An RPG Forum in SMF

Started by worthog, February 21, 2008, 01:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worthog

Hey, I'm kinda going off on a tangent here, but I am dissecting the rollgen/RPG.php mod and I have a question:  I see that the dice roller form just creates a string that you paste into the body of your post.  The "rollgen" function appears to be called when you finally Post on the board.  That function is declared in RPG.php, so is any function declared in a *.php file in Sources automagically available when Post.php is run?

worthog

OK, I figured out the include_once statement in Post.php that calls RPG.php.  That must be when the functions in RPG.php are compiled.

godsdead

Make sure, you can have like a second "avatar" system, where the character can be selected, and viewed like teh current avatar system.
and have "clans" or some form of gangs =]
Anti Chav [nofollow]

worthog

Umm...  That's not really the framework I have in mind.  And this is initially just for me and some friends, not a MMORPG.

die4me

some people think a rpg and roleplaying are the same but not the one i want either

improv

This sounds great!

I hope it continues and gets finished.
So far I'll be just curious ;)

Gary

Quote from: die4me on February 28, 2008, 12:28:48 AM
some people think a rpg and roleplaying are the same but not the one i want either

And why would people think that. RPG does mean "Role Playing Game" after all. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Kindred

I think the point is that the computer geeks have stolen the term that used to refer to paper and pencil "pretend" to describe their online games.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

die4me

i always mean mmorpg for rpgs not roleplaying at all i mean who needs a mod for roleplaying

Kindred

Actually, for a play-by-post game, I can see a decent use for an RPG (ala role-playing) addition...

personally, I find mmorpgs incredibly boring.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Neorics

Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2008, 05:56:43 PM
personally, I find mmorpgs incredibly boring.

you're meant to play it with friends ^^

and RPG does not stand for Role Playing... it stands for Rocket, Paper, GuttlingGun i mean Role Playing Game/s

you don't call normal role playing RPG, you don't call an actor an RPG... etc

RPG is for a 1 player RPG like offline games

MMORPG are any RPG that can be played by 2 or more players at the same time and they can interact with each other, hence with the requirements that the game they are playing is an acutal RPG

you can get MMOFPS as well...
[For Hire] I can help you with anything regarding Simple Machines Forum  ~ My Portfolio

Kindred

RPG, to me means paper and pencil/dice games like D&D.
LARP or LRPG is mroe fun... interactive theatre or boffer combat.

mmorpg is boring (to me). lol
Слaва
Украинi

die4me

yeah rpg means to mean like a game like Final fantasy or some other single player games and mmorpgs are fun because you have many players playing against  or with people.
A paper pencil, dice, game is what i call board games or bore games lol.
People need to stop thinking rpgs are role playing just because they are role playing games.
Role playing is you making up a character and other people interacting with there made up character.
A Role playing game(rpg) is you are playing a character that you didn't make up but you can develope how you want to. Also there is no interaction with other players.

worthog

Quote from: die4me on March 08, 2008, 11:15:53 PM
yeah rpg means to mean like a game like Final fantasy or some other single player games and mmorpgs are fun because you have many players playing against  or with people.
People need to stop thinking rpgs are role playing just because they are role playing games.
Role playing is you making up a character and other people interacting with there made up character.
A Role playing game(rpg) is you are playing a character that you didn't make up but you can develope how you want to. Also there is no interaction with other players.
Wha?!?  I'm sorry, RPG stands for Role Playing Game--where you PLAY a ROLE in a GAME as another person.  That's it.  It is such a broad description, that it covers lots of types of gaming.  Whether that is a pen-and-paper "classic" RPG like D&D, or a modern MMORPG played online.  Some people prefer the former, some the latter.  Neither is "better" than the other.

Neorics

Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2008, 08:26:58 PM
RPG, to me means paper and pencil/dice games like D&D.
LARP or LRPG is mroe fun... interactive theatre or boffer combat.

mmorpg is boring (to me). lol

yah that's why we're trying to correct you and what you think

Exactly!

Quote from: worthog on March 09, 2008, 03:05:51 AM
Wha?!?  I'm sorry, RPG stands for Role Playing Game--where you PLAY a ROLE in a GAME as another person.  That's it.  It is such a broad description, that it covers lots of types of gaming.  Whether that is a pen-and-paper "classic" RPG like D&D, or a modern MMORPG played online.  Some people prefer the former, some the latter.  Neither is "better" than the other.

Exactly!

You two just said the same thing as I did...
[For Hire] I can help you with anything regarding Simple Machines Forum  ~ My Portfolio

Kindred

tis is getting way off topic.....

but have you ever LARPed?  You'll never think of computer rpgs as "interactive" after that. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Dragooon

worthog

When I was a kid and we were heavy into D&D, we screwed around in the woods with wooden swords and shields and stuff, but never organized it into a full-blown LARP game.  And I think I'm too old to want to be doing it now! :D

Neorics

Quote from: Kindred on March 09, 2008, 08:30:16 AM
tis is getting way off topic.....

but have you ever LARPed?  You'll never think of computer rpgs as "interactive" after that. :P

nope, sorry i'm not that old...

what is it?

worthog

LARP = Live Action Role Playing.  Kinda like being at a Renaissance festival or Star Trek convention, except there are rules and combat and some dice actually get rolled, I believe.  Kindred, can you expand on that?  (This is WAY OT :p)

Advertisement: