News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Apostrophes and other symbols suddenly showing as a ?

Started by skeletonkiss, May 06, 2013, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeletonkiss

I've done a lot of looking around and I realize this is usually caused by editing in Microsoft word, and is fixed, usually, with converting to utf-8.  I want to preface this by saying I TRIED that and it did not help.

My problem is, in the last day or so, posts on my forum began to show up with quotes, the little tightly spaced ... and various ' and " showing up as a ?. Now, I have not installed any mods in the last week or so and this problem seems to have started up spontaneously.

My question is, is there anything in any of the templates/files/etc that would do this? I did edit something minor in the display.template.php file but restoring to a clean version didn't help the problem.

I had a test board with identical set up showing everything just fine so it's not a problem with my host/server.

Converting to utf-8 did not help, and as it was not a problem until yesterday I cannot figure out if I mucked up something in one of the files but if anyone knows if editing ANY of the source/template/theme files would account for this please let me know so I can try to track this down....

Again, it's not, to my knowledge, a mod or server issue, but probably the result of me editing something in a file, I'm hoping, so I need to figure out if that would account for this error and how to fix it.

TheListener

skeletonkiss

Its not a mod issue, it wasn't happening before the other night and I have not installed any since about a week before that. The ONLY thing that has changed was I edited a line of code in my display.template.php file, to alter the border of this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=475

I just made the border showing around the awards invisible but even restoring the code hasn't fixed things...

TheListener

OK so did you make a backup of the forum before you tried to make the changes?

Haveyou made a post in the mods topic regarding the issue?

What is the line of code you tried to change? Please attach the file to your next post and someone may have a look for you.

(Won't be me as I don't do code  ??? )

skeletonkiss

As it was literally just changing the 'border=1px black' to border=0 I doubt that was it...But I'm confused.

What I think the problem is now after looking through things, is that when I restored a backup of the messages.sql earlier today after something broke it, presumably my first attempt to convert things to utf-8, it's changing all the symbols when it uploads.

Basically the raw sql file on my comp shows everything fine, but when I import it, it changes everything into question marks.

So I'm thinking I need to change the line "40101 SET NAMES utf8" and import it as iso-8859-1, but when I try the following, it gives me an error:
"!40101 SET NAMES iso-8859-1"

#1115 - Unknown character set: 'iso'

So what am I doing wrong?

Basically, I want to import this database AS iso-8859-1, NOT utf-8, as it seems to be converting it when it imports and messing up all the posts.

Advertisement: