Don't Call Yourself An Administrator of a Forum Site

Started by humbleworld, January 16, 2008, 08:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleworld

Here's one tip I'd like to share for those who've just started a forum site.

Your default membergroup is Administrator. Now change it to something else that won't sound bossy or superior. Think of a funny or friendly term as an alternative.

In this way, your newbie members would feel that you're justpart of the whole online crowd.

gr4m4j0

eXecuT

Not much good. I think in place to change your rank you must work like a user; I meant just to post a bit more than others and to talk with them.
Visit = | www.pc-kopatiz.com |

humbleworld

But if your site is packed with technical topics, an admin name may be useful for showing sort of considerable authority.

eXecuT

Yep. that is one of the Administration Solutions, but Moderators may be more helpful for that issue.
Visit = | www.pc-kopatiz.com |

Jorin

I have two accounts: Global moderator for the work of the day, and the admin account if I need to get in the admin control panel. With the admin account I only posted some very important things, normally this account is "inactive".

Noddegamra

in a way though its good to show the admin is on the site often. if it seems the admin is inactive it could make the site look like its dead at the top, possibly implying it wont be updated or upgraded on a regular basis.

Jorin

That's not a problem. We have 3 global moderators and 3 board moderators, and everyone is a few hours a day in the forum.  ;)

LadyAkasha

Quote from: Noddegamra on January 25, 2008, 07:12:47 AM
in a way though its good to show the admin is on the site often. if it seems the admin is inactive it could make the site look like its dead at the top, possibly implying it wont be updated or upgraded on a regular basis.

I agree with this.
It is very important that the admin looks active on the forums.
A inactive admin is a inactive forum.
And I think its important to call yourself administrator or something like that.
Why? When your forum is very big, a lot of new users can't see who is the admin when you have a rank that not link to your admin-status.
The rank administrator is not to look like bossy, but to make clear who lead the forum and where the users can go for help.

Dragooon

I have me as a admin in the "additional" groups, not the primary ones. So I am kind off "Hidden" admin, Although I did this for avoiding PMs and it works :P

Gargoyle

I just have myself as hidden all the time,

There are 5 of us that help run the site we are all called "Directors" regardless of power and authority the same title shows up.

This way the members see no hierarchy or the buck stops here type of user. We simply "direct" the forum AND website parts to a common goal.

It works well. After the last 4 almost 5 years we have only had to ban 4 people and there was never any conflict over it from any of our members.

Just to clarify it is a club site and the 5 people listed as Directors on the site also Direct the club and events. Administrator has always ben a term we shy away from. We would much prefer Nazi to Admin. LOL!!

STS

I go back and forth on this one. Maybe it is community dependent, too (in regards to what kind of community you have and what the climate of your forum is. Although... it is hard to know that when you're just starting out ;)

DWR

I agree with this (the original tip). I feel like Administrator does indeed sound a bit on the pompous side, and I had changed mine to Originator... all that says is "the dude who started the forum", which is good (interesting) for the users to know in most cases.

I also removed the stars, and removed all "member levels". I thought I would prefer not to have any degree of motivation based on getting or being on a "superior" level.

PacificWx

we have "ForumLord" as our Administrator title, then a Global Moderator, then Forum Leaders (local moderators)

Advertisement: