Old Version upgrade-but new server move issues?Should I join Charter Membership?

Started by AnnieK23, April 19, 2024, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieK23

Hithere.  We have been using simple machines for 13 years now.  My husband had not kept up with the updates and upgrades ,so we are running 2.0.9
We are moving to a new server - so some requirements have changed... and when I initally did a full install of the latest version and tried to restore the database,it was not compatible.
Will I need to first (on current server) upgrade the 2.0.9 to the current version, back that up and then move the whole thing ober to the new server?
Would Paid charter membership be the better way to go and would this (payment) allow them to help me upgrade and move to the new server?
I would need to look into what is diff with the 2 servers and make sure the old one would even be able to handle the upgrade?
Any info / help is appreciated... we would like to get this done asap before we are double billed for space on both servers for May. 
If this is posted in the wrong location - I apologize - i left the maintaining to the hubs and he just didnt do it regularly over the past several years lol

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: AnnieK23 on April 19, 2024, 10:40:39 AMWe are moving to a new server - so some requirements have changed... and when I initally did a full install of the latest version and tried to restore the database,it was not compatible.

By latest version, do you mean 2.1.4.? If so, you must run the upgrader as well after the database restoration so the database matches the forum files.

Quote from: AnnieK23 on April 19, 2024, 10:40:39 AMWill I need to first (on current server) upgrade the 2.0.9 to the current version, back that up and then move the whole thing ober to the new server?

Personally that is what I would recommend.

Quote from: AnnieK23 on April 19, 2024, 10:40:39 AMI would need to look into what is diff with the 2 servers and make sure the old one would even be able to handle the upgrade?

That would be wise. Make sure that the new server meets all SMF2.1 requirements. For more please see the following link.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.1:Requirements_and_recommendations

Quote from: AnnieK23 on April 19, 2024, 10:40:39 AMWould Paid charter membership be the better way to go and would this (payment) allow them to help me upgrade and move to the new server?

If you become a Charter Member we will handle the upgrade for you. However I am not sure if charter membership does cover the server move though.

AnnieK23

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 19, 2024, 11:00:04 AMBy latest version, do you mean 2.1.4.? If so, you must run the upgrader as well after the database restoration so the database matches the forum files.
Yes that is what I mean... but I will check that the current server can handle it with the requirements
Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 19, 2024, 11:00:04 AMPersonally that is what I would recommend.
ok thought so lol

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 19, 2024, 11:00:04 AMThat would be wise. Make sure that the new server meets all SMF2.1 requirements. For more please see the following link.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.1:Requirements_and_recommendations

great thank you!
Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 19, 2024, 11:00:04 AMIf you become a Charter Member we will handle the upgrade for you. However I am not sure if charter membership does cover the server move though.
well baby steps first at least.. and let me get the currently running one up to date.  I will go join Charter Membership in a few moments.  Thanks for your help!

Advertisement: