News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziycon

Quote from: xxxnewbiexxx on January 10, 2010, 01:18:14 PM
I would like to know if this mod will really improve the SEO of my forum ?
It will make your links much more friendlier and nicer for search engine crawlers which should help your site and it helps for keyword searches in some search engines.

Leandro Saldanha

Quote from: ziycon on January 10, 2010, 01:23:12 PM
It will make your links much more friendlier and nicer for search engine crawlers which should help your site and it helps for keyword searches in some search engines.

Thanks for your quick reply !

Just one more thing, how my pages will be indexed by search engines ? is it gonna be indexed the way it shows in the browser ?

ziycon

Quote from: xxxnewbiexxx on January 10, 2010, 01:46:06 PM
Quote from: ziycon on January 10, 2010, 01:23:12 PM

Thanks for your quick reply !

Just one more thing, how my pages will be indexed by search engines ? is it gonna be indexed the way it shows in the browser ?
It all depends on your site content and if the crawler likes your site/pages/links etc. I would recommend you do a quick search for SEO tips, there is loads of information out there that should answer all you want to know.

rd

Quote from: Kcmartz on January 09, 2010, 06:53:27 PM
mohd7590

The quote in your signature, it is from my site! the "SITE RULES" tab! Could you please remove that? Thanks!

And my problem still hasn't ben solved...

It is? My bad... I was just looking at random websites and I was checking the site out when I noticed the huge "Site Rules"(In Capitals). I couldn't help it and I clicked it... I was really taken aback. It was kinda funny, but I realized I did the same thing in my site when I was 15. I did that for a month before I realized that it wouldn't work out.

Anyway, before I go off topic. I use this modification in one of my forums: xadro.net
Check it out if you want a demo of sorts. 

KensonPlays

Ok. I am 16, so I am not quite over it i guess...

But feel free to join! it is a general discussion forum with other linked SMF forums, geek-talk.kcmartz.com, sfd.kcmartz.com, and more later!!

Taking a look at your link...

EDIT:
mohd, how long did it take to get over 2.000 members and how did you do it? Please email me! (next to me, envelope button) and I will join your site!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Boby_

I've just tried the mod... It looks pretty but it does some not so pretty things to the Cyrillic characters.  :D
I hope that in the near future there will be an update of this otherwise nice mod to support Cyrillic letters - it is otherwise not useful at all for my forum.  ::) :'(

Oldiesmann

I am getting a lot of errors like this in my error log:

http://www.archiefans.com/index.php?pretty;board=feedbacksupport;topic=after-the-upgrade-to-do-list-new-features.0
8: Undefined index: can_approve_posts
File: /.../Themes/default/Display.template.php
Line: 780

This happens for both users and guests, everytime someone views a topic.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

gietl

Dang, I had 0.8.4 and removed it and installed 1.0RC. Works fine for the forums, but I use SimplePortal and now it mucks the root url of / which should just go back to the domain.

So the URL with the old version of / would just go to www.rmcb5.com with 1.0RC it puts in /forums//

EDIT: Forgot to add, using SMF 1.1.11 and SimplePortal 2.3.1

gietl

One more thing, if I do Run Maintenance Tasks, it fixes that URL problem immediately. However, as soon as I start clicking around again it returns.

rd

I emailed you. Contact me if you have any questions, I'm 15 by tge way.. My birthday this month :D

Quote from: Kcmartz on January 11, 2010, 01:29:12 AM
Ok. I am 16, so I am not quite over it i guess...

But feel free to join! it is a general discussion forum with other linked SMF forums, geek-talk.kcmartz.com, sfd.kcmartz.com, and more later!!

Taking a look at your link...

EDIT:
mohd, how long did it take to get over 2.000 members and how did you do it? Please email me! (next to me, envelope button) and I will join your site!

gietl

I went back to 0.8.4 because it works. In 1.0RC I noticed in .htaccess it sets a base path of something like /forums/ and that seems to be my issue both with using simpleportal and Gallery2 integration. Not to mention it always overwrites any other entries in .htaccess.

Still one of the best mods out there, keep working at it!

massdog.com

Özgür

So Long

Dannii

bjraines, sorry I haven't had the time to look yet, but I will.

Kcmartz & mohd7590, please take your discussions somewhere else, this isn't the place for it sorry.

ziycon, it should work fine with SSI.php. Are you having problems?

xxxnewbiexxx, it might, it might not. If you have incoming links with the link itself as the link text I think it will help. But mostly use it cause it's pretty and people-friendly!

Boby_, you can add extra characters to your Subs-PrettyUrls.php if you want.

Oldiesmann, I don't think that's related to this mod.

gietl, I don't see the problem you're describing. Oh that's cause you went back. I suggest you go to 1.0RC again. It will stop overwriting your changes to .htaccess if you put them outside the PRETTY URLS section.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

ziycon

Its outputting the forums default link for SSI.php, you can view it at http://www.bumpzinthenite.com, on the right and the bottom.

gietl

Quote from: Dannii on January 12, 2010, 09:12:09 PM
gietl, I don't see the problem you're describing. Oh that's cause you went back. I suggest you go to 1.0RC again. It will stop overwriting your changes to .htaccess if you put them outside the PRETTY URLS section.

The least of the problems was the .htaccess being overwritten, and the rewrites that were in there were in their own block outside of the pretty urls block. The larger issue for me is it FORCING the /forums/ on every URL. Most folks install forums under /forum or /forums. However, havign a start page or a portal means you have content at just /. If pretty urls is always forcing /forums/ into each url you can't easily get back to /. I hope that makes some sort of sense.

I still greatly appreciate the mod and would love to use a more current version. I can deal with the htaccess parts, that's not huge, but the bad URLs for / are.

Boby_

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Boby_

Quote from: Boby_ on January 13, 2010, 01:10:57 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

I added the Cyrillic letters to Subs-PrettyUrls.php. Now the topics are converted nicely but the boards conversion is still not OK. Is there a different source for the conversion of the boards names?

Dannii

bjraines, are you still having problems?

ziycon, well that's weird. Try adding this after where you include SSI.php: ob_start('ob_sessrewrite');

gietl, can't you just move the forum to the root folder?

Boby_, you can edit the board URLs in the modify boards admin page.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Joker™

Quotefirst of all g8 mod  :)

i just had a problem that before installing it ....

if i was in a topic as a guest n then login the site will send me back to topic , but

after installing pretty url site is sending me to main page ....

can u suggest any solution for it

danii bro plz have a look at my problem also

i almost forgot my this request......today some members of my forum starts buzzing me for this problem

i dont wanna uninstall the mod .... but the there is problem for members also ..... plz do look into this ...

n i hope i might get a solution
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Advertisement: