News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catboating

No just: http://www.cockatooforums.com/ [nofollow]

although earlier today I did have a directory named forum that would also access the forum. I deleted it though.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Stigmartyr on July 21, 2010, 10:47:22 AM
Hello Folks!  I just installed this awesome mod today.  Seems to be working like a champ.  There is only one issue.  It seems when the bread crumb is rendered that it will output in text "��" where it should be a break between items like "/" before?

Here is a link to see what I mean: http://stangnation.com/open-frequency/test-drive-2011-mustang-gt-5-0/

What happened and/or how can I fix? :)

I fixed my own issue.  Turns out the theme's index.template.php had some corrupted characters from editing it in the cpanel web interface.  I scrolled to the linktree section of the code and found it.

However I am facing ANOTHER issue with the Facebook Like Mod.  It used to be able to get it to print the entire post title to facebook when someone liked a topic.  Now, it can't parse the thread title :( It just says: 'so and so' likes <website name>

I noticed that the url it's serving is like this too: http://stangnation.com/index.php?topic=10359layout%3D%22standard%22

It seems to append layout%3D%22standard%22 to the end of the topic ID and it's not able to parse whatever pretty url is dishing out?

I'm looking into it on the url mod side but I am kind of stabbing in the dark here.  I pondered whether this was part of the .htaccess modifications or not.

You can see my facebook activity block here: http://stangnation.com (lower left hand corner)

All your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

ukhalik2

Quote from: ukhalik2 on July 20, 2010, 10:28:08 AM
Quote from: vbgamer45 on July 20, 2010, 12:21:04 AM
Check permissions
And disable mod_security if enabled
admins have all permissions.

where to check mod_security?
bump, my problem is still unsolved.. i cant even edit my profile :(
all users have problem!

vbgamer45

Contact your host to disable mod_security for your site.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Stigmartyr on July 21, 2010, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: Stigmartyr on July 21, 2010, 10:47:22 AM
Hello Folks!  I just installed this awesome mod today.  Seems to be working like a champ.  There is only one issue.  It seems when the bread crumb is rendered that it will output in text "��" where it should be a break between items like "/" before?

Here is a link to see what I mean: http://stangnation.com/open-frequency/test-drive-2011-mustang-gt-5-0/

What happened and/or how can I fix? :)

I fixed my own issue.  Turns out the theme's index.template.php had some corrupted characters from editing it in the cpanel web interface.  I scrolled to the linktree section of the code and found it.

However I am facing ANOTHER issue with the Facebook Like Mod.  It used to be able to get it to print the entire post title to facebook when someone liked a topic.  Now, it can't parse the thread title :( It just says: 'so and so' likes <website name>

I noticed that the url it's serving is like this too: http://stangnation.com/index.php?topic=10359layout%3D%22standard%22

It seems to append layout%3D%22standard%22 to the end of the topic ID and it's not able to parse whatever pretty url is dishing out?

I'm looking into it on the url mod side but I am kind of stabbing in the dark here.  I pondered whether this was part of the .htaccess modifications or not.

You can see my facebook activity block here: http://stangnation.com (lower left hand corner)

All your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

re: issues with Pretty URL and Facebook like mod.  I believe if someone who knows how the Pretty URL is calling the topic we can resolve the issue.

Here is the Facebook Like button code:

<!-- Facebook Like Button -->
               <span style="float:right; margin-top:4px;">
                  <fb:like href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'layout="standard" width="350" action="like" colorscheme="light" /></fb:like>
               </span>
               <!-- End of Facebook Like Button -->';

As you can see it was not written with Pretty URL in mind at the time.  So when someone likes a topic it will read the topic as: http://www.stangnation.com/index.php?topic=layout%3D%22standard%22 (whereas layout%3D%22standard%22 is the bleed off from the Like button variable 'layout="standard").

I believe all that is needed here is some expert knowledge of how Pretty URL would call the topic instead so that it looked something like:

<!-- Facebook Like Button -->
               <span style="float:right; margin-top:4px;">
                  <fb:like href=', $boardurl, '?topic=', $context['pretty']['board_title']['topic'], 'layout="standard" width="350" action="like" colorscheme="light" /></fb:like>
               </span>
               <!-- End of Facebook Like Button -->';

But the problem is that the ^above code I pieced together doesn't work.  I'm just stabbing in the dark.  Can someone help me with the correct calls?  Pretty URL PLEASE? :D

vbgamer45

Change
href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'l
to

href="', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], '" layout=
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Stigmartyr

Quote from: vbgamer45 on July 22, 2010, 11:11:14 AM
Change
href=', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], 'l
to

href="', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], '" layout=

Thanks vbgamer!  That worked :D :D

vbgamer45

That FB code is bugged missing quotes + plus space

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Stigmartyr

Quote from: vbgamer45 on July 22, 2010, 11:30:13 AM
That FB code is bugged missing quotes + plus space

Are you suggesting further edits then?  Pardon my noobishness

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ukhalik2

Quote from: vbgamer45 on July 22, 2010, 09:47:29 AM
Contact your host to disable mod_security for your site.
but previously, i could do it with the prettyURLs on..
It started happening suddenly..
So, it must be not host problem.

waruna

Hye guys, sorry for asking this coz I know someone maybe have ask the same thing, I tried to search within pages but couldn't find any. Just two questions:

1. Can this mod support RC2.0?
2. Is this mod increase our search result/ranking in search engines?

Thanks in advance..
Trust of Lust

Tair

Quote from: waruna on July 23, 2010, 02:21:59 AM
Hye guys, sorry for asking this coz I know someone maybe have ask the same thing, I tried to search within pages but couldn't find any. Just two questions:

1. Can this mod support RC2.0?

Thanks in advance..

I'm using it on rc3
Possible yes, but modern search engines are ok with common, not sef, urls

waruna

Quote from: Tair on July 23, 2010, 06:33:23 AM
I'm using it on rc3

Thanks Tair. You mean this mod might not increase the search results?

Does anybody tried this mod on RC2? Because I have no idea how to upgrade the version even I follow the instruction given.
Trust of Lust

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Quote from: waruna on July 23, 2010, 10:28:32 AM
On the contrary, I think it might. I think the search engine will also search for urls and not only body. So it does increase a bit. That is why urls are also part of SEO.

Tair

Quote from: Tair on July 23, 2010, 06:33:23 AM
I'm using it on rc3

Does anybody tried this mod on RC2? Because I have no idea how to upgrade the version even I follow the instruction given.

Tried it on RC2, worked fine.

Quote from: AbuFahim⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ on July 23, 2010, 11:08:57 AM
On the contrary, I think it might. I think the search engine will also search for urls and not only body. So it does increase a bit. That is why urls are also part of SEO.

well - actually it depends on the language you use as i think.

Its fine if your board is english (as url also english). And it will possibly increase search results because url will looks like topic name (and written in the same language).

My board is russian - and as i found the results almost the same as without this mod (because search engine doesn't realize that all these cyrillic words somehow linked to this url in english characters).

Also as i already mentioned - modern search engines are completely fine with difficult urls (like smf uses)

Anyway i prefer to use this mod - because it's simplier to make strict structure of the website with it.

mrl586

Quote from: waruna on July 23, 2010, 02:21:59 AM
No. There are unnecessary board name in topic urls. If board name removed in topic urls, SMF would be better search engine optimized.

SergeantAsh

Hey VBGamer, I've just searched the thread but can't find a response to this issue.

SMF v2.00 RC3, when trying to install PrettyURLS Extras, I get the following error...

The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

Any ideas?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

SergeantAsh

Quote from: vbgamer45 on July 25, 2010, 10:01:25 PM
Try to use emulate version for RC2

Sorry I don't understand what you mean?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Advertisement: