News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Android browser crash on Simple Machine Forums

Started by MattDroz, December 27, 2011, 09:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattDroz

A buddy of mine just got a new Android OS smartphone and, whenever he visits forums using Simple Machines software, the browser crashes. He doesn't crash on other forums. Any ideas or solutions?

IchBin™

Works fine for me here on my DroidX. Tell him to download firefox and see if he has the same issue.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Oldiesmann

Works fine on my Samsung Nexus S 4G and also worked fine on my older HTC Hero. What phone does he have and what version of Android? (If he doesn't know the Android version, he can find it by hitting the menu button on the homescreen then going to Settings -> About Phone)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

MattDroz

QuoteA Verizon LG Enlighten.  I'm up to date on the Android OS, running version 2.3.4.

Oldiesmann

Ok. Is the browser just closing or is he getting a message saying that it stopped unexpectedly (with a "Force Close" button)?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

LiroyvH

2.3.4 is not really up to date... Gingerbread is currently at 2.3.6 or .7.
Check for updates using PC.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

青山 素子

Quote from: CoreISP on December 28, 2011, 12:11:02 PM
2.3.4 is not really up to date... Gingerbread is currently at 2.3.6 or .7.
Check for updates using PC.

It's VZW, so that means the lovely messed-up US market. It's possible that 2.3.4 is actually the newest release for that phone. (I'll note that T-Mobile's version of the Samsung Galaxy S - the Vibrant - is officially stuck with Android 2.2.1.)
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Joshua Dickerson

MattDroz, we need more information. If you can get a screenshot or something that might help.

I have used SMF on my Galaxy Nexus, Droid, several Bionic and X's, an Eris, Droid 2, and pretty much every Android phone out right now without ever having this problem.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

nend

Works fine for me with my Samsung Galaxy 5 using a Custom CM7.1 Port on Gingerbread 2.3.7.

Do they use a custom ROM, if so then this is more than likely a ROM problem. Almost had the same problem using the Port I am using now, all I had to do was edit the VM Heap Size since it was way too small, works like a charm now.

But my problem was not a SMF problem but a ROM problem. The same would be if I changed up some settings on my PC and then certain sites quit working. Since a vast majority of phones reported here have no problems I would definitely put your problem in this category. This doesn't mean that I am not willing to help you troubleshoot the problem. ;)

More details are needed though for anyone here to help you troubleshoot the problem. Can they get the logcat of the device? They may need root access to do this, if they can't it is understandable. What browser are they using, does this happen in all browsers or can they download a new browser from the market to test if the problem happens in it? Is the phone rooted, have they downloaded any tools to root the phone, if so have they added root apps that modify the system? Are they using a custom ROM, if so have they contacted the developer to see if this problem occurs for anyone else who is using this custom ROM? Have they sideloaded apps, if so what apps have they sideloaded?

Advertisement: