News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragaCampos

Hello there.

I've been using this mod for 3 years now, and some days ago the mod stopped accepting registrations automatically. I have to accept registrations "manually". The only thing that I've hanged was the SMF version upgrade to 2.0.7...
This is what I get. Is anyone having this problem?

Kindred

nope...   I have it running on 2.0.7 and 2.0.6 running correctly
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

busterone

What version of this mod are you using? There are two possibilities. There was what was known as the "yellow bug" in the older versions, discussed here
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=283309.msg2995908#msg2995908
If you are using the latest version and you are getting the yellow icons, then you may have been losing contact to the stop forum spam website. The yellow icon is designating that there was no connection and that the applicant was not checked.

Waht setting do you have set for your forum in  Admin/members/registration/settings/  near the bottom of the page ?
If the Connection Fail with Anti SPAM DB...

FragaCampos

Thank you for your answers.

I do have the latest version of the mod installed.
I think the only plausible explanation is that I indeed lost the connection with the forum spam website... I don't have a clue why nor how, though.
The option I have is set to "Approve and show yellow icon to check later", like I set it years ago when the mod was installed.
Maybe something changed on server's side?

busterone

Not that I know of, but I can't guarantee that. I log on at SFS's forum at least once a day, and there have been no support topics on this that I can recall.  I am running the same mod on 2.0.7 with no issues whatsoever, as Kindred stated in his post earlier for his sites.  Have you made any other changes besides the update to 2.0.7?
As far as I can remember, this mod doesn't need an API to simply check new registrations, but to be safe, do you have one?  Ped has made some recent changes to the SFS search function on the site. It may require an API to search more than just a few per day now.  I can't say for certain until I check with him though.

FragaCampos

I do have an API key, requested at the time of the installation.
I didn't change anything besides the update. I have cloudflare installed. Maybe it has something to do with that, I really don't know.
I'll keep searching and testing to see what's going on here. :P

busterone

I am willing to bet money on Cloudflare myself.

Kindred

The question is, why do you use cloud flare?

It has no significant benefit to any forum site that I have ever seen and results in many potential issues.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FragaCampos

Actually, I deactivated cloudflare for two days and the problem persists. I'll have to test more...

Kindred, I already explained to you why I use cloudflare in here. I solved the ip problem with this:
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170836-How-do-I-restore-original-visitor-IP-to-Apache-Web-Servers-

Maybe something changed at the server. I'll ask to deactivate this mod and see how it goes.

MoreBloodWine

This mod works great on 2.0.x but apparently had ceased to work the way it use to. It seems the stopforumspam site has enabled a 10s lookup or something due to abuse / ddos on their system or some crap. That said, it's now a lot harder to check members that make it through the reg process. At one point I was just banning them so I know a few names I need to remove. Weirdly enough, when I ran a check on a single name that was previously banned, it didnt highlight red, so now for the names that were prev banned that I cannot remember. I have to go one by one on IP, email etc to make sure everything from head to toe is checked.

So if your still following me, I was wondering if someone might do a overhaul on this mod to get it working again and play nice with whatever checks and balances the stopforumspam site added.

I know one of their deals was making sure mods use the API and not search function. Not sure what method of search this mod uses but I really like it and need it to work again like it use to.

As for my ver number, it just says 1.0
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

DarkAngel612

I just went there and what they have done is limit the API registrations to members of the forum only...you will see that message if not logged in also.

I have it installed and even with the latest 2.0.7 update it appears to work as it has always done. Maye it did not highlight as red because it is banned already so it is not recognized as a "new" spammer to your forum.

Or if you have installed any new mod, maybe it messed things up as well??
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on March 01, 2014, 05:29:44 PM
I just went there and what they have done is limit the API registrations to members of the forum only...you will see that message if not logged in also.

I have it installed and even with the latest 2.0.7 update it appears to work as it has always done. Maye it did not highlight as red because it is banned already so it is not recognized as a "new" spammer to your forum.

Or if you have installed any new mod, maybe it messed things up as well??
Well as of right now I'm backing everything out and redoing all the mods... just gonna be a bit time consuming is all.
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

PopUpSteve

I know that SFS had a database outage on Mar 1st - 2nd sometime between 9pm to 2am Eastern time. But when that happens newly checked registrants come back in yellow. I don't know if this was because of a DOS attack or maintenance on the database but it seems to happen every other month or so. Other then that, SMS has and the mod have worked just fine for us and we are on SMF 2.0.7.
Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

AZMazda3

I just installed this on 2.0.7 and it appears to be working. I had to do only one manual edit. However, many of the features pictured on the mod's page are not visible. It could be that our site is having issues at the moment and the server just isn't loading the info but I was curious if anyone else running this on 2.0.7 was missing the icons?

PopUpSteve

To which icons are you referring? We are running 2.0.7 but we originally loaded this mod several SMF versions ago.
Steve

AZMazda3

Quote from: PopUpSteve on March 04, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
To which icons are you referring? We are running 2.0.7 but we originally loaded this mod several SMF versions ago.

Specifically, in the members list. I went through the list, and I doubt there are zero spammers in there. No spyglass icons, no nothing.

AZMazda3

Nevermind....I just realized it was the other SFS mod we installed.  ::)

PopUpSteve

So all you are seeing is the blue icon when you view all members in "Manage Members" in the Admin area. OK, you need to check all the members on that page and then click "Check These Members" at the bottom right of the list. That will submit those members to SFS and return their status. If any have been tagged as spammers, then you will get some icons. You'll have to page through your entire member list to check them all.
Steve

IMSassafras

I am having the same problem with my icons not turning colors.  I check SFS and the people I report are listed, so that part of the mod is working.  It doesn't have anything to do with a previous ban on my forum, either.

Are there any fixes?  A mod update would be preferable.

~Sass

I have 2.0.7, BTW.
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. ~ Bahá'u'lláh

busterone

what color are your icons? If yellow, then there is a connection issue to the SFS database.  What happens if you manually randomly pick a member to check? Does it appear to connect and check, or does the icon turn yellow?

Advertisement: