyvH

suPHP will actually not deny access to a folder with 777, it will simply deny executing PHP scripts within it to the world. However, it will access material in there just fine, if you would move your Settings.php to a seperated folder that has permission 777, suPHP wont give you any problems when loading the index.php from a folder that is not 777.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: