News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

Quote from: mark7144 on August 25, 2008, 04:43:48 AMSorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way to remove the board name from topic URLs? I've noticed a small dip in SERPS since moving from SEO4SMF purely because of this.
How would that work?

Quote from: jepot5 on August 25, 2008, 05:00:30 AMso you create a php file and run this on your forum's root directory?
Exactly.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

blondeamon

Quote from: Dannii on August 25, 2008, 12:16:50 AM
Uninstall the versions you have, and install the single 0.8.4 package.

Ok thats the one i have installed right now and nothing else.But when i go to pretty urls panel and i click  Enable URL rewriting and then Topics when i go to the forum and click to any topic the result is error page with this message:

Redirect Loop

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

Whats wrong ?
Always looking for the best

www.kamenos.gr  Greek Gaming Community

Dannii

Do you have anything in the error log?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

blondeamon

"File: /home/stud/blondeamon/public_html/forum/Themes/default/Admin.template.php (pretty_settings sub template - eval?)
Line: 63'

This error appeared many times

Dannii

That's not relevant. Are you sure the uninstallation of the really old versions and installation of 0.8.4 went well? What's your .htaccess?

blondeamon

#   Pretty URLs mod
#   http://code.google.com/p/prettyurls/
#   .htaccess file generated automatically on: August 25, 2008, 18:44

RewriteEngine on

Dannii

And that's all? Can you try completely uninstalling the mod and deleting all the database settings and tables starting with pretty_? Then try reinstalling the mod again.

brianjw

Yes, I am absolutely sure Dannii.
See:

// FCKeditor
if($context['TPortal']['use_wysiwyg']=='2' || $context['TPortal']['use_wysiwyg']=='1')
$context['html_headers'] .= '
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
  function FullEditor(BodyName)
  {
   var FCKContent = new FCKeditor(BodyName) ;
   FCKContent.BasePath = "' . $boardurl . '/FCKeditor/" ;
   FCKContent.ToolbarSet = "Default"
   FCKContent.Height = "400";
   FCKContent.Width = "100%";
   FCKContent.ReplaceTextarea() ;
  }
  function SmallerEditor(BodyName)
  {
   var FCKComment = new FCKeditor(BodyName) ;
   FCKComment.BasePath = "' . $boardurl . '/FCKeditor/" ;
   FCKComment.ToolbarSet = "Default"
   FCKComment.Height = "400";
   FCKComment.Width = "100%";
   FCKComment.ReplaceTextarea() ;
  }
</script>';

TimUSA

I searched like crazy through this thread but could not find anything. has anyone gotten this to work with tp articles? if so how?

Dannii

Brian, can you email me a copy of the html of the problem page with: pretty URLs on, and pretty URLs off.

Tim, yes with the extras package.

brianjw

I've sent you an email. It was send via the smf email user system or whatever because I don't know your email and it doesn't like to tell me so I sent it by clicking on the little mail icon and it took me to a form in which I filled out everything you asked.

Let me know if you get it. My email starts with brianjw. ;)

Dannii

In the file you sent me, lines 87 and 96 need to be changed (and are repeated as lines 745 and 754.)

brianjw

Well in the html source the line numbers are different. Can you send me like 5 lines of the code and tell me the part i need to change in each 5 lines so I can have a chunk of what the code looks like?

Thanks. :)

Dannii

They're both like this:
FCKComment.BasePath = "FCKeditor/" ;

They're probably coming from a different file from the ones you've fixed already. Do a text search over the whole of the TP package.

GrayFox

I installed Pretty URLs.... and now everything but the home page is giving me 404 errors!
Help..... please? It won't even let me into the admin control panel. :(

brianjw

Found it. If you want to post the bug fix on tiny portal or something:

Open TPmodules.php in ./Sources/
Code (FIND) Select

// FCKeditor
if($context['TPortal']['use_wysiwyg']=='2' || $context['TPortal']['use_wysiwyg']=='1')
{
FCKContent.BasePath = "FCKeditor/" ;
}
{
FCKComment.Height = "200";
}
</script>';

Code (REPLACE) Select

// FCKeditor
{
}
{
}
</script>';

This problem has now been solved as the editor is functioning. Thank you very much! :)

brianjw

CraigPal

Quote from: mark7144 on August 25, 2008, 04:43:48 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way to remove the board name from topic URLs? I've noticed a small dip in SERPS since moving from SEO4SMF purely because of this.

I have found the Pretty URLs in combination with the vBulletin Style Meta tags mod works better than either alone. They're a great combo for SEO.

Someone made a version for 1.1.5 http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=230321.msg1557714#msg1557714

The 2.0 version is here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1138

mark7144

Quote from: Dannii on August 25, 2008, 08:03:34 AM
How would that work?
In the other mod, you could select a tick box and all the topic URLs would not include the board name in the URL. This shortened the URL and therefore gave the topic keywords more strength.

Include board in URL: http://dev.eldacar.com/smf/pretty-urls-discussion/maintenance/
Remove board from URL: http://dev.eldacar.com/smf/maintenance/

Can that be done for this mod then?

Dannii

Quote from: GrayFox on August 25, 2008, 09:22:04 PMI installed Pretty URLs.... and now everything but the home page is giving me 404 errors!
Help..... please? It won't even let me into the admin control panel. :(
See your other topic where I replied.

Quote from: brianjw on August 25, 2008, 09:59:36 PMFound it. If you want to post the bug fix on tiny portal or something:

Open TPmodules.php in ./Sources/
Code (FIND) Select

// FCKeditor
{
FCKContent.BasePath = "FCKeditor/" ;
}
{
}
</script>';

Code (REPLACE) Select

// FCKeditor
{
}
{
}
</script>';

This problem has now been solved as the editor is functioning. Thank you very much! :)

brianjw
Okay cool, I'll report it.

Quote from: mark7144 on August 26, 2008, 04:28:21 AMIn the other mod, you could select a tick box and all the topic URLs would not include the board name in the URL. This shortened the URL and therefore gave the topic keywords more strength.

Include board in URL: http://dev.eldacar.com/smf/pretty-urls-discussion/maintenance/
Remove board from URL: http://dev.eldacar.com/smf/maintenance/

Can that be done for this mod then?
No, because then there'd be no way to tell the difference between topics and boards. If you disabled the boards filter the topics filter could be edited to remove the boards from their URLs, but otherwise no.

mark7144

Quote from: Dannii on August 26, 2008, 06:24:28 AM
If you disabled the boards filter the topics filter could be edited to remove the boards from their URLs
Can you elaborate? Surely that seems the answer then if it does what I want... maybe have it as a feature in a future version.

Advertisement: