News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need help for my first install on MS SQL 2008

Started by Poirot, March 07, 2014, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirot

Hi

I was reading your manual and for me it's not very clear what I need to do in order to do my first install.

I did however downloaded all 3 files

Any help will be appreciated

I am fairly new and not really a programmer.

Thank you

Alain

Illori

sschefer

My Advice - Install MySQL CE and PHPMyAdmin and use them.

SQL is a standard right, it should just work? Not exactly, every DB server product is supposed to be able to do strict SQL but they also support there own form of extensions and that's where the problems occur.

You would have to write the map and converter if you want to run it on MS SQL. You can't just go into the SM code and make it all strict SQL because it will break. Trust me on this, I played with the idea.

If you are insistent on running it on MS SQL then check out Source Forge. They have a converter and map for WordPress that would give you a head start. Be prepared for a lot of testing and realize that once you do it you won't have any support.

Have I done it? Yes. Would I do it on a production server.. NO. My WordPress sites run on MSSQL but my SM sites run on MySQL with tables setup in a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM.

Advertisement: