Windows 2003 server vs the Linux options (ubuntu/suse/redhat)

Started by johaseo, June 07, 2009, 02:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johaseo

Is there a huge difference between installation everything on a windows server 2003 instead vs installing everything on a Linux server?

I haven't installed my first non windows server yet .... so I'd like to know more about how much power I loose if I go with the thing I know: windows 2003 server

also if I install SMF on a windows 2003 server ... how big of an issue is it to move everything onto a linux/ubuntu/suse distribution?

Vekseid

Unless you run an immense forum you're not going to notice much difference.

Apache + MySQL + php run on windows just fine (for the most part). A few mods might not work until php 5.3 but most things should be okay.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

青山 素子

Quote from: Vekseid on June 07, 2009, 07:38:46 AM
Unless you run an immense forum you're not going to notice much difference.

Agreed with that, although you'll also lose time by having all the hotfix installs and reboots. Windows is generally much higher maintenance, in my experience. I wouldn't recommend using it as a server unless you have some specific technology that requires it (ASP.NET or other MS-only thing).

Also that GUI takes up memory and CPU even if nobody is logged in. This means you have fewer resources to the core task of serving (I don't have X run by default on Linux for this reason), but you'd really only notice it if you are heavily using resources.

In the end, you should probably go with what is more comfortable to you if you need something up quickly. Once that is done, learn about the other solution so you can have more options the next time.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

johaseo

Thanks guys .... sounds good to go then .... looking forward to have my first SMF up and running soon

pgordemer

As much as purists on both sides will argue that XXX is better. I have SMF large installations on both windows and linux servers on our in-hosue server farm (100,000+) messages on 2 of them.

If hardware is equal, in reality the enduser performance is almost identical.

If you know SMF well, then the platform doesn't really matter. A few minor path changes and manually changing securities on directories and thats all. We routinely move them between servers for project and the enduser isn't the wiser.

Dannii

Me and my housemate were just discussing...

If you don't have ssh out of the box, you're a broken OS. Looking at you windows.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Advertisement: