QUESTION that i hope can be answered

Started by UKLONGDRIVESERIES, January 14, 2010, 08:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKLONGDRIVESERIES

I would guess there is a reasonably simple solution to this.

I have a forum (surprise) but I do not want guests to view it, there always appears to be large numbers of guests lurking and I want members to have to log in to view the pages, can this be done?

thank you

kenny

I doubt I will be on here much but you can email me via my profile

thanks

oh if you happen to own a golf company i may want to speak to you!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Check out your admin panel at:
Admin -> Features and options -> Allow guests to browse the forum

:)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

alienine

One thing you may want to consider is that not all of the guests lurking around will automatically convert to members when you do this. Personally I resent having to register on forums just to view content and I rarely do so.

Another thing to consider is indexing by search engines...

UKLONGDRIVESERIES

hello

thank you for the replies

The forum is set up to support a golf competition and I really only want entrants to be able to view the forum.

I have used features and options and removed all approvals for guests, but still i have 50 as we speak!

any other suggestions.

thank you

kenny

Arantor

Well, best suggestion I have is to set registration to Member Approval, which means you have to approve all new accounts, meaning you can limit it only to those who actually are entrants (Admin > Registration > Settings)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: UKLONGDRIVESERIES on January 15, 2010, 11:34:30 AM
I have used features and options and removed all approvals for guests, but still i have 50 as we speak!
If you removed the check mark from the option I gave above, then all guests you see online after that are only able to see a login page, and none of your forum contents :) So if guests are your only worry, then no need to worry anymore.
You can verify this by logging out yourself, and trying to view your forum.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: