News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Disable Right Click (v4.0 Released!)

Started by Chas Large, May 07, 2008, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davegior

Thanks Chas, subs.php has been attached....

Chas Large

In between my post and yours I've confirmed this bug. The code is correct so I can't work out at the moment why this error is occurring. Similar code is used elsewhere with no errors.

My best guess is that it's to do with Guests permissions. I need to consult with a colleague before I can come up with a fix.

Having said all that, it won't stop the forum running correctly, you error log will just fill up a bit when guests try to right click. Other than space in your error log being taken up there should be no further impact.

I'll post a fix just as soon as I'm able.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

davegior

I was about to uninstall version 4.10 and install the latest version but received many Test failed and skip file errors.
I am reluctant to uninstall it. I have attached the error image.

Matthew K.

Most likely mods are conflicting since you installed it. You could manually uninstall it.

Venera

Hi,

if I try to right click as a gust in error log is:

http://www.***.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1080;type=avatar8: Undefined index: html_headersDatoteka: /home/***/public_html/Sources/Subs.php
Linija: 4586

I have Simple Portal and some avatars in blocks. Avatars make problems...

XHIBIT911

This does not work for PortaMx. The enable button doesnt show anywhere...Does anyone have a workaround because Im uninstalling this its not helping at all

Chas Large

Quote from: XHIBIT911 on July 23, 2012, 04:08:00 PM
This does not work for PortaMx. The enable button doesnt show anywhere...Does anyone have a workaround because Im uninstalling this its not helping at all
Sorry, never used that mod and my mod was only designed to work with the basic SMF software.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

נєяιкσ σиє

Hi all!

With firefox 14 there is the possibility to block the right click pop up message and then the right click works again.

Can you fix it?

Chas Large

Quote from: Jeriko_One on August 23, 2012, 03:43:18 AM
Hi all!

With firefox 14 there is the possibility to block the right click pop up message and then the right click works again.

Can you fix it?

I'll see what I can do. Can you tell me how you block the pop-up in FF 14?

Tatek

Please, where I should go to define a options of this mod, because there's nowhere visible, even it shows that is normally installed... where I should look to arrange options?? Thanx!!

Chas Large

There are no options, when installed the RIGHT CLICK of the mouse does not work but you have to set the permission in members permissions.

[EDIT] My Bad, sorry.

The options are in Admin > Configuration > Miscellaneous.

Arantor

Quote from: Chas Large on August 23, 2012, 03:49:11 AM

The same way other users will: after a popup, the browser will ask if you want to suppress further popups from the site. And the script has no control over that happening.

Arantor

Well... Chrome (for YEARS) has given users the option to disable popups after the first one. I thought last time I used Firefox that it had the same option, without any add-ons being required (since I've never used that add-on)

Hristo

It's same with Firefox, but there is an option to block the right click without pop-up showing, and that addon works in these (and all other) cases.

Arantor

It's entirely futile, of course since I can bypass it without a plugin ;)

dimspace

Quote from: Arantor on March 27, 2013, 03:53:44 PM
Quote from: Chas Large on August 23, 2012, 03:49:11 AM

The same way other users will: after a popup, the browser will ask if you want to suppress further popups from the site. And the script has no control over that happening.

Most of the time opera doesnt even bother telling me about pop ups its blocked :S depends on its mood..

Saying that, not sure why im in here. Never understood no-right click scripts. One, they are easily disabled, they are intrusive, and they achieve nothing. Its like these sites that say they can protect your photos from theft.. they cant.. :D

Arantor

Ah, but there's a difference between a popup and an alert. A popup is a JS-created window, this notification is not.

QuoteOne, they are easily disabled, they are intrusive, and they achieve nothing. Its like these sites that say they can protect your photos from theft.. they cant..

Bingo. You show me a site that has them, I'll show you that it can be bypassed either modestly or very easily.

Hristo

Indeed, they are annoying and nothing more. And in this exact case, frankly I can't see what benefit can be achieved if such function is used on a forum. I see much more potential harm than good.

dimspace

Quote from: Arantor on March 27, 2013, 08:18:34 PM
Ah, but there's a difference between a popup and an alert. A popup is a JS-created window, this notification is not.

QuoteOne, they are easily disabled, they are intrusive, and they achieve nothing. Its like these sites that say they can protect your photos from theft.. they cant..

Bingo. You show me a site that has them, I'll show you that it can be bypassed either modestly or very easily.

I did actually spend a few hours one bored winters afternoon, visiting sites that said they could protect your images, for anything up to about $200 and "stealing" their demo images just to make a point. Most of those sites thankfully have now gone.

Besides, microsoft made it easy from windows 7 with the snipping tool.

Advertisement: