News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechronic2001

pm sent, thanks for your reply ;)

snoopy_virtual

@thechronic2001

There is one thing I don't understand.

That code you wrote there is for mod httpBL and this topic is for support with mod StopSpammer.

Are you installing both mods or only one?

And BTW, you could have sent the PM to both of us. I cannot see it.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

thechronic2001

sorry mate, i installed both of them, i just got confused on what was the problem as i was working from both your tutorials at the time and it was a long night lol
all sorted now, thanks Wizzlefits for helping me out and thanks for the mod snoopy looks impressive  ;)

snoopy_virtual

Glad to hear the problem is sorted.  ;)

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

gimmiefreebies

Quote from: jrstark on December 16, 2010, 01:28:08 PM
I just installed this mod.  I see others talking about checking their entire member list, but I can't find how to do this.

Link to faq:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=283309.msg1920848#post_database

FYI - the FAQ doesn't really explain how to check the whole existing member list. I have 500+ pages of members and would rather not have to check each member, or even each page.  Is there a way to check the entire member list all at once?

Thanks for any help. :)

snoopy_virtual

The quick answer is you need to check every page one by one. There is no other way. Let me try to explain it a little more:

It depends on the kind of server you have, but all the servers have a limit on how big a script they can handle and for how long.

Checking the members with this script to see if they are or not inside the known spammers database uses server time and resources, and my experience is that most servers cannot handle more than 30 members at a time, so that's why I did the script to be able to check only one page at a time. (The normal settings when you install SMF for the first time is to have 30 members per page).

Of course, as I said, it depends on the kind of server you have, so if you think your server is very powerful and your host won't complain if you use a lot of its resources, you can try and change the number of members per page (don't remember just now where is it, but it's somewhere inside the admin section of the forum) and experiment putting there a bigger number.

For example, if you put 500 members in every page you will need to check only 30 pages, but if you try this and you see the system hung down, you will need to try with a lower number.

Anyway, I would suggest you to put first your forum in maintenance mode while you are doing this, to be sure that you are the only one using the forum at that moment (and save server resources).

The good thing is you only need to check once the full list of your members. Once you have done that, if your forum is configured properly and you have the right mods installed, you will need to check manually only a couple of members a month.

And remember (if you do this change) to put the number of members per page back to 30 (more or less) when you finish, or it will be very difficult for you to manage your member's list.

gimmiefreebies

Okay, thanks so much for your reply!

teos55

SMF 1.1.3 default theme Simple Portal 2.3.3

Uninstalling stop spammer 2.3.9  fails on Modifications.spanish-utf8.php

Checked the file.   Has white space in "//   MOD Stop Spammer - START" and
                                                          "//      MOD Stop Spammer - END"

Using notepadd++, I couldnt manage to remove them. Can you pls provide a working one
with no white space in it.

Mine attached

nb. copying Modifications.english-utf8.php  "test successful" to Modifications.spanish-ut8.php also fails.

snoopy_virtual

I have been checking that file and I have seen that the problem is somebody has opened the file with a Windows program (either Notepad, Wordpad or something similar).

Those programs sometimes add at the end of each line a hidden \r symbol (carriage return) without telling you they are doing it, and also the UTF-8 encoding was changed, as those programs don't normally treat the encoding properly.

To edit any file used in a program (like these ones for example) you need to open them always with proper programs. Never use Notepad, Wordpad, Word, or any of these ****** programs.

If you have Linux, almost any of the text editors on there are good, but I always use "gedit".

If you use only windows, the best program I know to edit these kind of files in windows is a program called "Notepad++" (it's free and open source, so download it from their official site).

==============

I have edited the file to correct those mistakes, so now it should give you no errors when un-installing.

==============

Anyway, in this case you didn't had to worry too much about it. The error you were getting with this file when you were un-installing the mod was because the un-installer was trying to delete all the lines about this mod inside that file but couldn't do it because the lines had been changed since the installation.

That was the only thing the un-installer needed to do with this file.

You could have ignore the error completely, continue with the un-install and delete the lines inside the file yourself manually. (All the lines from "//   MOD Stop Spammer - START" to "//   MOD Stop Spammer - END").

Of course you didn't knew that and anyway if you had edited the file with the windows Notepad you could have leave it unusable for other mods.

teos55

With the modified spanish-utf8, I still get the same error, so I'll manually remove the lines .
Pls also note that I use notepad++  with the symbol show option for all and utf8 clicked, I see the same white space at //  --> MOD ...

Maybe it's my notepad++ level that causes the error but I used same notepad++ for all php files I changed upto now ( maybe 100s)
Thanks for the info provided....

teos55

Oops , sorry,

I made the changes in test system, but accidentally tried to uninstall in production :-),
Now it works ....

Thanks for the efforts ...

snoopy_virtual

I am not very sure about all the symbols you can see with Notepad++ as I have used it only a few times, but in all these PHP files you should have always at the end of each line only a \n symbol (new line).

All the lines in the file you gave me had at the end of each line 2 symbols \r and \n (carriage return and new line) that is the standard for windows files.

teos55

You're right in that every file has CRLF  ( Carriage return, linefeed) . But this is valid for all php files
I've updated upto now  (source and language files) , and didnt face nay problem.
I dont know...

snoopy_virtual

That depends on who is been doing the files.

In some mods you can see that all the lines have CRLF at the end and other mods have only LF.

All of them should have only LF, but if one mod has CRLF when you are installing it and you don't change that, you won't have any problem when you un-install it.

It is strange what you say about Source files. Maybe in your forum they have been modified somehow. If you download a new original copy of SMF and you check the Source files you should see they have only LF at the end of each line.

Or maybe you have something wrong in the configuration of your Notepad++, I don't know.

The more strange thing is when you say that all your Source files have CRLF and they work. I don't understand it.

teos55

Sorry for misleading, yes checked source files from largeupgrade, they all have only LF at the end of each line.
  What I ment is, I always use the same notepad++ with the same settings (parms) for all type of mods upto now. I didnt notice the difference.
Thanks for clerifying.

teos55

Found a solution with notepad++  5.9.

- Open the file with crlf
- Choose edit option  "EOL"
- this option has  windows, unix and mac options,  choose unix
- viola !!!  All lines end with only LF

Thanks again leading me to search for this. 

hxxp // sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=Replacing_Newlines

Endless learning :-)

snoopy_virtual

The day that I don't learn a new thing will be a very sad day for me.  ;)

Asking questions, looking for answers and always trying to learn something new is the way all the Science has always develop. And it's also a lot of fun.  ;D

GlitchPC

Thanks, for a GREAT mod!

Getting this error after install:

http://xxxxxxxx.xxx/index.php?action=admin;area=regcenter;sa=settings
8: Undefined index: stopspammer_faildb_sub
File: /xxx/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxx/Sources/ManageRegistration.php
Line: 283

I get this error when enabling, or disabling your mod.

Line 283 of ManageRegistration.php:

array('check', 'notify_new_registration'),

Any suggestions?

cassb

I locked myself out of my forum because I accidentally checked the box for my account and then ran "Check" to check all accounts for spammers.  Apparently the request didn't go through, but in the meantime now all accounts are locked waiting for Admin approval, including mine.  How can I restore my account?

Thanks!
Bryan

GlitchPC

Something may be amiss with the install of the mod, though I'm not the coder.  In a perfect install...the option to select an Admin account is not available.  How you were able to select your account (if you're an Admin) is beyond me.

Advertisement: