News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Package Manager problem...

Started by [RNG]Seby, April 08, 2013, 07:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[RNG]Seby

Hi! I have a problem with Package Manager... Soon I have moved my forum from an host to another, I have used repair_settings.php, I have made all to work good, but whed I was entering in Package Manager, the page gets white and it dosen't load... I have set by cPanel the newest php verssion, and all was starting to work good, but when I try to Install/UnInstall any Package, it gives my the next error:
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!
iar cand incerc sa incarc un Package imi apare asa:
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"The package you are trying to install cannot be located. You may want to manually upload the package to your Packages directory."

I have tried to upload the Package by File Zilla (FTP), but it gives me an error when trying to upload... I have seen some Topics where you all told us to make permission 777 to Packages Folder and all files contain in it, but it dosen't make something... I have entered in Package Manager by Admin Panel and maked by there all permissions to 777, but nothing...
Today I have seen that all my Packages works very good, but in Package Manager it looks like are UnInstalled, it shows me the button: "Install Now" and in "Installed Packages" are no Packages... Please, I need very much to be helped because I can't install or uninstall modes...
Someone told me that I can delete "public_html" and reinstall all, but when I have moved from an host to another just the phpMyAdmin, the data base dosen't moved, it has moved just when I have moved all public_html, so I am scared because if I will delete it, I will lose all the forum accounts, posts, topics, boards, all my work...
P.S: I need help so soon and sorry for my very bad English...
I have posted to the Romanian Board, but nobody tryed to help me...

Thank you for reading my "novel"!

kat

Quote from: [RNG]Seby on April 08, 2013, 07:56:08 AMI have tried to upload the Package by File Zilla (FTP), but it gives me an error when trying to upload...

The error being?

When you use Filezilla, do you have the "Transfer type" set to "Binary"? ("Auto", which is the default, is somewhat buggy).

Have you read this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=499374.0

Especially the part about "CHOWN"?

Kindred

the database and the files are completely different.

Let's address your issues and solve them one at a time.
1- When you move hosts,
    a-you must take a backup of your FILES and restore them on the new host.
    b- you must take a backup of your DATABASE and restore/import that on the new host
    c- you need to run repair_settings.php to correct the database connection, the file paths and the urls.
    d- you will need to go into SMF admin and correct any additional paths, like some custom themes, some mods, possible attachments and/or avatars.

2- permissions and directories.
   a- you must have a temp subdirectory in the Packages directory
   b- file permissions (chmod) differ form host to host, depending on how they have apache and php set up. Usually 755 for directories and 644 for files is appropriate.  Some hosts will require 775 or even 777 for directories an 664 or even 666 for files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

[RNG]Seby

Quote from: K@ on April 08, 2013, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: [RNG]Seby on April 08, 2013, 07:56:08 AMI have tried to upload the Package by File Zilla (FTP), but it gives me an error when trying to upload...

The error being?

When you use Filezilla, do you have the "Transfer type" set to "Binary"? ("Auto", which is the default, is somewhat buggy).

Have you read this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=499374.0

Especially the part about "CHOWN"?

Yes, I have read this, but I'm not an English Master and too I'm not an php Master :( .
And yes, it's selected "Auto".
The error it's: 553 Can't open that file: Disk quota exceeded
Critic error when trying to transfer the file...
My File Zilla it's in Romanian, and I'm not a good Translator...

Quote from: Kindred on April 08, 2013, 10:00:24 AM
the database and the files are completely different.

Let's address your issues and solve them one at a time.
1- When you move hosts,
    a-you must take a backup of your FILES and restore them on the new host.
    b- you must take a backup of your DATABASE and restore/import that on the new host
    c- you need to run repair_settings.php to correct the database connection, the file paths and the urls.
    d- you will need to go into SMF admin and correct any additional paths, like some custom themes, some mods, possible attachments and/or avatars.

2- permissions and directories.
   a- you must have a temp subdirectory in the Packages directory
   b- file permissions (chmod) differ form host to host, depending on how they have apache and php set up. Usually 755 for directories and 644 for files is appropriate.  Some hosts will require 775 or even 777 for directories an 664 or even 666 for files.

1. a- Yes
    b- Yes
    c- Yes, all of them are correctly.
    d- I don't know where is SMF Admin... Admin Panel? And, if it's true, all Settings from Admin Panel are correctly.
2. a- I don't have that subdirectory, and I want to make it, it dosen't works... I can't modify somethings in there...
    b- I have set for all public_html permission 777.

When I try to create that "temp" folder, it tells me this: 550 Can't create directory: Disk quota exceeded

kat

"553 Can't open that file: Disk quota exceeded" means that you've run out of space, on the server.

I suspect your host will ask for money, to increase that. :(

Kindred

yup... for that problem, you need to talk to your host. (and that explains why you can't upload any mods as well. the system can not create the temp directory nor save the uploaded file)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

[RNG]Seby

Quote from: Kindred on April 08, 2013, 12:06:18 PM
yup... for that problem, you need to talk to your host. (and that explains why you can't upload any mods as well. the system can not create the temp directory nor save the uploaded file)

Ooo, so, just the host can repair this?! If it's correctly, am so happy because for me it's easy :D . Thank you very much, guys! I will talk with it and I will edit this post or, if I'm too happy, I will make Double-Post :)) (joke).

[RNG]Seby

Quote from: K@ on April 08, 2013, 01:33:02 PM
You do that! :)

Thank you, guys! All works very good, SMF was the best, is the best and will the best!

Advertisement: