Read †he Support Docs for the Upgrade to RC2

Started by appleid, November 10, 2009, 09:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appleid

I ma no expert at programming so I don't understand all the verbiage. I am running SMF 1.1.10. It is really wonderful. I want to upgrade to RC2Public. For me this will not be easy as I have no idea what the support link is all about.

As you are putting this out here I think it would be nice to have a reference for those of us who can upload but have no idea what you are talking about in your support docs. I know this sounds lame, as you are the brains, but I haven't the time to learn all this stuff. I just want to have a forum to speak with my peers. I guess I'll stay with 1.1.10 for now.

Not a criticism of your wonderful developers. Just a heart felt suggestion that adds more work for our needle brained understanding of codes etc.

I am sure that this has been said before but I have no time to learn the skeleton of your forum software. I am working with what I have to do everyday. Just a thought for what it's worth.

hadesflames

Upgrading is really simple, you just download the Large Upgrade file from the downloads section. Once the download is complete you can unzip the contents, and upload them to your install directory, replacing the old files. Once you have done that point you browser to www.yoursite.com/smf/upgrade.php (or wherever your smf install is located). From there on you can follow on screen instructions to get your forums upgrade =]

Don't forget to always make a back up before making changes to your site, specially an upgrade such as this. Also please note that upgrading to smf 2.0 RC2 will uninstall all of your mods.

appleid

Thanks for the help. I look at most of the background moves that are recommended as trying to pick one certain strand of spaghetti out of a bowl. I have done this before but not recently so I forget the process. What you said is what I have done in the past. Again, thank you for simplifying the process.

hadesflames

Glad I could be of some help, if this topic is solved you should mark it solved by clicking on the "mark topic solved" button at the lower left hand corner of this page, just above the quick reply area.

Advertisement: