News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

What are these called?

Started by Gwenwyfar, October 07, 2014, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenwyfar

Its common for forums to have those tags that make some text appear depending on who sees/posts it, and I see smf has at least some of this, but how are these called, and where can I find a list of them? Do they work only on newsletters?

Like these:
{FORUMNAME} {REALNAME} {FORUMNAME} {REGARDS}
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

They are placeholders in the email templates. They are specific to each email template as to what is available.

The list of what is available in newsletters is actually available from the admin panel... on the newsletter page it actually has a link for you to click which tells you what's available.

Gwenwyfar

Ahh. Knew I saw a list somewhere, but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Are there any mods to add those onto posts? (not that its an important feature, but its nice to have)

Arantor

Not that I know of and actually the times they would be useful have shown to be fairly rare.

Gwenwyfar

Yeah, its more like a fun feature than actual usefulness (the only actual usefulness I can think of would be the news and similar), but that's the kind of thing the forum I'm administrating uses somewhat frequently since its a small, more closed community. On any case its not important, thanks for the answers! =)

Gwenwyfar

Just another question on this: Is there any way to use one of those with passwords? As in, send a newsletter that will contain the password of the user receiving it?

I know there is this from creating an account manually, for instance, (the "email user password" option) but I searched around and can't seem to find any mods/info on if its possible to do this "in mass". I'm creating all the accounts on the forum manually, and I want to mail everyone with their new acc/password, but AFTER they're all created, not at the moment I create each one. Is this possible or I'll have to find another way? A mass reactivation link would work too.

(Either way its fine if its not possible, I have a couple of other options for this, this would just be the easiest/better way).

Illori

SMF does not know what a users password is due to it being hashed. so you cant have SMF email the user their password.

margarett

This http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1224
Should help in showing the name of the current user viewing anything that parses BBC.

Your other request is a bit more difficult. The main reason is that you don't have access to the raw password after registration. It is hashed at that point and it can never be retrieved again...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Gwenwyfar

@you mod: Thanks! That already covers most of the usage of these sorts of tags for my forum :)

As for the other issue... I see, that explains a lot of why its not possible. Thought these first-time emails with passwords used some sort of system to get the password that one time that could be reused for other things somehow. I'll just go for the other options then :)

Advertisement: